Vintage Tiger Hello All, New To Triumph And Have A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Anthony Koch, May 31, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Anthony Koch

Anthony Koch New Member

May 30, 2022
    Denver,Colorado
    I have been out of the motocyclin game for quite some time after wiping out on my Honda F4i and busted up my shoulder pretty bad. I just bought an 01 Triumph tiger 955i and love it ! I just got it Saturday, took it for a short ride today, got over the nervous heebe jeebees rather quickly. Im gonna have to relearn how to take turns and curves again, Lol. Anyway, i was trying to find a comprehensive list of all the bulbs this bike uses but jeesh, havent found anything other than the headlight seems to be a 9003 . I am defiantly upgrading the headlights cause the stock type bulbs are still there and all other bulbs are still the incandescent ones. ALso, that mobil 1 4t racing oil is hella expensive, i was hoping it ok to us something like this "
    Quicksilver 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil", should be ok ?
    THe rear brake rotor seems to me a bit rough, surface not smooth all the way across, was trying to find a new replacement but it seems there not any around i could find, anyone got a good source ? The previous owner put on new rear pads but those arnt going to last long with that old rotor.

2. Anthony Koch

Anthony Koch New Member

May 30, 2022
    Denver,Colorado
    Also looking for instruction on how to get to the instrument bulbs and headlight bulbs.

3. Anthony Koch

Anthony Koch New Member

May 30, 2022
    Denver,Colorado
    Wow, alrighty then :(

4. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
  6. Anthony Koch

Anthony Koch New Member

May 30, 2022
    Denver,Colorado
    Thank you.
    On these bikes what essential spare parts should i try to acquire as spare back up's ?

7. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Well, as I have just found out, coil sticks are not available from Triumph any more. So if you find any buy 'em.

8. Anthony Koch

Anthony Koch New Member

May 30, 2022
    Denver,Colorado
    What thermostats are being used as an alternate for the orginal ones on these bikes ?

9. Anthony Koch

Anthony Koch New Member

May 30, 2022
    Denver,Colorado
    Must be a secret :D

10. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
  11. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Hi mate, I have a 2003 955 Tiger, probably very similar to yours.
    In answer to your questions.
    Any decent 10w 40 4T semi or fully synthetic oil should be fine. You can pay for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge if you want. I use Rock Oil and it’s fine.
    Bulbs - Some have done LED but I’m not convinced by them. HID might be better as they heat up the gas inside the bulb unit rather than the air inside the reflector.
    Instrument panel bulbs can be replaced with LED. These apparently are plug and play,
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15324775...ia2zr7iqwa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY I’m sure you can get similar in the US or Europe.
    Good upgrades - Ricks Electrics Stator and Shindegen FH020AA mosfet regulator. A lot more reliable. There’s a link lead you can get from Triumph for the Street Triple which has the same plugs for the stator and from the outlet on the regulator to make it plug and play too. Hope that helps.

12. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Hi mate, I have a 2003 955 Tiger, probably very similar to yours.
    In answer to your questions.
    Any decent 10w 40 4T semi or fully synthetic oil should be fine. You can pay for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge if you want. I use Rock Oil and it’s fine.
    Bulbs - Some have done LED but I’m not convinced by them. HID might be better as they heat up the gas inside the bulb unit rather than the air inside the reflector.
    Instrument panel bulbs can be replaced with LED. These apparently are plug and play,
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15324775...ia2zr7iqwa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY I’m sure you can get similar in the US or Europe.
    Good upgrades - Ricks Electrics Stator and Shindegen FH020AA mosfet regulator. A lot more reliable. There’s a link lead you can get from Triumph for the Street Triple which has the same plugs for the stator and from the outlet on the regulator to make it plug and play too. Hope that helps.