Helping Aberystwyth?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hutchism, Jan 8, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Hey all. Couldn't help but notice the battering that Aberystwyth took over the last week of storms.

Was sitting around with a friend the other night who also rides and we often take rides out into Wales. Had a wonderful idea of holding a bit of a Rally where we get say 200 biker hands on deck for a weekend and help rebuild a bit. Would be a good way to get us all out together doing something useful and also fly the flag for helpful loveable bikers in Wales! WIN!

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Saw the pictures of what happened, looks like it will take a bit of cleaning up but I doubt very much the council there would let you get involved in the clean up; insurance, high vis, and other health and safety reasons. I often get involved with groups collecting money for worthwhile causes doing ride outs where each rider pays an entrance fee which goes to the organisation; perhaps this could work??

Rode out to Aberystwyth in the summer and they have (had) a nice motorcycle parking area on the sea front, stopped and had fish and chips at PD's Diner.......

2013-08-09 17.32.25.jpg IMAG1198.jpg

2013-08-09 17.32.25.jpg

IMAG1198.jpg

3. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    #3 Hutchism, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Yeah, know what you mean there. I just figured that a hundred sets of hands could potentially do more good if properly put to good use than a £200 cheque or something of that nature. Just an idea really :rolleyes:

Had a look at some pics and you'll be glad to know that the cafe looks fairly unscathed though I'm sure there'll be a bit of water damage inside. Nice pics by the way!

4. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Nice thought Hutch, but theres nowhere to park your bike now, plus I heard they`re going to enlist all the students that are actually doing feck all

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Hoy! I was a student, once! (Mind you - that was back in 1980-'83 and when I think about it I did do fuck all. So all in all a fair comment). Just sayin'... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolley

Wolley Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Sussex
    Its funny you mention cleaning up seafronts, I was thinking the same thing only as a one man army, offering to help clean up some of the destruction left by the storm.
    I pondered the idea and wondered at what point during the winter months the council decides that the weather will have abated enough to deploy a clean-up squad and whether they could let just anyone help with the task. The point RichardH made about insurance hadn't crossed my mind when I was considering the idea, and then another storm lashed the coast and I felt like a student again entrenched in the futility of it all, what if . . .

7. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    'Elf 'n' safety, mate!

The world's gone fucking mad! When we're scared to help out in case we get sued is fucking bollocks! One of my cousins was a nurse in the burns unit in the main Aberdeen Hospital (how caring must you be to be able to deal with people that have been horrifically burned? I know there's no way I could do it without gagging). But she was instructed not to lend random help to folks that needed it in situations away from the hospital in case something went wrong as she wasn't insured. I, personally, would rather a nurse try to help me if I needed help.