Here's A Random One.... Fish.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ChasChas, Nov 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    We've, if not broad, certainly a wideish demographic here so I'm curious about your fish eating habits.

(yes, I am, not a pisstake)

I'm in my late fifties and it's always featured in my diet. Before DD weighs in with a liberal swipe much of that has been deep fried. I'm from a household that had a permanent chip pan on the stove, deep frying is no mystery to me.
    But also I can remember going round markets in London and watching the live eels in a bucket while Ma bought some fish. (if we were unlucky, eels)
    When we moved out of the smoke we started buying fish off the dayboats on the coast and it's something I still do monthly at least. I've been buying fish off the same coast for forty years at least
    But I fear our fishermen are going to get sold down the river again (no pun etc) in the current trade talks. Half heard a phonein on the radio today that nobody really cares about our fishing industry because we don't eat fish.
    I hoped that wasn't a representative comment but I'm genuinely curious to know if I'm a niche consumer or if there's a broader support.

No judgement if it's not your thing, I'm just trying to guage if it's a minority that care.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I probably do not have an impact on the fish market in your country, but I eat salmon and/or whitefish (baked usually) once or twice a week. I do not catch fish very often when I go fishing due to lack of skill/luck, but when I do it is catfish, crappy, or bass and we eat them. I grew up eating fried fish of all kinds as my grandmother was an expert fisherman and cook!

• Like Like x 7
  3. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    That is good to hear, that it's a 'just another thing we eat' like choosing between a porkchop or a piece of chicken but I'm getting the impression, despite being a small island with a fishing heritage, that the habit and more importantly familiarity of cooking raw fish has left a generation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    This is the bit I don't get. I had an urban upbringing in North London. Without evoking Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' the first place I lived was the groundfloor of a shared house. Then a flat above a grocer. Then the heady heights of a council flat. So not a particularly affluent environment. But buying and eating fresh fish was routine. I'm genuinely sad something has been lost.

I'm with you on 'Pinkfish' though. ;)

[edit] And we certainly never ate it as kids :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    I eat it all, not much I don’t like. Baked, fried, sushi, smoked,

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Living in the North east of Scotland on the coast, the boats go out for whatever they catch most of the little boats catch squid that ends up in France "Me" I eat all types of fish I have even had catfish crawfish and gator the lads locally pick up cod and mackerel and I usually have some dropped off, It has not been easy for the industry and this brexit idea may change things for them, but as the british are not the biggest fish eaters a lot of fishermen sold their quotas to the french and spanish, interesting times.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Well I don't know if your survey includes it but I am particularly partial to shellfish - Prawns, Crab, Lobster, Oysters, Mussels, Cockles etc. I haven't really eaten white fish in many moons mainly because the balance of cost and quality is awful now. A fish supper of Haddock now is rubbish compared to a haddock supper when I was a kid. The quality of the fish just seems so poor now. Given that our nation doesn't seem to eat much in the way of fish these days (strange considering we are an island) it must be the French, Spanish and every other plundering bugger who has stripped our share of the seas.

I recall as a teen being on the harbour of an evening waiting for the mackerel to run in to shore so we could catch some and the feckin' Russian Klondyker factory ships would turn up off the coast and not a single bleedin' fish would be caught on the harbour as those robbin' bastards took 'em all.

When I was a youngster I would go to stay with my Grandparents in the port of Ayr and, back then you could walk across the mouth of the river on the fishing boats when the fleet was in town. Now? Not a single bloody boat and the Fishing community is gone. The gear sheds, market sheds, ice factory, moorings all gone and replaced with crappy 'luxury' riverside flats. If we ain't eating the fish someone else must have been plundering them.

A while back I remember watching a program about trawlers, I think they were out of Grimsby, and when one of them had an engine failure it had to be towed to Norway for repair because this 'great seafaring nation' had no-one who could repair a trawler. I often grieve for how pathetic Britain has allowed itself to become.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    I wholly share your anger Marty. I'm not sure where I point it though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#9 MartyWilson, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2020
    I think part of it should be aimed at previous UK governments and the senselessness of EU quota rules. If I recall correctly, when a trawler was sold (usually to Portuguese or Spanish trawlermen) it would not only be the vessel but also it's 'patch' and quota so they would sail up into UK waters, trawl our seas and then head back to mainland Europe with the fish. Of course it didn't help that every trawler back in the day was dumping tonnes of dead fish when the nets came up with more than they needed to fulfil their quota. Then of course we had ridiculous things like plundering Sandeel stocks not to mention other fish stocks just to feed the ever growing demand for pet food. It is hard to believe just how depleted the oceans have become in my lifetime.

Some years ago, out of personal interest, I did a bit of a study into the decline of fishing in Scotland and I am sure it applies equally elsewhere.

Here is a rough summary of the last hundred and twenty years:

Approximately 1900 Typically in the West of Scotland fish was caught using a fairly small sail and oar powered boat relying on manpower to haul nets in and with very limited 'hold' capacity. Say a quarter of a tonne per boat. No fuel needed, boat built locally and relatively cheaply, simple nets repaired by boat owners/crew. Many people, including women and children in the community required to catch, gut and salt the fish but little in the way of 'overheads'.

