Hello - 2001 Speed Triple Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Gordon MacBean, Nov 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gordon MacBean

Gordon MacBean Active Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    I am impatient after all. Got them pressed in easily enough and then greased up, seals in and sleeve in. All fitted and smooth as butter! And the bolt is on the exhaust side now! So that is a win for me!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Sadly socket set is for a different swingarm. Mine is a 2001 bike, so larger nuts! Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I've ordered a set from Amazon that are supposed to be the correct fitting ones, so time will tell. So close and so far!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GU 955i

GU 955i Member

Apr 16, 2022
    UK
    Great thread. Very impressed with your ability and attention to detail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    It is not so much an attention to details but that these things are getting my attention because they really have to be done! And I've got the time and energy to do them. It gives me a much needed change of pace and focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    The swingarm sockets arrived today! Weather was good, so I decided to give it a go as it is also my day off. Outer nut on the way out.

[​IMG]
    Inner nut coming out...
    [​IMG]
    Out it is!
    [​IMG]
    Old swingarm
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Spindle needs a rubdown, clean and grease!
    [​IMG]

Hole waiting for swingarm. Chain looped out of the way.
    [​IMG]
    New swingarm in. Spindle, brake and hub back on.
    [​IMG]

Rear wheel back on. Needs to be torqued up. Lovely new seals, bearings and grease grease grease!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    BTW, does anyone know where you can buy T2200039 exhaust gaskets? They are silly money via eBay in Italy and that is just not feasible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    The old sleeve from the swingarm is shifting! I will be able to clean up the swingarm and droplinks and have a spare set ready to go. Nice that I also have a decent draglink as well now. Full set of bearings ready to press in as well.

I used a touch of exhaust paste to quieten the header leak. Just needs a little bit more and it is sorted for now. Easy to remove when I do the studs/nuts in winter project time.

Washed and polished (car too).
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Managed to buy exhaust gaskets for the bike!! They are rather rare and the other source was Italy, with huge markup and extortionate shipping fees and taxes to pay. Would work out at £40+ per gasket. I got all three for £25 delivered. Still expensive (they were £6.99 when Triumph stocked them).

Also got new studs and nuts, so need to get an extractor to the old studs out. Will loosen the radiator, so I have enough space to do the work.... But not yet! Might keep this as a winter job.

When riding home this day, I managed to be rather "un Vicarly" and had the front wheel floating up under hard revs... Sorting the suspension at the rear has given the bike a much better feel and response.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    The gaskets, studs and nuts are here. Now I need to decide whether I pay someone to do this bit or get an extractor to remove the studs.... decision time!

11. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    So that is why the exhaust is blowing!? the other studs are also equally corroded and nuts are almost gone. Far left is more or less okay, but the others are finished. I have studs and gaskets and nuts, but do I have the nuts to do the job?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. GU 955i

GU 955i Member

Apr 16, 2022
    UK
    You'll sort it, the bike is lucky to have you!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Seems like ages since I last posted. But I have today taken off the exhaust after removing the two nuts that were holding on the whole exhaust! Two studs removed so far and I will work my way through the rest of them. I have a good tool, but it requires a 32mm spanner to loosen it after getting the stud out. I don't have one! At least I've made a start though. I've got the new studs, the new gaskets and will get the bike MOT'd, taxed and insured by end of May! That is my target, so I can enjoy some good weather riding etc...

15. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Got the stud out of the tool (pipe wrench to the rescue). Have bought a mini blowtorch thing so that I can heat up the remaining studs after having sprayed them again. Have to drain radiator and remove it I think.

16. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Studs remaining to remove.

Exhaust Studs in head.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]

Progress. 5 out and one recaltricant stud remaining

[​IMG]

The solution!! Hammer time and wind it out!!

[​IMG]

All out and gaskets removed as well.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    I am going to fit new copper exhaust gaskets (rocking horse poo to find but I have a full set). And I have new studs and nuts. Copper slip anyone!

Also going to rewire the indicators with the below connectors, waterproof and with heat shrink added. Will solder them up neatly.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Exhaust wiped down. Engine case painted with high temp paint, will fit studs and think about putting exhaust back on. Need to do indicator wiring and new throttle cable, so will take the tank off and run new cable and redo indicator connections. Will take a little while, but will be worth the time.

Replacement fan for the radiator is coming, cost me £24 delivered. The old one is rather crusty and rusty.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Studs and gaskets in and exhaust back on!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3