Helmet Noise

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Oz228, May 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    I have only just recently got myself a street triple R, but I have noticed that the wind noise on my shoei GT air is really noticeable with a loud whipping sound coming only on the left side. I do have an intercom connected and maybe the wind hitting that is the issue, but I didn't have the noise like this on my old bike.

I'm just wondering if the seating position on the street being different could be causing it and maybe not best suited for that riding position. The helmet is only 1 year old with only 6 months of use as I don't use the bike over winter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Sounds like it mate. A different screen may help, if not then put up with it, ear plugs or new lid o_Oo_O

3. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    I think I will try earplugs being the cheapest option, not wanting to buy a new helmet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Use some play doh and mold it around the intercom to blend it in with the helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I always use earplugs, got so many biker mates who are mutton after years of not using them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Noticed that since I fitted a intercom to the Shoei the wind noise has increased.

Whilst riding if I place my left hand over the intercom or just in front of it the noise reduces dramatically.

Got plenty of play doh here which is the grandchildrens so I may try darkmans idea :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I know i have a different bike to you(1050 Tiger se) I've played with screens, removing mirrors, Fitted a Palmer Product screen adjuster but i sill get wind noise. I've worked it out i was the helmet design. My Shark full face is the worse, way too noisy. Next is an adventure style helmet with peak. Would have thought having a peak it would be noisier but it was better. With both helmets, i tried the screen at different positions with no avail. I borrowed an open face helmet and hay preso the wind noise disappeared. I didn't feel safe with this helmet and looking like Henry Cole put me even more of them.
    Most helmets are wind turbine tested but in real life, it's down with the angle the wearer holds his/her head. Different wind conditions and the design of the bike. So unless you have thousands to try every helmet on the market i would go down the custom moulded earplug way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    only after switching from Shoei to Arai did I reaslise how noisy the Shoei was great lid though

9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I have an HJC RPHA ST which is the noisiest helmet I've ever had in 52 years of riding. I have to use earplugs even though I dislike them for a couple of reasons.
    Has anyone tried the Windjammer 11 skirt thingy that fastens around the base of the helmet? For £12 or so I might have to try one.

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    This may be silly but is the whipping the chin strap not clipped on the retainer

11. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    I used the windjammer, it was mainly to reduce buffeting at ahem motorway speeds.
    It was very effective at that, cant say I noticed much difference in noise.

• Thanks Thanks x 1