Home Hobby Lathe For Turning Metal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by QuadumphUK, Dec 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Anyone used one of the small hobby lathes you can get on e-bay ?
    One of small Clarke ones or similar.
    Got to make the wheel spacers for rear wheel and wondered if they were any good for small jobs.
    Last time I did any machining was at school so should be fun learning again.
    Cheers for any advice

• Like Like x 4
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I recently bought one from Chester Machine tools, (the Hobby Shop section) there was a good deal on a package with a drill chuck, 4 jaw chuck and revolving tail stock in the price.

They will turn well but you have to take small cuts and buy some decent cutting tools rather than the cheap set with the lathe.

Most of the small lathes seem to be made from the same castings, just painted and badged differently.

• Like Like x 3
  3. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    I have to agree with them all seeming the same but different colours. Clarke one is about £6-700 but similar one from unbranded place is about half price but seemingly the same machine. Will have to keep eye out see if can get one second hand a bit cheaper. Then buy some decent tools

• Like Like x 3
  4. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    If all you need is a couple of wheel spacers it will be expensive!!

the chucks will do up to 3"/80mm bar but that size of steel (bright) bar aint cheap, unless you have a friend or work in industry?
    Decent tip tools will be needed unless you have a bench grinder to sharpen HSS bits?
    It all starts to mount up; I teach engineering in a college and can access lathes mills etc but if didn't would think twice about the outlay?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #6 Eldon, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    You do get what you pay for, sometimes!

My dro cost as much as your looking to spend so dont expect too much.
    Don't forget the machine is the tip of the iceberg but a 4 jaw chuck is imperative to dial out any runout discrepancy :p

Just buying the spacers from an engineering company may be a far cheaper option.

Mine below represents over a £4k investment just for the working lathe plus tooling.

20190309_184858.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    The expense side is true but if need lots of adjustments can be expensive going to and fro to engineering companies. One of the cheaper £400 could do the job. Also not many engineering companies near me. Could be I just have to keep the Trophy wheel as it fits straight in. Just have to see whats possible

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Best option is to pick up something SH and a bit bigger as a lot of those small jobs struggle...i would love a nice new lathe with better speed control and screw cutting but i manage with my 100year old Drumond.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  9. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    I`ve seen this sort before if remember correctly is called a Round bed Lathe (?)
    They sem to be reasonably priced aswell. I did wonder how you make sure the centres are centred when toolstock is mounted on a round bed ? It also appeals to me to use and recycle the older lathes and learn imperial measurements. Tell me not to be nosey but what did the old girl set you back ? You`ve given me food for thought, Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    An estate sale of a former machinist may be a good place to start, all the accessories and tooling can easily exceed the lathe costs. I let my lathe and mill go several years ago, long story. Local college has industry sponsored and subsided lab. $125 per month to play with the state of the art machinery.

https://gocreate.com/why.php

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    If you have the room an old lathe would be a good starting point, check out local industrial auctions, but moving it will cost? will need a HIAB at least.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Yes Drummond round bed more info here http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummondroundbed/
    Mine was given to me nearly fifty years ago by an engineer friend having a clear out and i have thought about leaving it or selling several times when moved or traveled but very glad i didn't,
    Despite the chuck being knackered and having to center stuff with a rubber mallet and not move until i have finish the job its very good for stuff like spacers and i also make stuff for my hobby so its reasonably precise....when you learn a few tricks its surprising what you can do.

• Like Like x 2
  13. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Thats what i`m most loking forward to, learning new tricks. I enjoyed metalwork at school so be good to rekindle the interest. me thinks will invest in an older lathe rather than new one. Lets see how it goes and to learning new tricks. Will have to keep my eye out and research a bit to see which is best option

• Like Like x 2
  14. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Did have ago at this option years ago at college , learning lathe and milling but unfortunately 2 months into course had a motorcycle accident resulting in compound fracture of my femur so couldn`t finish course. There were a few old engineers who only paid for course to get access to machinery. One of them saying he had built a model v8 engine that actually fired up, sadly because of accident didn`t get to see it as he said he would bring in to show us newbies

• Like Like x 3
  15. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Just be mindful that some of these don't have graduations on the screw collars so how much, say cut you are taking off for example, is a bit of a guess!!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    What a great idea ;)