Hi from Cheshire

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Scrambler Si, Apr 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scrambler Si

Scrambler Si Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Cheshire
    Despite the late hour, I am posting now so I can say I collected my new Scrambler today! I'm loving it already.

I started motorbiking in my teens, in the 70's, having had a wealth of stories about British bikes from the 50's, from my Dad and step Dad (Bill). My first bikes were my mum's and Bill's hand-me-downs (and put paid to my cycling days, but that's another story): Honda C70, Honda CD175, Honda C90 (on which my then girlfriend and now current wife and I braved 130 miles through a freezing January day to visit said mum/Bill), Suzuki GT250 (on which I passed my motorcycle test by not hitting the man with the clipboard), GT750 (with expansion pipes - noisy, and frequenter of lay bys on the South Circular for 30-mile plug changes), GS850G (civilised), then cars until my mid-40s. A "dream" BMW R1150RS, which was vibey and soulless, another break from 2006, and now a Triumph Scrambler. I fancied one the moment it was launched in '06 (and still love that red/white/chrome look), but the BM had killed it for me. I started looking at pictures again a few weeks ago, and took the plunge again.

The new bike is red/silver/black and I'm keeping it pretty standard at the moment. I might add a fly screen to take the edge off the buffeting at speed, but otherwise it has a Scottoiler (the shaft drive bikes spoiled me), a black brake fluid reservoir, engine bars, centre stand and grab rail. What I love about this bike is that it is hewn from a single lump of metal, is Britsh, and looks like a proper Wallace and Grommit bike. It is very similar in size, weight and shape to my old 850, and seems to me to be the last of the old fashioned bikes built using modern methods. I've enjoyed 60+ miles of rolling round the B roads today, despite the cold, and can't wait for the warmer days I bought it for. Tally Ho!

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum

3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Si and welcome.

Nice choice of bike to get back into the groove on. Looking at your avatar, did you buy it from Staffordshire Triumph.

Where abouts in Cheshire are you.

4. Scrambler Si

Scrambler Si Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Cheshire
    Thanks for the welcome messages chaps...

Tiglet - yes that's Staffordshire Triumph. They're a great dealer for a Triumph fan, but I guess y'all know that already. I live near Northwich/Knutsford. Nearest landmark is Pickmere Lake. I had two short rides yesterday - and despite the season, spotted two other Bonnies on the road. Things are looking up!

5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Hello Si , Come in mate take a seat your more than welcome !!!

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Si and thank you very much for your full introduction. Welcome to the Triumph Playground - Enjoy that new Scrambler, you lucky dog !!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi Si and welcome

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Tally Ho!! Not a lot else can be said really. Great weather for a new bike, enjoy it

9. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Welcome! The scrambler looks a really good bike

10. Scrambler Si

Scrambler Si Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Cheshire
    Another short ride today... I have 500 miles to do over the next month, and that's all the excuse I need! There was some water left on the road after the morning's rain, so now I even have some dirt on the bike. I'd wanted to keep it shiny, but it has a desire to get dirty, and just wants to play in the puddles. I think I'd better make an appointment with the ACF50 / All Year application fella - the temptation to play is just too strong.

11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not really mate - it's going through, just VERY slowly !!!!!

Should get the keys for the new place in the next 2/3weeks, but of course that won't release any dosh, just the opposite in fact.

12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Si, Staffordshire Triumph is were I got my Tiger 800xc from excellent dealership.
    I used to cycle to Pickmere Lake from Moulton with a couple of mates on a Sunday afternoon when I was about 14/15 years old just to see if there were any girls there:rolleyes::)

Have you got the Scrambler run in yet.

13. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    Hi Si and welcome

14. Scrambler Si

Scrambler Si Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Cheshire
    Tiglet - not run in yet :( I don't enjoy the rain on two wheels, so I have snatched a few rides between showers. I've been running it up to about 4,000 revs max, and cruising around 2-3,000. It seems very happy at 50mph rolling round the lanes, but I'm working all the gears and not stressing the engine - in other words, not overtaking much yet! Despite that, I'm enjoying it. A lot!

15. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hello Si great choice of bike and welcome to the forum.

16. jonny

jonny Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    sunny cheshire
    Hi Si. Good to see more Cheshire people

17. Scrambler Si

Scrambler Si Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi - Cheshire is great for the lanes. I'm planning a trip out to Derbyshire today as the sun is out at last. I need to get some miles in, so my beasty can stretch its legs a bit. It's a while since I've seen a "running in" sign, but I feel I should fix one to the back of the bike. All part of the retro scene! Speaking of which, we caught up with the BBC docu on Golden Years of British Bikes. I had to go into the garage and stroke my bike after that!

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Oh dear! You're gonna wish you hadn't typed that!

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
  20. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Si. Impressive biking CV there, hope you enjoy the new addition and welcome to the playground.