Hi From Canada - Here’s A Question

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by AirCanuck, Aug 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    Hi fellas!

Just got myself a 2010 Bonneville. Previous owner upgraded suspension and put slightly louder triumph pipes on her.

I’m a new rider and I managed to tail slide the day after i bought it and dumped it pretty hard.

Broke the clutch handle and the shift peddle itself wasn’t moving properly so she’s in the shop while I’m on vacation. Sucks.. but these are the risks when you get a sweet bike as a new rider.

The bike has some surface rust and sometimes a little more than surface rust that needs cleaning up so expect questions about best ways to restore certain parts of the bike.

So my newb question: where can I get a clutch handle that isn’t going to cost me $50CAD!?

Looking forward to lurking here and asking lots of questions.

4EC3BCA7-6536-4E0B-926E-06B77567AC68.jpeg

D299F0AF-C0D0-489D-81B6-F23E2934A667.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.
    Nice Bike!

4. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks! Is the break and clutch handle the same or do you need to order specifically one or the other?

5. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi and welcome in. The clutch and brake levers are different and not interchangeable/compatible. Hope you come right.

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome...
    Wessa

8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome mate:)

9. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks dudes. I might be done before I began, the shop just called...

A piece of the engine case broke off inside. Is there even a way to fix this?

I’m heartbroken.

7C19F88C-86DD-48D2-B7BD-DA409D911F9D.jpeg

B6B1B3F8-8565-4BC7-B55E-F1840C4957FB.jpeg

FD887C07-B9AD-425F-BE89-6BD8399C08EE.jpeg

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Everything is fixable at a price......

The damage you are looking at is on the RH side of the engine under the small cover behind the oil level window. The gear selector rod goes right through the casting to the opposite side. It appears to be the lug that supports a pawl that has snapped off.

It might just be possible to do an epoxy repair but otherwise it is a skilled welding job, a new case or swap out the entire engine. Personally I would go the epoxy route and look for a second hand engine in the expectation a $20 tube of Wurth Epoxy will not hold.....but you could be lucky.

5ABFF308-550C-49C6-BE9A-0E3E03714B69.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy :)

12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The casting, by the way, is about $5,000 CAD....... the pawl/detente about $5CAD

13. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    How do I go about finding a new case? The guys at the shop guessed this was going to cost me $1000 minimum to see fixed... engines seem to go for around $1500 CAD

I just hope I can fix it. Luckily I got this bike for a ridiculous steal...

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Either new from a dealer (the $5k CAD route) or from a breaker. The middle route is fleabay in North America or similar where you are looking for a blacked out motor. Bear in mind all the labour costs, unless a useful mechanic yourself, and the replacement motor looks attractive.
    However, if there is enough meat on the broken lug I would get it scrupulously clean and try
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-cold-weld-metal-epoxy-0383766p.html
    maybe even drilling and pinning with a couple of M3 drill bits much as a dentist uses posts in a crown or big filling. It is worth thirty bucks on materials just trying.
    Once set run a tap to clean up the threads.

Besides, the aluminium is probably Canadian anyway!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Shit happens:(

16. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum

17. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah, just got a call from the shop... $5000 and up for the parts or $2200 for a fix they won’t guarantee

18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The shop is likely pushing for a decision to get the work or make space.

I suggest you take a deep breath and get it home. You are going to fix it yourself and learn on the job. The broken lug is like a post that supports a sprung detent that rides on an irregular sprocket to ‘fix’ the bike in gear as you shift up and down. The strength of the detent spring will give you an idea of how strong the repair needs to be. Epoxy, done right, can be an extremely strong bond.

So, get the bike, all the bits and a manual. You’ll want to clean off the mating surfaces - final clean with something like acetone on a fine paintbrush to leave no residue. Work out how you can clamp up while it sets then effect the repair. Reassemble the mechanism and check for operation without closing up the sidecover. If it holds you are dollars in, if it doesn’t you can source a new motor at your leisure. By then you may well decide you can swap it over yourself.......and you probably can....you’ve got the manual!

Or go with insurance?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. AirCanuck

AirCanuck Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Canada
    All good advice, particularly “take a deep breath”. I spoke with a friend who is more mechanical than I and he had a buddy who he thinks can tig weld this and have it fixed for hopefully less than $500. Which would be ideal. I’ll go over the epoxy idea with him as well.

I’m on vacation driving across the prairies in Canada right now so the news from the shop was particularly poorly timed...

Backstory is that I bought a lemon cafe racer last year, a classic Honda and never got to ride it. Convinced the wife to let me buy this triumph and then the very next day buggered up the engine so it has been a frustrating experience to say the least... here’s hoping it can be fixed.

How does one go about nosing through wrecker yards to search for parts/engine casings?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The internet is a good place to start but your location (Canada!) could be populous or Hicksville!