Help With Engine Corrosion Please!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dominic Jones, Mar 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Hello all,

So, I brought a 2011 Triumph Street Triple at the start of this year, I’ve just taken all the fairing off ready for a thorough clean. The bike looks to be in mostly good shape, but upon closer inspection there seems to be some pretty bad corrosion around the cylinder heads, where the exhaust meets the engine, just behind the radiator, the paint is blistering and flaking off quite badly.

I’ll get some pics up later, but should I be concerned?

Also, the exhaust studs are in pretty bad shape, nuts are very rusted. I’ve been lubing them up and gently trying to move them, is this wise or should I leave them be? Its in my nature to replace things like that if possible or clean them up rather than ignore it.

It almost looks like leaks around the exhaust gaskets have caused the corrosion on both the studs and engine but I don’t know, I’m just a little worried.

Any info is appreciated, thank you!

Regards,
    Dom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Could you post some pictures to show the problems ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Normalish for these areas to corrode, I think it's due to not cleaning these areas, and corrosion getting a start under the coatings, If you post photos they may rule out leaks completely. The studs will corrode because of the hot cold cycle they are involved in.
    I can't recommend fixing stuff that isn't broken.
    Although I would want to replace them too. They won't improve.
    World of Triumph are a resorse, although expensive.
    The Alloy corrosion on the block is probably best cleaned back to metal and painted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Thanks for the quick replies, I’ll get some pics uploaded tonight, both as it sits now and after I’ve cleaned it up.

I was gutted when I found the corrosion, didn’t expect it at all as the bike looks pretty nice overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    With regard to stuck nuts , ooer! Check here it really does work

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Before cleaning it up:

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    ACF 50 will help, it works.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Just remember this is cosmetic........on a 7 yr old bike.

The powdery aluminium oxide corrosion is itself a very effective barrier to further corrosion. The problem is that it will track under the powder coat and lift it.

It is an awkward spot to access but your choice is really to monitor its spread until you cannot live with it (or choose to sell the bike) and/or cleaning back to bare metal and painting with an aluminium primer and high temp gloss black to match. It is a small wire brush/Dremel/skinned knuckles sort of job......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hasn’t @BB3Lions recently posted very similar corrosion in that same area?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Cheers pal not heard of that combo before, I’ll give that a try, been soaking the rusted nuts/studs in AC90 for the past few weeks, not even tried to remove them yet, or even if I should, but I’d like to.

ACF50 will be used often now I own the bike, looks like the previous owner was pretty lazy regards to cleaning.

The bike has full Triumph service history though, with more stamps than it needs, so hopefully its been looked after in that sense.

Looks like the corrosion started around the rubber pipe behind the radiator as shown in pics.

I’ll need to remove the radiator to gain better access, and as suggested clean it, rough it up and repaint.

Does it just look like regular corrosion from exposure or could there be a problem?

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Cheers pal not heard of that combo before, I’ll give that a try, been soaking the rusted nuts/studs in AC90 for the past few weeks, not even tried to remove them yet, or even if I should, but I’d like to.

ACF50 will be used often now I own the bike, looks like the previous owner was pretty lazy regards to cleaning.

The bike has full Triumph service history though, with more stamps than it needs, so hopefully its been looked after in that sense.

Looks like the corrosion started around the rubber pipe behind the radiator as shown in pics.

I’ll need to remove the radiator to gain better access, and as suggested clean it, rough it up and repaint.

Does it just look like regular corrosion from exposure or could there be a problem?

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Doesn't look too bad . Only takes riding in winter to set off rusty nuts :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Any resident metallurgists?

I suspect the issue is simple galvanic corrosion. Basically you need steel studs to hold the exhaust on an aluminium casting. The two metals conduct electricity differently and that difference in ‘potential’ means one corrodes ‘preferentially’ - like a one way chemical flow. Throw in an electrolyte (a conductive solution) like salty water and the process accelerates.

If the surfaces are clean and then coated (ACF50 etc.,) you inhibit the entire corrosion process.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    You could just spray the parts and carry on riding ....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    Appreciate all your responses, if it is just cosmetic and common then that puts my mind at rest, I did purposely buy a cheaper bike with higher milage because its my first big bike and only form of transport so will be used for commuting all year round.

That being said I’d still like to fix it up best I can, I’m the OCD type so if I know its there it will bug me, even if its not easily seen.

If I can clean it up, paint it, and get some new exhaust studs in I’ll be happy.

Should I just sort the bits where paint is peeling or rub down any blisters etc before they develop into something worse while I’m at it?

Also, with it being small patches here and there, would it be better to apply the paint with a brush rather than aerosol, and is primer or adhesion promoter necessary?

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would strip down the area for ease of access and rub down anything suspect having probed with a flat blade screwdriver. That will reveal corrosion blisters rather than just rough finish. Mask off and use a brush. Less messy and ‘good enough‘ for under there. The big thing is getting back to bare metal, cleaning off with acetone (her nail varnish remover!) and using an aluminium primer. High Temp gloss last....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Dominic Jones

Dominic Jones New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    UK
    I take it the primer must be heat resistant too, and be suitable for aluminium, have you got any suggestions?

I found a few aerosol varieties but nothing that comes in a tin, and the ones that do come in a tin don't seem to be heat resistant.

18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Or similar
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/500ml-Silver-Aluminium-Resistant-Temperature/dp/B00AC2206I
    Or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/XtremeAuto...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MC8DM83SZ57A3X921FZR
    See double deal incl black gloss scroll down

Otherwise this stuff you can spray and brush on
    https://www.halfords.com/motoring/p...oniz-silver-very-high-temperature-paint-500ml

Your surface temp should not greatly exceed the cooling water under pressure just over 100C but adjacent the exhaust ports it might be a bit higher.

19. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    On a last note, these days aluminium used is just recycled shite that why it’s always painted. I’ve an old eastern block Mz in bare aluminium been stud in a wet garage for 20yrs (before me) with virtually NO ENGINE CORROSION!
    That’s because recycling wasn’t as popular and only quality virgin aluminium was used.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Except your virgins have been corrupted too. Almost all of the aluminium used is/are alloys containing silicon, copper, magnesium etc., to give it the desired properties. Recycling does not mean melting and pouring any old iron without checking the recipe. Your MZ probably had a good chunk of zinc in it. My old Ossa was similar.......and quite brittle as I found out!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    My two year old Tiger has this issue too. Think it is a Triumph thing.

22. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Mazda too. You should look at the underside of a 6 yr old MX5 but the effect is almost entirely cosmetic on the hubs and spars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Worked on the underside of those heaps plenty of times! They look like they’ve turned to stone!

24. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    Square Deal has stainless steel studs and they are very well made, I also found all metal stainless locking type (torque prevailing) nuts one Ali Express although you will have to wait a few weeks for them to come from China.

Jim.