Help for users of Garmin sat navs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dougie D, Sep 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #61 Dougie D, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    I've sent out a friends request to all members, i have my routes set as friends that will be why people can't see them..mind you my home address is no longer on the routes so i guess it wouldn't do any harm making them all public now?

2. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    that spain 2 route of Tims looks fantastic, it's great having "the wee man from Goggle" to check the road out :):):)

3. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Riding it is better :cool::D

Dougie's cracked it,I can see all his routes now we're friends.

4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Does anyone know how to add a point of interest? (not a waypoint) i did it last week and I'm sure i just put the curser on the route and stretched the route line to where i wanted it to go, but i tried it last night and the route line would not stretch it just wanted to add another waypoint,
    The reason i want to add points of interest is that if i change my mind and ride past it, the sat nav doesn't keep wanting to send you back to it
    edit the points of interest would be a slight detour from the created route

5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I just converted my my 'Track' into a route !!!! Dead easy. Just clicked on import, import track (Not route) and selected it from the file on my armin unit that was plugged into the laptop.

Reason was, I went seriously off-road today and ended up 40 miles from home on the KTM !!!! The armin couldn't follow all the route I had put into it, mainly because they were forest tracks and not actual roads. Will have to go do it again and hopefully this time Garmin will take me all the way.

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    was that just on the garmin basecamp or mapmyroute?

7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    myroute do recommend converting track to route, as seemingly it is much more accurate doing it that way..although when i have been making up routes i have gone overboard with the waymarks so my routes now should be really accurate!!:rolleyes: (i think when you import a route from myroute into your Garmini it goes into track aswell as into your route,so i think what they are saying is although your route is already in the routes it's better to convert the route which is in the track into a route!! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Use myroute-app route planning thingymabob page.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Bikerman if you have understood Basecamp, the myroute-app website should be a breeze! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think myroute-app is the updated tyre site

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Is anyone having issues with Bluetooth connection? It keeps dropping out between my 340 and scala q3, my phone stays connected to q3 so not sure what's happening

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Do you still loose connection to your sat nav if you switch your phone bluetooth off?,just clutching at straws really as anytime i've used my sat nav my phones bluetooth is switched off

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Cheers, Havent tried that yet, but it shouldn't be an issue due to the scala having 2 channels, I always need my phone on incase of www....you know what I mean

14. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Hi guys, just stumbled on your thread last night, can I join your gang please? :)
    I'm new to the myroute-app but have been using Garmin sat-navs for 14 years now (Garmin-V, Zumo550, Zumo660) and fairly proficient at Basecamp (tcbandituk your not the only one now) and its predecessor MapSource. Must have about 30k miles of routes mostly in Europe stashed away on my pc. Also understand and have experience of creating poi files, eg got a few which contain Triumph dealers in various countries (always useful if the worst happens).
    It sounds like the latest Garmin sat-navs may have changed their terminology/features a bit but unless they've changed their architecture (12AX7) yes you can remove all your tracks but you need to connect to your pc and dig out the relevant files.
    Winter's here and Speedy's tucked away in the garage now till spring, so if I can be of assistance....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'm running scala q3 with my Zumo660, connection is solid between them and also bike to bike with SWMBO, but as soon as I use the phone bluetooth as well it then starts to get a bit flakey.
    I suspect it might be because I'm potentially connecting to the phone via 2 routes. I've got the phone paired directly to the q3 (so I can use it when sat-navs not fitted) but also paired to zumo so you get the phone book/dial function on there. I've been thinking about resetting the q3 to wipe its connection to the phone (which I rarely use anyway) and just let the zumo handle the phone.

16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Col, if you go to https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/user/login and do a search for triumph forum you can send Mr orange a request to join, the more members the better :) i have quite a few routes in Scotland for members to copy/edit if need be. Your'e european routes would be interesting to see:) If you have any problems finding the triumph forum group give Mr Orange a shout (he's got the key to let you in!)

17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup that's what the issue was, phone connected to satnav and scala so it got confused and dropped the connection all round. I have set phone to forget the garmin and only use scala as I don't need phonebook etc as I only use it for incoming calls. Seems to work now

• Like Like x 3
  18. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Kind of reassuring knowing it's not just me then.:)

Now I'm in the gang;) I'll start posting some routes etc. over the winter months, I'll start with the POI files (and what to do with them) for Triumph dealers as that's universally handy to have loaded. Any other requests? I've covered most of the good biking areas of Europe (Croatia is my furthest jaunt), or Cornwall of course.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Your's would take you to Bavaria! ! ! ! :D

• Like Like x 3
  20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can you tell me if the garmin has an "avoid part of route" facility? My tom tom does and it's great for ..... yes you've guessed it.....avoiding certain roads on your journey, like if you get bored of the motorway after a while.
    I know it has detour but you're at a loss as to where that will take you. Ah! An another thing! Can you get an overview of your route so that you can see where it's taking you? So many questions.