Help Needed For T140

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by joe mc donald, Jun 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    One for the bonnie t140 peeps. Now its all about valve timing before I start I say this as I have a tendency of confusing people. I have my 77 t140 valve timing out I have now timed the crank and intermediate gear. But the inlet and exhaust are way out. each gear has about a quarter inch free play at present if I set them up by loosening the tappets do they have to retain the free play and at what point at the start in the middle or at the end of the travel. Any advice would be good for me.
    Kind regards.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks all and I do have a manual I put up some where some years ago when I decided no more classics and you know the rest relying on the web at present.
    Regards
    Joe.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Oldyam
    Yes I read that earlier and wondered if I were to turn my crank would it eventually line up.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think you just line the dots (punch marks) on the gears and thats it !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Did you remove the inter gear to line it up with the crank gear ? or did you just turn the engine over to line it up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rocker
    I removed the gear or closer it just fell of on me as I was trying to lift the bike up on the centre stand. I have had this machine about three years now and in all that time I think I have ridden it maybe a couple of hundred miles in all something is always breaking. But I will get there if it kills me it is going to run and stay reliable. Thanks for the help.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Make sure you don't turn the engine over if the valve timing is out you might bend a valve :-(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Reset to the marks turn over by hand to be sure nothing touches and you should be good to go:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Timed it all up and wouln't you know it one stupid push rod has dropped out. Really i could weep. But i really need to say thankyou to all you people for the help and advice. I also need to say a real big thanks to people like RockerBox who's help went far beyond general they even noticed that things like a dowel was damaged which is an oil carrying dowel from a picture. And Reg Allen who was prepared to send pic's and advice and Meriden Motorcycles who have said they would be happy to pick the bike up and sort it. You know some times we get down a bit and think the whole world is picking on us. Then people like these and your self's come along. Makes it a nice place to be. Thanks every on. I sure i have missed some of the helpers for that i am so sorry but am so very greatful
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    As you have found out timing the engine with the push rods installed is not advisable, just remove both rocker assemblies and time the motor with no load to the cams, otherwise your fighting a loosing battle, as said its just a case of lining up the dots/dashes, once you have done that you can replace the rocker boxes and set the valve clearance and your good to go....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tricky-Dicky.
    You are bang on with that one and yes I have found out. But rockers and mechanical bit I don't mind and quite enjoy it. Timing and studying I am useless or maybe impatient. Next job is even more baffling me the tacho drive is going to need to come of to change the o'ring as it has a leak and I don't have a clue.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Well Chaps / Ladies Children the whole world.
    I did it. It fired up second kick and ran sweet. Need to take it somewhere to get the ignition timing check and carbs tweaked. As i have done it all by ear and chance. Could not understand the boyer micro as when i timed it to their marks all it wanted to do was break my leg but probably me not Boyer as i have found them exellent over the years. People like the Rockerboy Chaps and Reg Allen i give to you my sincere thanks just talking to you gave me the lift i needed and made me determined to gaet it back up and running. Even RockerBox I sent a picture to and when i phoned they insisted i wait and speak to them as i had a dowel damaged which was an oil carrying dowel hows that for help boyond the call. And of course everyone on here who gave me encouragement.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 6