Hi, from a born again biker.

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by The Musketeer, Mar 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    #1 The Musketeer, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Hi everyone, my name is John, I'm 67 years old & I'm currently in the process of obtaining my motorcycle licence via the Direct Access route.

My dad was a dispatch rider during WW2 (BEF & North Africa) and we always had a couple of old motorbikes in the back garden that he used for transport to work & back after the war.

I started riding on an Excelsior Consort when I was about 12 years old, when, in those days, we could push it to a disused airfield and ride it around all day..

Later, when I was old enough to get a provisional licence, I bought a Triumph Tiger Cub then progressed through... 250 Matchless, 250 Royal Enfield, Triumph 350 Tiger, 500 Matchless & finally a Pre Unit '59 Bonneville. I sold the Bonny for £200.00 quid and now a tear comes to my eye whenever I see them for sale at £8,000.00 plus... !!

Then I got married, passed my driving test, bought a Mk1 Consul & got into marshalling at motor sport events for a hobby & working in the high performance engine industry for a living.

Despite enjoying a number of years riding around the Essex countryside, going on the Dragon Rally and spending my honeymoon on the IOM for the Diamond Jubilee TT in '67, I never really found time to pass my motorcycle test.. so, last year I decided that I had to tick that box before I was laid out in mine..

With the CBT & Theory test done & dusted in November 2015, In January I signed up for a Direct Access course and I've now passed Module 1, and Module 2 is on the very near horizon...

Hopefully, once I've done the deed, my current wife & ( yes, I do call her that, it keeps her on her toes) will be off to my local Triumph Dealer to order up a new America LT.

Luckily, my good lady is extremely supportive & already has her Kevlar Jeans, Boots & Gloves and, whenever we stop off at the Triumph Dealer, she spends a quiet half hour checking out the Jackets.

Our aim is, next year, to ride from Washington DC to Chattanooga along the Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Mountains then on to Nashville & Memphis. We did this 1000 + mile route a few years ago in a car but it was somewhat depressing for both of us to chat to so many happy riders along the way..

I'm hoping members if this forum can provide some good advice on intercoms, sat-nav systems, tracker units and such like as well as info & tips about the bike that are not in the manual..

Well, that's me .. A retired Consultant Engineer who has spent a lifetime working in the Motor Industry & who now wants to re-visit those distant, but very fond memories of life on two wheels....

• Like Like x 8
  2. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Hi half ton, thanks for the welcome & yes, the limited edition its a nice looking bike but I prefer the two tone blue to the tangerine. My old bonny was blue & silver so I guess there's still some sort of mental tie to those days . :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "The Musketeer" - that's a handle and a half!!

Welcome in John, that's probably the best introduction I've seen on here.

Assuming you are successful with your test would you be interested in coming to our little get-together in August this year?

Follow this link to see what it's all about:

http://www.thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/grand-meet-up-in-2016.5134/

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Welcome in musky, bet you wish you'd done your test all those years ago, when all you had to do was drive round the block and stop before you hit the pillock that stepped out in front of you holding a clipboard in the air! Regards the DC to Chatanooga ride, are you going to ship your bike out there?

5. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    A big welcome to the forum

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Welcome, great intro ;)

7. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Welcome in John you have given us an excellent introduction feels like I have know you for years:) you will certainly get plenty of good advice on here to help you decide what will work for you wish you the very best in your plans now your partner is geared up there is no turning back:p

8. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Hi thebiglad, The "handle" come from the name of a local cafe I used to frequent back in the day.. Re: the get together, I have to say, I love the North especially Yorkshire and have recently spent some happy times in and around Kirkby Stephens. Once I get my America, my mate wants to take a ride up to Tan Hill so anything is possible. :cool:

9. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Hi crispey, yes I do wish I'd done the test back then but my priorities changed and I went into four wheels.. Re the trip th o the USA, if all goes well I hope to hire a Triumph America or Thunderbird rather than ship mine.. I don't think I could handle the worry of mine being on a boat for weeks on end unless I went with it.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Welcome Sir!. What an intro. Enjoy your re-birth as another member of the Born Again Biker, (just like myself).:D

11. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Musky, let me know when you do your trip to the Tan Hill, it's only 70 odd miles from me so we could meet up, ( mines an 05 Speedmaster by the way)

12. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks Peter, It's always nice to know there are some like minded people around you to guide you in the right direction... :cool:

13. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Sounds more like a pub name to me John

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks Sceptic Al, I look forward to the challenge of making it into my 70's while still riding a big double thumper..:cool:

15. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks TrophyCat..:cool:

16. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    You must be on the mend then Al

17. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Thanks MrOrange.. :cool:

18. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex

19. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Welcome John,that sounds like a great road trip you have planned :),the Blueridge/Smoky mountains is definitely high on my bucket list,fantastic biking roads and "The Tail Of The Dragons" a must..as long as you avoid having parts of your bike on the tree of shame!

20. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I think you must be the embodiment of "it's never to late"
    Welcome to the forum.
    Looking forward to hearing about all your new adventures.