Hi, from a born again biker.

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by The Musketeer, Mar 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Hi and welcome back to two wheels.

Never too old, my ex neighbour who retired back to the Isle of Man is now 72, has a BMW R ninety which he is riding down to Spain via Belgium and France and meeting us in the Picos area of Spain, he also has a Ducati 888 and a KTM 250 to keep him fit!!!

Enjoy the new toy

Teejay

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum John from a young whipper-snapper who took his test at the age of 56.
    Mod 2 is less stressful than Mod 1 I found - advice from my trainer was "do everything he tells you and pretend you're riding like the police were following you".

3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello John and welcome.

I'm a newbie on the forum myself who only joined this rabble on Sunday and friendly lot they appear.

Getting on in years myself also (65) and with 4 bikes in the stable. Boys can never have enough toys:)

Good luck with your Direct Access and hopefully we'll soon see some pictures of the new bike.

4. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Pete. Yep, my old bones have/are mending nicely thank you, must be all the free orange juice, school milk and cod (yuk) liver oil I had as wee sprog. Had the pins taken out last week, not a procedure to be enjoyed ever again and certainly not recommended, so I'm now left with a nice dark blue plastic splint thing and physio three times a week . The bugger still hurts though but it keeps me off washing up and gardening duties so not all bad. Bloody sick of the "claims are us.com" phone calls too. Even managed a very short run out yesterday, just a couple of miles in to town and back, a right sod to get my gloves on and off and it was giving some gip when I got back but, that'll improve. Still the weathers getting better and days getting longer so I'll soon be off and about round the the Lake District providing there roads have been re-built.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sceptic Al

Hope it all turns out well Muskie. Did some cruising around Georgia a few years back while I was working out side Atlanta. Great roads, little or no traffic, warm, (well more like sweaty really), and a Big Hog to do it on. The 'Icefield Parkway' in Canada on two wheels is worth a thought too.
    I'm jealous as !"£$.

6. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks Bikerman, Have to say its been an interesting life so far and, for the most part, everyone I've met has added to the experience. I think the book will have to wait for a while as there are still too many fun things left for me to do.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Hi Steve, Thanks, it sounds like very good advice to me.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks Tiglet, I agree, they do seem to be a friendly lot.. & yes, I'll post some pictures once the test is over & done with and the LT is in my garage.. :cool:

9. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    So its not just me then Tim, there are some other original "Rockers" out there that are still getting their leg over.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks roadrider, Off to a track day at Brands on Wednesday but not on two wheels. With a bit of luck I might even get in a lap or two with Barry Lee driving.. :cool:

11. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex

12. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah John some of the you tube videos would scare people off :eek: but the roads only as dangerous as you make it,if you take it at your own pace i'm sure it would be fantastic..318 bends in 11 miles! :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    That sounds positive and surprised your back on the saddle already.

14. Sceptic Al

Me thinks I may have over-cooked it just a smidge it with my little run out, the bloody wrist hurts more today than when I broke it. Funny a simple run of two miles each way on an almost clear straight road and not much traffic was too much for my paw to cope with.
    Loads of sympathy (NOT) from Mrs Al as expected but plenty of comments such as "you daft old sod", "should have known better" "just cause it was a nice day" etc don't exactly help either. I blame my gloves, they a bit a struggle to get on and off. Hey ho,

15. Sceptic Al

Yon
    Lesson DEFINATELY LEARNED, no more bike till I 100% or as close as possible.
    Some 40+ years back when I was young, fit, fearless and stupid I tore a cartilage in my knee playing footy. Had the op to remove the offending bit and was advised not to play again, so I didn't, I started playing rugby union instead. Guess what, a good few years later, same thing happened following a bad tackle on the same leg. Another op and told not to play again, this time I ACCTUALLY TOOK THE ADVICE. Now at a ripe old age of nearly 62 I'm just starting to feel the early effect of arthritis on that knee. If I'd carried on playing who knows what state I'd be in, probably have a knee replacement or wheel chair.

16. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Welcome and good luck with your test!

• Like Like x 1
  17. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    If they told you, do not ride a bike again, would you take there advice??

18. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Peter,

For what it's worth, personally, I'm always happy to listen to advice but not so good at taking it... If I was, I wouldn't be taking my Bike test now, probably wouldn't have done my Padi SCUBA course at age 60 or been driving a very modified classic car around Brands on track days last September.. 10441969_1162315727130376_2930338289480533095_n.jpg

I've learnt that your body will tell you if you're pushing it too hard & you'd be surprised how much pain you can stand when you're enjoying yourself.. :cool:

10441969_1162315727130376_2930338289480533095_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's a 105E Ford Anglia isn't it? Does it have Carlos Fandango wheels?

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    #40 The Musketeer, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Yes Dave, its a 1964 Anglia Super 1200, or rather it was... It now has a pepped-up 1600 Mexico engine, 5 speed box, slipper diff, servo disc brakes and numerous other mods.. It's curently sitting on a set of Minilites but we also have a set of Dunlop rims as well. Together with my mate Roy we've driven this car from Trafalgar Square to Red Square Moscow and, over the Alps (Stelvio Pass in the snow !) to Brescia then around the Milie Miglia course. We've also done the London to Brighton Classic & Goodwood Revival.. Challenges, bring 'em on.. :cool: