Hello from Essex

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MrTriple, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Hi Everyone - I've been lurking on the forum in search of technical tips and advice for about a year, so it's about time I joined!

I bought a Speed Triple R 2016 last April as an upgrade from a Yamaha MT-125. I've been riding for one year, but driving since 1982, so I'm a late starter.

People said, "you don't want such a big bike" and "you need to work up gradually and gain experience" but they are wrong! I'm just about to start my IAM training (IAM car member since 1984) and I'm loving every minute of it.

Why didn't I do this earlier!?

• Like Like x 4
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Welcome in mrT. Congrats on the bike and move up.
    Yeah! Why didn't you do it earlier

• Like Like x 1
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy. All the best with IAM

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trophy57

Trophy57 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tasmania Australia
    Hi from Australia Mr T

Lots of great advice here on this forum ( if needed of course ;))

Cheers
    Gary

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Hey MrT. Never too late mate. Welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Hi MrT and welcome. Now that is what you call an upgrade, great bike

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    welcome MrT what a cracking first "big" bike:) and good luck with your IAM test,that's something i've fancied doing but never seem to find the time:oops:

• Like Like x 1
  8. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    A warm welcome and good luck with your new bike and your upcoming IAM test

• Like Like x 1
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #10 MrTriple, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Thanks for the warm welcome - from very far and wide. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the IAM though...the pressure is most definitely on.

As for the bike...well it's stunning (you already know this of course) - in fact all the Triumphs are stunning, but choosing the Speed Triple felt obvious to me...the right feel and fit. My son has a Daytona 675R and the pair of them together is a beautiful thing!

Here's a shot from the summer - I've since swapped the tail tidy, added a Conquest Carbon hugger and chain guard, a rear seat cowl and I've removed the pillion pegs for a cleaner look ;)

2016-06-09 16.08.14.jpg

2016-06-09 16.08.14.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Welcome, glad you're loving it!
    What a sweet, clean and beautiful bike you have! Hardly looks ridden, good job :mad::p

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thanks Phil. Well she was only 3 months old when that pic was taken - and now after 9 months, she looks...erm...the same ;)

I'm a very OCD when it comes to cleaning - I have all the right products in my detailing kit and OK, she's very low mileage and I avoid the rain (definitely the salt) but it makes it easy to keep her looking tip-top.

Plus...I share an MT-07 with my son for grubby days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi n welcome, fantastic choice of bike. My Su has an MT07 but has been making eyes at Street Triples as of late :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I considered the Street, but couldn't resist the muscle (both performance and looks) of the Speed. A Street instead of an MT-07...well yes, that sounds like a good move.

My son has a mean looking Phantom Black Daytona 675R, so the MT-07 was specifically for regular riding and the winter. It has an ear-bleeding Akrapovic full system and the no-baffle twin sound is fabulous (if that's what you like)...but it doesn't have the build quality that the Triumphs have. That's the point though...a very usable and easy to live with bike, that doesn't leave you worrying (so much) when it's left chained up somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Now that sounds a fair deal!
    Was it him who got you into the biking world?

16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I like cars. They don't fall over so easily and I swore I would never ride a bike. Not ever.

My son started riding four years ago and our motoring paths never crossed. He kept on at me and eventually convinced me to do my CBT last November - just to see if I liked it. Nothing to lose (he said). Then I did the Theory (just in case) and as it was cheap being winter, signed up for Mod 1 and 2...and was all done by January. Whoops.

I will never ride a bike o_O

• Like Like x 2
  17. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Mr T
    Nice looking first big bike

• Like Like x 1
  18. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Lol I love it. Bikes are fuckin dangerous...........but aint we all??????? and as you prove, they are addictive. You gotta go some way , may as well be what you wanna be doing. lol

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I try to limit the amount of danger that I'm 'generating' - and I'm taking my time to find my two wheels.

Addictive definitely, but dangerous...yes of course stuff happens that you can't control - but I reckon that texting while driving is statistically more dangerous than riding.

20. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Hi MrTriple,
    High Beech meeting place with the new cooking facility, one of your haunts ? I have a 140 mile round trip down there midweek.