Helmets, Wouldn't It Be Nice...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Big Sandy, Jun 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    There's a serious shortage of bike shops in my area. (aye, okay, serious shortage of shops, full stop)
    Nearest is about 100 mile round trip.. Not much, but I seriously dislike the guy who runs it.

Anyhoo, wouldn't it be nice if a shop let you try your new lid out on the road? I have a Shark D Skwal

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/shark-d-skwal-blank-blk-free-dark-race-visor/

It fits okay (had to faff with the cheek pads) but over 50mph it's frelling noisy. Ear plugs are the order of the day... Wind noise. Tried a scarf, face mask, to fill the space round the bottom, to no avail. Yet it's a damn tight fit to get on, any tighter I wouldn't get my head in it. I'm not convinced it's round the bottom the noise is coming from....

I had a Lazer for years, it was a good fit, and pretty quiet. Can't find that particular model now. Also had Bieffe (sp?), think they went out of business.

I think I'm a going to have to go further afield and try a few different ones.

I know it's all about fit, and no two of us have the same shape and size heads, but I'd be interested to know what your preferences are.

Ha! Just had a thought.... Shaved my head a couple of years back. Wonder if the absense of hair makes a difference. :joy:

2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Sandy,
    I found many brand sites have measurements around the skull at different positions to gauge fit. Last purchase was a white end of line for small money but had all the safety ratings and fit like a glove.
    That brand had measure across the crown to the top of the neck.

3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The choice out there is immense as you know Sandy, you need to start whittling it down by style, budget etc. Then when you find something that looks good for you then internet reviews and research as well as recommendations but without trying them on it's a bit of a lottery tbh.
    I used to go for AGV but they then changed their internal styling and all of a sudden they didn't fit anymore. Now on Shoei for race style helmet and Caberg for cruiser style :cool::cool:

4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's interesting.... Not seen that. Buying online is an option I use a lot, but you know yourself once you have removed tags etc to road test, there's no sending it back!

Shall certainly look out for sites with measurement facilities, thanks for the heads up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Mrs BS has a Caberg, she's very happy with it. I can't find one that's comfortable though.... Hers is a flip front.

As you say, it's a case of trying as many as I can... Might have to take a run to Inverness, that's the next nearest. Try a few....

Can put up with the Shark for now, with ear plugs!

(got a whistle of windcoming through the fairing infil too, that's not helping.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I have the Caberg Ghost and most definitely need ear plugs with it, I suppose it is effectively an open face lid ;);)
    My Shoei Qwest is gleaming and very quiet :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Over the years I’ve worn Shoei’s, Arai’s, Bell, and HJC and more recently a Schuberth (which I really like) however they’re all fricking noisy, I can’t remember ever putting on a helmet and thinking , bloody hell thats quiet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I bought an HJC RPHA ST a while back. Comfortable fit - probably the best I've had for many a year - and nicely built but louder than a steam locomotive blowing off excess steam - and that's before I've got over 30mph!:scream: So earplugs it is then!: unamused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Noise seems to be a theme doesn't it... :(

I remember reading an article a few years back about helmet noise, and just how much damage it does over time. They did say how many decibels it was, and how much exposure did damage... But, numbers man, numbers!

I'm deaf enough already!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I wore a Neotec for years, it was slightly quieter but it’s a big heavy lid. I’ve moved back to traditional one piece full face helmets, they’re just so much lighter and feel safer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    I've had loads of helmets over the 50 years I've been riding and all of them let in wind noise. I started to experience some loss of hearing about 20 years ago and started wearing ear plugs. It hasn't got any worse since then (well maybe just a bit due to extreme decrepitude) but I strongly recommend to ALWAYS wear ear plugs, irrespective of what helmet you wear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Speaking of earplugs, I bought some in Lidl for £1.99, exactly the same as the Alpine ones I use.... Just like £11 cheaper!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    @Big Sandy Thesportsbikeshop just opened in Leeds do as you asked. You can go in and get a plain white (so they all looked) helmet from a range of makes and models. Presumably you fill paperwork in and then, so i was told, you can go out on your bike for an hour or so test ride with their demo helmet.
    I appreciate this isn't local to you but certainly opens up options and worth inquiring further.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I too bought a Shark D skwal and totally agree with your comments about fitment. Must have worn mine less than 5 times. It so tight putting in on, even worse taking it off. Plus i get headaches wearing it so it's just sitting in my cloakroom now gathering dust. I must say it is my right size. Am death in my right lug hole, I've been told the noise from crash helmets over the years contributed to this. No one wore earplugs in the 70s and 80s.
    I used to always buy AGV and Shoei helmets but their designs don't fit me now. I find most helmets are for the thin, long head where i have a rounder bonce. I have also found modern helmets are much noisier now due to the new ways they make them. It's all about style with no thought about noise protection. Funnily i have found cheaper Chinese made helmets fit me perfect. So does that mean i have a Chinese head and a not European head.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's interesting. I suppose when you think about it, I can understand why most don't let you try them, have to have at least 4 different sizes of all the brands they sell, which they then can't sell at full price. Good on them, full marks for helpfulness. Wish they were nearer.

Right enough, getting it on is interesting, but getting it off is more so. It's okay when on (except for the cheek pads, had to alter them...) and its surprisingly easy to get my glasses on and off. Ol 4 eyes, that's me.

Just going to have to visit a shop and try a few, if that's my nearest shop, I'll 'not find one I like' (as the owner is a chocolate starfish...) And then buy online. Decent shop owner, I'm happy to buy in the shop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

#15 David Cooper, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    As some of you already know, I suffer from severe Tinnitus, and as I work in a noisy workplace I should wear ear protection, but industrial earmuffs cause pressure to the eardrums and are not an option for Tinnitus sufferers , so my employer arranged for me to get a set of moulded ear plugs which are absolutely brilliant at noise reduction, there are quite a few that are suitable for bikers, and as long as you don't need to listen to a satnav or the likes, they are a good choice, although they are quite expensive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    My Schoei GT Air is pretty quiet, but the bike I'm riding really makes a difference too.
    I can ride the Exploder without earplugs, but the 765 is borderline needing them (especially when making progress) and definitely needed on the Daytona.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    Sorry but can you repeat that. I couldn't hear you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I use my own custom made ear plugs cos I have very narrow ear canals and I can't get even the foam ones to go in let alone the rubber ones on a string. Best of luck with the helmet search, mines an HJC RPHA 10 plus, all day comfy, light and about par for the course noise wise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Seen a few positive comments about HJC now... They look like they are reasonably priced too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    The Scorpion I just bought has got in/deflatable cheekpads.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4