Approximately 1910 Boat owners, who can afford it, purchase 'steam trawlers'. Much bigger as not reliant on manpower, able to catch much more fish using less manpower. Downside is that they require much more sophisticated 'gear' that is hugely more expensive and, instead of 'free' energy now require coal in large quantities and they can travel away from their home ports meaning they can now follow the fish and of course the local community lose not only their access to the fresh fish but also their employment in the processing side and the sale of many tonnes of the catch also now has to go to paying for the vessel and it's coal.

After that of course we go to huge diesel trawlers using massive expensive equipment and that can refrigerate their massive catches or even process them entirely and take them even to distant countries far afield from where the fish are being depleted using fewer crew and no longer providing employment for the communities who once depended on fishing in their local waters. Again an even more massive chunk of the income from the haul goes to pay for fuel, upkeep, gear repairs and the vessel itself.

Basically, over the years, the fish have been able to be transported farther and farther from the waters they came from but, at the same time more and more fish has had to be caught just to pay the overheads and this, coupled with massive population growth globally has meant that the seas have been stripped bare.

I suspect that fishermen back in the 1800's hauling their small quantities of Herring out of the massive shoals that were once seen in Loch Fyne onto their little skiffs (there were hundreds of these in Loch Fyne alone feeding a thriving fishing community and supplying Glasgow with Herring amongst other fish) had better earnings and way of life than the far smaller fleets of trawlers who replaced them. Now there are a few 'Creel' Boats in Loch Fyne and a couple of trawlers and our seas are incredibly empty. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more fish in the fish farms around Scotland now than there are in the seas themselves.

To give an idea of the scale of fishing now-

A few years ago I was talking to a fella from Shetland and he was telling me that they have a 'super trawler' there that goes out once a year and catches the port's entire quota for the year in one go. It comes back to port and delivers it's catch to a purpose built plant where a handful of workers can process the lot and ship it off before cleaning and closing the plant until the next year. Sounds great and economical but the supertrawler burns thousands of pounds in fuel oil in that one trip that has to be paid for from the catch not to mention the maintenance of the vessel. The big winners are the folk who built and maintain the vessel and processing plant and the losers are the local community, the environment and the fish stocks.

If folks want to talk 'environment' and 'green' then a serious look at global fishing and it's lack of sustainability would be a very good place to look at. Maybe we should ban the use of powered fishing vessels?

• Like Like x 5
  10. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Ling is my favorite fish, baked or fried got a taste for it when I lived in south devon and used to go wreck fishing out of Dartmouth 30/35lb Ling were common then. Most of the wrecks we used to fish are fished out now by French and Spanish trawlers now as is the Skerris bank.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Marty, as you have an interest I'll strongly recommend this book.

Apart from that, being a Norwegian born far up north I eat fish twice a week and in months with an 'R' in its name, I drink cod liver oil every day. Whales and seals? Bring it on!

710Svnkjm6L.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    We eat a lot of fish and not all of it from the chip shop, including white fish and salmon. Particularly partial to a tuna steak.
    We use fresh prawns in Indian and Chinese cooking. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I quite enjoy fish but the wife is neauseated by the merest whiff so I very rarely eat it (no mimsy jokes please : unamused:) except fish and chips (I love going and finding quality chippys, I started a thread on it once)... the occasional restaurant meal and a nice mackerel goes really well on a BBQ (once the snegs and burgers are done)

• Like Like x 4
  14. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Maybe have fish and chips once a year, that's about it for how fishy I get.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Fish at least once a week, not from the chippy. Should eat more. Salmon not so fussed a nice trout mmmmmm

• Like Like x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I think your central point is BoJo selling out. That remains a very real risk. He isn’t exactly a man of his word. However, I think even he recognises that fishing, although economically not that important, is a kind of test he must pass - so he’ll sell somebody else out or fudge a bit.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Times have changed. Don't know of a shop dedicated to selling only fish here in Birmingham any more. Used to be a fish shop in most villages. Some supermarkets have a decent selection. Missus tends to buy whatever is on offer.

Personal favourite is ling like Steve 998. Was fortunate enough to try an Arbroath Smokie years ago, delicious.

Aren't our fishing rights one of Boris's red lines. Will soon see what he's really made of.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I like most fish and shellfish though my wife doesn't like shellfish so we don't get that much. We are lucky to have a local market where a man with a van turns up and sells really nice fresh fish. Otherwise, fresh fish is hard to get round these parts. That's why I love going to France and Spain, you can always get great fish dishes there. Hopefully next year they will suffer a severe shortage but I fear Boris will give the EU all the fishing it wants.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I like most fish. Wife and I have fish at least once a week.

• Like Like x 2
  20. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Had Haddock and chips (fried in beef dripping, not yer shitty oil!!!) with mushy peas for tea this evening. Fookin' yummy!!!!!:yum Cod is also perfectly acceptable but haddock for preference.
    A nice bit of salmon also goes down well as indeed does tinned tuna either in brine or spring water.
    Can't remember the last time I had trout but it too goes down well.
    Kippers anyone?
    Smoked haddock poached in milk - not had that since I were a lad. Now that IS a while back!!:eek:

• Like Like x 4