Hey mate! Rear brake light's out!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by drob, Jul 23, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Twice this week I have had other bikers pull up next to me and tell me my rear brake light isn't working, which is nice of them. When I get off the bike to check it out, the light's coming on when I push down on the rear brake pedal - drives me nuts. Is this some kind of joke bikers play on each other that I don't know about or could there be a reason for this?
    Recently posted a thread about installing new pads on my Trophy 900, could my tinkering around down there be the cause of this? Why would they not work while moving but work stationary?? Any ideas would be appreciated. Bike is due for an MOT real soon so I will be doing that next week.

2. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    The last biker said "rear brake light" so am quoting him for the title. I have no front brake light :). I assume both brakes use the same bulbs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just to be clear, the rear brake light should come on irrespective of which brake lever is operated.

If it doesn't come on when your pull the front brake lever but DOES work when operating the rear brake then the problem is most related to the front brake switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Just tried it and the front brake lever isn't activating the brake light. Would that stop the rear brake from tripping it also. As I said, the light's working fine with just the rear brake but when I stop I'm mostly using the front.

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Not it wouldn't stop the rear switch from activating the light. If you use the rear just to feather the speed down with new pads then it could activated the piston movement before it does the light. Chances are you've a broken wire to the front switch some where or the spades to it have come away

• Like Like x 1
  6. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Don't know what the spades are but that doesn't sound good. Should I just buy a new switch? Sprint Manufacturing are selling them for £10, seems like a cheap fix.

7. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I don't understand why activating piston movement before the light would prevent the light coming on at all. Sorry if it's obvious to anymore who knows anything about mechanics :).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    No don't buy a switch until your happy that it's that. The spade is the flat brass electrical connector on the end of the wire and switch unit. For a quick check get two wires,attach them to a bulb, one end to any side of the battery and the other to any of the spade connectors for now and have a play to see if the wires at fault or the switch

• Like Like x 1
  9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I think you've just answered your own question!
    If you use mainly/just the front brake, which doesn't activate the brake light, then the brake light won't work! Simples! :)
    Until you can get it fixed, use both brakes. That way you are at least giving those behind some warning of what you are doing. :eek:
    I was always lead to believe that using the front brake just before the back was the correct way of braking. But hey, I've been wrong before!! Works for me though!! :D

10. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I always use the rear brake as I stop and like you do, I use the front brake first and then the back. So they should be getting some warning...

• Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have the opposite problem with my Trident.
    Front brake lever operates the rear brake light but pushing on the pedal does nothing.
    Brake light switch is part of the rear master cyclinder on these bikes, in fact it holds the banjo union in place.
    Have read that it can be affected by an airlock. Have bled the rear brake but still no luck. Am going to try loosening off the switch to see if that does it and if not will order a new switch from Sprint Triumph.

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It didn't do it so new switch fitted tonight and all is working again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    A few years ago I had a fireblade & a group of us went for a rideout , when we stopped off for a drink at a pub , the bloke who had been directly behind me said " jeezus , you don't use your brakes much do ya , I tried to stay off the brakes on some of those bends & had to bottle it in the end otherwise I'd have been in the hedge , I only saw your brake light come on about 4 times the whole way ffs " , I stayed cool throughout to maintain my newfound riding god status :cool: , but later had a check of the brake light & discovered it was only working off the rear & not the front :rolleyes:
    Anyhow , four months later on the day before its mot (naturally 11th hour) , I fitted a new switch on the brake lever mounting which cost about £5 & 5 minutes & job was a goodun

• Like Like x 1
  14. SpeedyR

SpeedyR Member

Apr 27, 2021
    South Africa
    Hi All

Reviving this thread asi seem to have a similar issue on my 2015 Speed Triple R.
    The brake light is not being activated when lever is pulled. It appears to be activated about 1 out of 10 pulls.
    No issue with rear brake.
    Please pic taken, I thought I would find the switch that I've read about but only this unit?
    Admittedly clueless!
    Do you reckon the problem is wiring relatwd?

8F4A14B7-D2AE-4731-9D9B-2CE2F97895FB.jpeg

77C7AF00-F2FD-4AAA-98D0-7249CC79C158.jpeg

15. SpeedyR

SpeedyR Member

Apr 27, 2021
    South Africa
    Thanks for your input.
    It appears to be working now again!
    Engaged the lever with light activated and wiggling the wires does not cause it to switch off. So all sorted. Wonder what the problem was, but hopefully it doesn't manifest again !

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

It is often hard to tell if a biker is braking as should you be riding correctly (in my opinion- usually wrong) the engine does a bloody good job.

slow down = down a gear

Speed up, and hey I’m in the right gear already. How did that happen..?

Even though I use the engine to brake a lot, I do cover the brakes to show lights.

Nice to be seen.

17. SpeedyR

SpeedyR Member

Apr 27, 2021
    South Africa
    True, but I'm sometimes a bit reluctant to use engine braking at high speeds, but that's another conversation I guess!

18. SpeedyR

SpeedyR Member

Apr 27, 2021
    South Africa
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I’m not suggesting you use engine braking, just that you can (if it works for you), but that it often surprises following motorists as the bike slows down pretty quickly without giving any indication of the change in velocity. I.e no brake lights.

That is why I cover the brakes and illuminate them when slowing using engine braking.

I don’t like the idea of a car trying to mate with my bike’s exhaust pipe whilst I’m riding it…

• Funny Funny x 1