Holy Rip Off Batman

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Mike in it, Mar 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike in it

Mike in it Member

Nov 30, 2020
    London/Essex
    .Looked for a pair of Daytona boots with raised instep to help with my short legs........Superbike shop £348 but out of stock........found them at a shop on E-Bay for £335 in Germany .......duly ordered and paid for.......yesterday I received a letter from Parcelforce asking for import duty and import vat, a total of.......£147 ,
    I should have known better and in future I'll stick to buying in Britain

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Never used to be like this of course-it's just a part of Taking Back Control : unamused:. That said, I order parts from Italy and nothing appears to have changed. Just pay the carriage, get my stuff. Maybe it's because it's commercial, I don't know. But yes, plenty are finding out the hard way that it's perfectly possible to double the price of your goods now.... :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

New rules introduced on January 1 change the way VAT is collected on purchases from the EU.

For those over £135, tax is now collected at the point of delivery, rather than at the point of sale.

Previously VAT would have been included at the online checkout, but now customers are being asked to pay it on their doorstep — which can be an unexpected charge.

For goods under £135, the changes affect EU retailers with UK business worth less than £70,000 a year. Previously, these firms paid VAT in their own country, but now they must register for UK VAT.

But some firms are still unaware of the rules and shoppers have reported being asked to pay VAT twice, at the point of sale and delivery. HMRC insists these demands have been made in error by the couriers.

Online marketplaces such as Amazon or eBay deal with the VAT.

The Government says the new rules ensure goods from EU and non-EU countries are 'treated in the same way' and UK businesses 'are not disadvantaged by competition from VAT-free imports'.

What about customs duties?

Before Brexit, goods could move freely between the UK and the EU without import taxes.

Now, for goods costing more than £135, customs duties may apply, which can range from 0 per cent to 25 per cent.

And any extras?

Couriers have started charging additional 'handling fees' to shoppers to cover admin costs and extra customs checks.

Royal Mail, for example, is charging an £8 fee. DHL charges 2.5 per cent of the amount paid to clear customs with a minimum fee of £11.

Hope this explains a bit of it :)

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #4 Pegscraper, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Death and taxes pal, death and taxes.:mad:

I ordered some American made gauges for the car from Canada a few years back. The UK stockist had none and said they would have to order some so I thought I might as well do that myself. They were delivered in just over 2 weeks and I saved £40, or so I thought. 2 months later I got a bill for ID and VAT from DHL. The bill went in the bin and 3 months after that a got a "red letter" bill threatening pay up or face court action. They catch up with you eventually.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Thank feck I got all my BMW parts from Germany last year! :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. David Reynolds

Jun 26, 2020
    Browns Valley CA
    I feel for you guys, the bloodsucking never stops - that being said you would think the vendors would be more up front about taxes and surcharges at the time of purchase to avoid nasty surprises...those that are should be rewarded with future business, those that aren't should piss off, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

From what I know of it, a large amount of the grief is coming from couriers incorrectly adding VAT prior to delivery. EU sellers are now required to register for UK VAT, and charge it on despatch. Remember they're doing this as unpaid tax collectors-it isn't theirs to keep. The likes of DHL etc then appear to be adding VAT to an item upon which it has already been charged, so not only do you pay twice, you pay VAT on your VAT : unamused: seems to me the delivery companies may need to get their shit together a bit better. :)

• Useful Useful x 2