Help Me Salvage The Speed

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Warren71, Jan 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Warren71

Warren71 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    Hi guys - sorry I've been offline sooo bloody long. Its been a crazy year.
    I bought the speedy to "upgrade" my 2010 street triple.

I've tweaked tires, had suspensions professionally adjusted... played with airhawk seats.

No matter what I do, I cant help feeling that the bike, with its forward angle on the seat and > 400# seemingly with a higher COG, is a bit too committed for commuting.

Maybe its just my 5'9 frame or the fact that the last 2 bikes I've kept the longest is the smaller street and the lower COG BMW 1200RS

I bought it hoping for a better mid-range (check), more planted (check) and even got better air protection (surprisingly).

But after 2500 miles, I still don't feel totally at home with it.

When straight and fast, its settles in and is perfect,
    Slower in city travel - too leaned forward to be considered comfortable or at ease.

Im at a stage where im considering

1) risers, but not thrilled cause I dont want to feel even higher.
    2) Lowering the read by 5-10 mm, to make the seat more neutral (PIA)

3) Look at the '20 street triple RS which retained a more neutral stance.
    4) My old man brain is looking at the speed twin to mix with the BMW, but my kid calls it a lame bike and my brain thinks its kinda a poser bike, although a very capable poser bike.

I joke that the street was like wearing a glove and it was just an extension of my brain.
    The speed feels like I'm riding a bull, but with control. (high, leaned forward over a 50# heavier bike). But thats not an ideal spirited commuter.

I love the thing, but just not feeling it.

Any ideas?

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Both Su and myself have swapped from street and speed triples to the 1200 speed twins, ok they don't have the top end performance of the triples or the handling but upto around 100 mph they are as much fun if not more, the suspension is not the best in the world and you will see a huge improvement by just replacing the rear shocks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    You could try some bars with a swept back shape renthalls or whatever.
    (or as a test, loosen your bar clamps and rotate the bars back towards you a bit and see what effect it has)
    The Speed Twin, is actually well suited to your needs for comfort and LOTS of midrange poke.
    I take your point about styling though, it may seem a bit contrived ...

Why don't you take a test ride on a Speed Twin and maybe try some swept back bars on the triple.

BTW, my Speed Triple RS still has weight on the bars when travelling at low speed but I don't ride commute generally . Its a pain going on long 30 zones..

• Like Like x 2
  4. Warren71

Warren71 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    thanks.

I have a feeling that's exactly what I'm going to do.

In the back of my mind I knew this wasn't fitting me, which is why I haven't really done much "farkling" with the bike.

I do need to get my $$$'s worth out of the new tires, but theres speed twin on sale about 500 miles from here for 1.5 K off.

I liked the idea with fiddling with the bars - worth a shot.

But I'll be testing a speed twin and maybe come full circle and check out the '20 street triple too.

I'll just have to ignore my oldest child !

Trade in is gonna suck, but at least this was a demo bike (<200 mi) so 2500$ of that depreciation was taken by the dealer.

But I will see if the bar changes anything.

thanks again

• Like Like x 3