Here's A Random One.... Fish.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ChasChas, Nov 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    I only use dripping in my fryer at home. And I'm hard pushed to buy in a fish supper these days, I'll do it at home. But the only chippys I frequent use dripping. There's two I know of in Kent.
    My fishmonger down the coast has his own smoker so produces the fantastic smoked haddock and cod. It's a must buy when I get down there.
    And I absolutely have to get a skate wing that would feed a family. Was always a childhood treat if we got skate so if I put one of those on my plate it's still a good day.
    I don't often buy cod these days as the size of the fish doesn't give the huge glassy flakes that, for me, makes the fish king. What we get now are juveniles. Not the same. If I'm doing battered fish I'm favouring hake or huss (dogfish) at the moment but as ever, it depends what looks freshest when you walk in the shop.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    See the oppression inherent in the system!
    See the right wing taking more than their fair share of the pot!
    See the sense of their entitlement to do so!

REPORTED!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Spoilt for choice, but retail Fish pricing is a killer for most and not many people can fillet whole fish.
    Eat fish 2-3 times a week and more in the summer months when catching it.
    Love cod, gurnard, trevally (smoked) and Kahawai (sea trout). Most people eat cod and snapper in NZ, and you can catch 7 per day each.
    Partial to most shellfish especially oysters, Bluff are a NZ delicacy, and we are spoilt with green lipped mussels at $3/kg.

C52D6EC8-7DC2-4DCB-B3B4-4E142B605AF6.jpeg

6DA11A1E-273F-4A99-A586-3A95BA4EEB6F.jpeg

728FE809-A0EB-4C5C-80F5-14F4230CC31B.jpeg

D9D2F9A1-B795-4798-AC31-E1D8AACC8F4B.jpeg

3716771A-722C-4553-B339-F9C9B0329711.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  4. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Snowflake

*puts on ignore list*

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    That looks fantastic.

We get green lipped mussels over here in restaurants but never had them, I only eat (loads, love them) natives. There's a lot of farmed basa in supermarkets but I won't touch it on principle, if there's one product you should eat what's local it's fish?
    Love oysters. I get Maldons from my local guy. Although I'm close to the 'famous' whitstable oysters that's just a marketing shill. Most are imported and branded.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    "Blimey" you would need a few chips with that first one @Dartplayer :D nice pics mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I love oysters, raw or cooked and sod all that "let it slip down yer throat" garbage! I love to chew them raw and really enjoy the flavours. Funny to think that they were once so plentiful in Scottish waters that they were poor mans food as were herring and now they are 'luxury'. The shores of the loch here are littered with native oyster shells and I was talking to the manageress at the famous (and very overpriced in my book) Loch Fyne Oyster bar and she was telling me that, although the shells on the shore look fresh, they are probably over a hundred years old as native oysters have been extinct around here for at least that long.

I do like green lipped mussels as well. Very meaty but yes, native British mussels are delicious. particularly 'Clabby Doos' which are Atlantic mussels with shells up to about nine inches. Cockles are brilliant too.

I seem to remember that when I was a youf Dublin Bay prawns became too expensive for making into Scampi and so they moved to using the meat of Monkfish and now, thanks to the 'gourmet' chef mob, monkfish is too expensive and so they have been forced to return to using Dublin Bay prawns. Crazy world! Another episode of craziness is that some years ago the Youngs frozen fish mob decided to close their prawn processing plant down at Girvan because it was cheaper to take the catch from the boats at Girvan, fly them to the far east for processing and then fly them back for sale. If that isn't simply insane I don't know what is! When I eat Youngs Scampi the little buggers are farther travelled than I am!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    I've never eaten an oyster and thought 'this would be better cooked' When I get tired of them fresh from the shell I'll give it a go.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I have to admit that I have only eaten them cooked because the missus ordered them cooked and then couldn't bring herself to eat them so I scoffed 'em, they were tasty with the chilli and lemon dressing she had ordered. The missus is definitely not a seafood fan.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Fair play Marty. I cannot abide foodwaste. You did the right thing.

And had a bonus starter so where is the harm :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks @Don the Don, they are Yellow tail King Fish. :imp: Fantastic fighting fish. Highly regarded for sushimi and very delicate. Seared as per tuna, they are yum.
    If fresh, I fillet one side and steak the other as I like cooking with bone in :kissing_heart:

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  12. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Prolly twice a month. Fish, usually salmon, and or shellfish. I'll deep fry flounder and shrimp. Steamed clams, shrimp, crabs are all great. I love oysters, fried or raw. The local market gets their salmon on Wednesdays, so that's when I go. I do it in an iron skillet on the grill with olive oil and some seasoning. One local restaurant has an all you can eat crab leg night once a month, snow crabs. I can eat a couple plates, but my daughter - look out! Don't get your hands or feet in the way when she's eating crabs! I don't know where she puts it. She's a skinny thing, but boy can she put some crab legs away.

Ott's crabs 7-19.PNG Crab.PNG

• Like Like x 2