Helmet Advice

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Gianfranco, Oct 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gianfranco

Gianfranco Well-Known Member

May 14, 2017
    Italy
  2. Gianfranco

Gianfranco Well-Known Member

May 14, 2017
    Italy
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Helmet choice is a very personal thing and I'd be surprised if someone had owned both of these to give you a side by side comparison, so any info we could give to you would be the same as you could find on the internet. Have you tried both on yourself? Which one fits you or your partner better, you say you want to get the same for your partner, will the style you pick fit her properly? If they both fit you properly go with the one you like best!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #24 Tiglet, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    I never buy a helmet because it looks cool, I buy one that fits and therefore will hopefully give me the best protection. After all is that not the reason why we wear them :worried:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    We can tell!!:eek:

6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Yes well with my size of ed there is only limited sizes, so I have to make do with a home made papier mache helmet :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Always go for the best fitting helmet. Fit is the be all and end all.
    Always buy the best quality helmet you can afford.
    Those are my two mantras when buying helmets.
    As to the rest it’s whatever you fancy as long as you meet those mantras above ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014

9. redrusty2000

redrusty2000 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Kelso
    Caberg is good as long as it fits your head shape, like all helmets. Caberg's suit round heads - round the ears and round from the brow back - football-shaped heads! The Simpson is more about style than substance IMHO. They are noisy helmets and the build quality is dubious compared to the Caberg. More expensive in most places too - unless you get a deal. I would go with the Caberg if it was a split between these two.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Pebowles

Pebowles New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    California
    I’m not sure about England, but in the US we have helmets that either meet the Snell certification, or not. The Snell Foundation was started years ago by the parents of a race car driver who died of head injuries. The standards are updated every 5 years or so; most people consider them authoritative. You can look on their website to see if a particular helmet is listed. Maybe the cheese eating pests in Brussels have some standards, but I would not hold much faith in them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Snell standard helmets are compulsory for 4 wheel motorsport in the UK but are actually not road legal.

12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    SHARP is the most rigorous UK standard that exceeds EU requirements upon which legality for road use is based......much as Snell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    I've not heard good comments about Caberg, so much so I was turned off the idea of buying when I was considering, but then again I've mostly ever bought HJC or AGV, found them to be the best fit for my head, so perhaps wont suit every one but the build quality is good on both, heard Caberg have a habit of getting at least 1 size bigger with use pretty early and linings falling to bits!
    I prefer double 'D' ring fastening too, although my latest AGV has the micro adjusting ratchet which I'm getting more used too, nearly liking!
    I know nothing about Simpson, didn't they used to make mopeds in the '70's?:)

14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Have you tried either of these helmets on? Sounds like internet shopping on how they look, not the best way to buy.

I was all for buying an AGV, walked around in the shop for 10 minutes and that was it, couldn't get it off quick enough, head pain was massive. Wore Arai for years, tried the latest version of the same helmet - hated it !!!! Did the same when I bought my Shoei this year, walked about for at least 15 minutes with it on , in the shop, all good and bought it. Only later did I find the ventilation poor, but thats another story.

Oh, and don't buy matching helmets with your pillion, we'll all laugh at you !!!!!:p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Helmet advice.... if it turns blue she’s gripping too tight and needs to relax into it a bit more.

Or is that something different and l’m in the wrong section....?

• Funny Funny x 7
  16. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Only on this forum...................................................:laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Surprised the Arai was an issue. You are not related to Joseph(John)Merrick are you?;)

18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

No bloody space at the front. It was squishing the beard!!!!

No seriously, my lips were touching the chin guard, not pleasent. No space for intercom mic either.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    I have to agree, my Arai is a lovely helmet but the chin guard is quite close

IMG_0527.JPG

20. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    As is my AGV flip but just acceptable.