Hello!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Davepski, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Rob the Scott

Rob the Scott Active Member

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    Love the photo! Happily, British bikes have come a long way in reliability! Although a lot of GA is pretty flat, there are some pretty areas. I haven't visited Athens, but was in Atlanta in the 90's and Lake Lanier was very pretty. My son lived in Augusta for a couple of years, and we found that town to be very cool, especially the old mill in which he lived (we took a canal tour, which was fascinating!).
    Where do you ride in the area?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    The flat area of GA is the southern third. The Piedmont area in which Athens (and Atlanta) lies (lays?) is hilly and north GA is full of twisty mountain riding (foothills compared to the Rocky Mountains). If we are going for a weekend treat, we go to Two Wheels of Suches and use that as a launch point for mountain riding, but for day rides there are miles and miles of great country roads right outside Athens we explore. New Jersey looked like it has great riding also but alas my experience with NJ is limited to one very long winter I spent at luxurious Fort Dix:pensive:. And the Norton has never left us stranded...testament to the simplicity of the bike and my husband's mechanical deftness (including replacing a leaking head seal in a campground at Sturgis).

Sorry, Davepski, for this little sidetrack in your post!

clear.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Davepski

Davepski New Member

Feb 8, 2024
    Erie, CO
    That sounds like a wonderful trip! Well, I’ll except for running through the gravel on your sprint. But still, sounds fantastic! Great that your son is getting into riding, and I took my DMV test when I was 16 on a rebel 250. I’m 5‘10“ and it was small for me, so I can only imagine how your son feels on it. I just listed my bike for sale, and to be quite honest I’m not sure that I want to sell it. So, I have it listed for $21.7k, which is on the high side of competitive given all the accessories that are on it. My recommendation for your boy would be to look for one that is five years old or so. Maybe six or seven years. he should be able to get into one like that for the mid to high teens. If he is looking at the GS, he won’t regret it. My only complaint for me is that I have a bad lower back, so getting on an off, and longer days riding are getting harder.
    cheers, Dave

4. Davepski

Davepski New Member

Feb 8, 2024
    Erie, CO
    Love it, you’ve got that packed in there. Nice and tight. Nice work!

5. Davepski

Davepski New Member

Feb 8, 2024
    Erie, CO
    Thanks Martine! What a great picture of you guys! That one should be up in a frame somewhere. Yes, that riding through Estes Park and all along the divide is really fantastic. Honestly, it’s a huge part of why I moved to Colorado 16 years ago. It all started with a motorcycle trip out here. Here I am living the dream. Cheers and thanks for saying hello.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Davepski

Davepski New Member

Feb 8, 2024
    Erie, CO
    Yes. For certain that would’ve been good to do a little more skiing before I got injured. Oh well, I’ll be up and at it for motorcycle season this summer, and ski season next year! Thanks.