Hello, I've inherited a t160 custom

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by JBaker, Jul 30, 2016.

1. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    Hello, my father went off to heaven before his time last year at 55 and I've inherited his t160 chopper. As I don't even have a licence yet I'm planning on storing it for about a year. What precautions should I take to prevent damage from it being idol. Any advice much appreciated

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Sorry about your loss, it would be best to store the bike in a warm dry place if you can. A good clean followed by waxing to protect it, if not you could buy a vacuum bag to put the bike in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi JBaker, condolences on your loss. Losing a parent is a big blow but at least in the future you'll be able to ride your Dad's bike and hopefully bring back good memories.

Re storage:

1. Remove the battery and put on a battery tender (keeps the battery in good nick)

2. Inflate the tyres to 35psi and then put the bike on blocks so both wheels are off the ground;

3. Give the engine an oil and filter change;

4. Empty all the fuel out of the tank and carbs to prevent them getting gummed up.

5. Storage somewhere dry but well ventilated.

6. As BM suggested give the bike a thorough clean and then wax it. Scottoiler have a spray-on protection product which would be ideal in these circumstances. It's called Scottoiler FS365.

Now go get your bike license passed, then you can enjoy your Dads gift to you.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    Cheers lads I'll get onto that right away and yes I have amazing memories of adventures together. He was really my best friend and I miss him dearly

6. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Sorry for your loss, but what a fabulous keep sake and memories you have. I hope you enjoy it

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi J, Sorry about your dad,
    All of the above but if it's going to stand for a while it might be worth taking the spark plugs out and putting a bit of oil on top of the Pistons and kicking her over now and again
    What a classy looking bike!

8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Wow that is very trick :)

9. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    Thanks, I have cleaned and polished it each month or so and started it up every 6 to 8 weeks but as it air cooled I didn't leave it running for long.
    It was in my friends workshop where it was easy to work on but after 6 months it started to get in the way of his jap bike projects so I've had to move it somewhere less accessible. Also it only started on two cylinders before firing up the 3rd after about a minute the last time we started it.
    I would have been on it by now had I not broken both my legs, hip, knee, ankle and a few ribs in a car accident shortly after my dads departure but bones are healing and physio is getting results. The kick start is abit daunting though at the moment.
    I've read that t160's cannot be converted to electric start. Is that right?

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  11. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    thanks, I'll have a look at thise

12. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi J, welcome etc, just a pity about the circumstances. No doubt you are well on the way following all the above advice. Get your ticket and give your dear old Dads wheels a good run out as a fitting tribute.

• Like Like x 1
  13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Regards my previous post, if your starting her regularly there'd be no need for oil in the barrels.

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes you can fit electric but not worth it as they they start real easy, usual prob is a blocked fuel idle jet in the base of the carb or fouled plug if you are not warming it up fully.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    Yeah it does start nicely, but my leg is recovering from car smash and not up to it yet!
    I had new op recently and it's getting much better though hopefully there's no ne

16. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    That has to be the worst possible way to become a bike owner. My best wishes to you and all your family.
    I am not a big fan of choppers, but there is a neat and endearing simplicity about your dad's bike. Be proud!:)
    You say it is a T160. If that is the case it has (or should have) an electric start and a 5 speed gearbox, although earlier (but not too early) T150s (T150V) had 5 speeds but no electric foot. (The V is a Latin V = 5 i.e. T150 - 4 speed, T150V - 5 speed, T160V - 5 speed). Same with later Bonnevilles - T140V is a 5 speed jobby. Now, where the feck did I put my anorak??:D

• Like Like x 2
  17. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    I'm pretty it's a t160 as it says so on the side of engine and my reg cert. 1975 is what I think I remember he said.

I do remember him talking about a 'tri spark' ignition that he was considering getting but I've been told that it would still require kickstart and that this mod would just be more efficient with the kick start. Are you saying the kickstart could be bypassed and it could be made to start at the touch of a button?

I wish I listened more now

18. JBaker

JBaker New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Cheltenham
    The reg cert actually says it was declared manufactured in 1972.. Overseas ?

19. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome to the forum J sorry to hear about your Dad, But boy your gonna have some fun on your
    Dad's bike, I have to say he certainly had good taste what a beauty !!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sorry for your loss and busting your legs, that is some crap your having to take.

You not got any biker mates that can look after it for you? Take it out for wee jaunts. Always find idle machinery has a way of finding faults and getting rusty, that an active doesn't. Parked a 1959 Hillman Minx up for a year whilst i ran other classics, thing never ran the same again.

If you were near me, I would happily adopt it for a year and look after it whilst you get sorted, and I am sure anybody who's into bikes would.

P.S. _ am not on the scrounge for a free bike !!!! Just offering advice :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1