Hinckley engine codes....

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ken1e, Jul 24, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken1e

Ken1e New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    uk
    Hi: I'm new to the forum so please bear with me if I've posted this in the wrong place...

I recently acquired a single seat formula student race car although many parts had been removed. it appears to have a Triumph four cylinder bike engine fitted, twin overhead cams and fuel injection. I have been trying to find out more details about the engine to allow me to order the correct parts/spares for it. It has a dry sump kit fitted, a chain drive limited slip diff, but the scavenge pump, throttle bodies and electrics are missing.

The problem is that I don't have any documentation, no VIN plate or other identifiers except for the engine number: 153068. There are no other identifying letters or numbers, and no other codes/letters/numbers on the engine. The Triumph lookup sites all seem to want a VIN or other prefixes and/or suffixes which I don't have.

I've spent weeks trolling the internet looking for information with no success so I'm wondering if any of you bright chaps out there can shed any light or point me to someone who would know?

All suggestions gratefully received!

2. spanner

spanner Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi the best i can do is look at Triumph engines no earlier than 1999 ,thats when fuel injection came about for Triumph, the only number 153068 comes up as a manifold part, hope that at least narrows it down a bit

3. Ken1e

Ken1e New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    uk
    Hi guys, thanks for the prompt replies.

The car was built as part of the engineering division of a university degree course, and entered into the Formula Student competition. It was never registered for road use so no documentation.

They were limited to a 600cc engine and this one appears to date from the early 2000's, as it has the early type of fuel injection. (It doesn't have the cc stamped on it anywhere.) This led me to believe that it is either a TT600 or an early Daytona engine, but whilst TT600 and Daytona engines are similar, lots of parts are not interchangeable so I need to get a positive identification. What is really throwing me is the engine number, which doesn't have the usual letter codes for model, etc.

Although there are many parts missing, the whole thing is too good to break or scrap and I would like to get it road legal...
    I'm limited to cars or trikes these days, as I have a long standing disability which means I can no longer ride a bike and I miss the thrill...

I haven't been able to post any pictures: could someone please write an idiots guide as to how I add pics?

4. Ken1e

Ken1e New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    uk
    IMGP4657.JPG IMGP4656.JPG Hi guys, thanks for the prompt replies.

The car was built as part of the engineering division of a university degree course, and entered into the Formula Student competition. It was never registered for road use so no documentation.

They were limited to a 600cc engine and this one appears to date from the early 2000's, as it has the early type of fuel injection. (It doesn't have the cc stamped on it anywhere.) This led me to believe that it is either a TT600 or an early Daytona engine, but whilst TT600 and Daytona engines are similar, lots of parts are not interchangeable so I need to get a positive identification. What is really throwing me is the engine number, which doesn't have the usual letter codes for model, etc.

Although there are many parts missing, the whole thing is too good to break or scrap and I would like to get it road legal...
    I'm limited to cars or trikes these days, as I have a long standing disability which means I can no longer ride a bike and I miss the experience.

If I've done it right, there are a few pictures attached. They don't show the whole engine, and I will try to post some more soon.

IMGP4658.JPG

5. Ken1e

Ken1e New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    uk
    Figured out how to post pics....:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. spanner

spanner Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Lancashire
    I think this could be the early speed four engine, fuel injected:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    contact Jack Lilley. They should be able to help.