Help Buying Used Street Triple R

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Colin_l, Jul 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Colin_l

Colin_l New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scotland
    as above been looking for a used street triple are . A found one that is for sale private it’s 63 plate with just under 5k on the clock it got its 500mile service but since then hadn’t been serviced .its on second owner and the guy had only done 2.5k in nearly 3 years he is putting it in to get serviced this week .

Is this bike worth a look or should I avoid ? Should it be serviced every year regardless of mileage?

Thanks

2. franky

franky Well-Known Member

May 22, 2016
    uk
    I wouldn't worry about it. get a feel for the bike with such low use.

3. Colin_l

Colin_l New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scotland
    Won’t it matter to much it hadn’t been serviced in like 4 years . Spoke to seller he seems genuine said he has just been lazy because it’s not been getting used much didn’t see point in service

• Love You Love You x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Look at it this way.......what does servicing actually do?

It consists of a mix of checks, adjustments and lubricants. The biggest single thing is engine oil. The oil itself is degraded in use as its molecular structure gets broken down by heat and friction and its detergents wash combustion by-products off the motor. Unused oil deteriorates minimally.

Alongside servicing there is general deterioration. The biggest worry on a bike are the oil seals on forks and input/output shafts from the engine. Chances are they are fine but I would replace the fork oil in early course just to be on the safe side if it was not part of the service.

Most bikes these days get light annual use. If it looks like it has generally been looked after then lack of an annual service with low mileage would not bother me a jot. The one thing I would budget for is new tyres. The likelihood is that their carcases are time expired irrespective of actual wear. There is a little oval mark on every tyre wall with a 4 figure number e.g. 4206. That signifies manufactured week 42 of 2006. I would junk a tyre much more than 5 yrs old.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Colin_l

Colin_l New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scotland
    Thanks a lot for the replies so far by sounds of things the guy has bought the bike for good intentions to use it as a bike in summer but says it’s just been in his shed most of time just used the odd nice day . Basically selling due to lack of use .

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sounds plausible. Chances are the battery is shot too. Check and haggle!

7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Wouldn't worry about lack of service, but get the price of a new battery knocked off it. Lack of use will have severely Shortened it's life, and streets not the best starters, when battery is low.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Triple1

Triple1 New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Not Wales
    As already mentioned in previous comments really. Just try and get a few quid off for a few replacements. Good luck with your decision .

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    True enough but UV light is the real killer. Chances are a 63 plate with 5,000 has its original tyres....

10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Check whether the service he is getting done includes replacing brake fluid and coolant, if not budget for that. Also as previously mentioned assume battery and tyres will need replacing.
    Asking him whether he has kept it on a trickle charger and tyres off the ground (people rarely do the later - me included) but will give you some indication of how careful an owner he is. Has he started it up at all during its lay-up periods (not a good idea IMO - unless properly warmed through/riden), or used any fuel additives to protect against stale fuel? Injection systems are usually better than carbs at tolerating stale fuel, but also was tank kept full to minimise condensation/water/rust?
    All good bargaining points.

11. Colin_l

Colin_l New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scotland
    Thanks a lot for reply by sounds of it he is wanting £4800 . It’s been stored in a hut most the time and used the odd day in good weather . What yous think of price imits