Hello - 2001 Speed Triple Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Gordon MacBean, Nov 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gordon MacBean

Gordon MacBean Active Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Found a swingarm with good bearings and draglink for £48 delivered. that makes it a lot easier. And I can now put the -1 sprocket on anyhow, so it will come together in the end. Just a case of when now!! I have plenty of "work" on at the moment, so it can wait until the sky is clear, the days are warmer and I have a holiday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Rear subframe is swapped out and the better one is now installed. I think I will have to take the bike to the mechanic to get the swingarm sorted as I cannot get certain parts off to swap out the bearings etc... just the issue of age and corrosion. New swing arm is in excellent condition and bearings are very good, so that is a winning bid. Must grease up the other bits and get things ready to swap over. I have a full set of bearings I will shelve for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is from the better swingarm. I am able to get the bearings nicely greased up and the the sleeve polished up nicely as well. However the threaded bar is not shifting from the sleeve! I need a vice to hold it in place while I remove threaded bar! One thing at a time I think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Gaffer tape on the sleeve, it grips, threaded bar out! I just need to swap out the swing arm now. I need a frame to hang the rear subframe from Or work out how to use the Abba stand with footpeg bits and use them. that may be easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up and grease packed back into the roller bearings. I've slid the sleeves in and out to ensure it is well packed in and moving smoothly on all bearings. This should last at least a year!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Once I get the "old" swing arm off, I will try and refurbish that drag link and take it from there. I'll also repack the swingarm hub etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Great post @Gordon MacBean; keep us posted! I'll be interested to see how you get the bike supported for doing the swing arm. I have had the exact same conundrum.

I will likely just jack the bike up precariously on the centre stand bolt/drag link....enough to get a pair of axle stands under the footpegs (the non bending bit)...

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Just realised I probably need special sockets for doing the swingarm bolt removal! That will slow me down a bit. I best look for some second hand ones and see what I can do, unless the 2001 model is different?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    1/2 inch 24" Draper Breaker Bar with the 46mm socket has done the job of loosening the nut! Used a bungee strap to lock rear brake, held front brake and slowly applied pressure. Crack and the nut shifted. I've been able to loosen it up. So will loosen the wheel nut as well and now I can borrow some of the special spindle nuts for the swingarm bolt to be removed. Getting there and it will all be worth it, unless the rear shock has blown!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]
    Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Loosened up the rear wheel nut and the swingarm cover nut. Easy with the breaker bar. Wish I'd bought it earlier, like 20 years ago!! Still, now I can build up a good collection of sockets for this and that will make things simpler. I need to change the front socket as well, so I will give that a twirl once I've got the swingarm changed.

[​IMG]

One thing I'm in two minds about is the quality of paint on the better swingarm. The Hammerite is a bit rough. It does protect the metal and looks better than the corroded finish, but it is a bit "brushed" for my liking.... I may end up refurbishing the other swingarm, swapping it out and taking it from there... But that all depends on whether I can get it apart anyhow. One thing at a time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Abba stand connected into the footpeg holes. Removed top bolt and then away it went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes, it is steady and holding fine.

[​IMG]
    Rear caliper off and hub and drive shaft out.

[​IMG]
    Gave the hub and sprocket a quick brush and blast with cleaner. Must not lose the washer that is hiding on the hub!

Once that 46mm nut was off and brake caliper removed, it was a simple job. The swingarm is rather manky and I am glad to be putting a fresher one on, albeit it a bit "brushed paint" in appearance. The next step is to remove those funny castellated nuts.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Funny castellated nut removers are on their way!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Drag link is also completely blown. Rusted and even when I got the sleeve out (4 pound hammer and persuasion) the bearings were rusted through. £25 for one off ebay with decent bearings and sleeve, yes, bargain! So will be a bit of a longer wait, but I am happy to wait for the right parts to get this right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    The draglink sleeve with rusted bearing outers. How to get these out and then drift in the new ones so I can have a back up drag link for annual servicing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Bought one of those! Great minds etc...

Got it out.

[​IMG]
    Other side
    [​IMG]
    Out they are

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]

Start cleaning it up. Will be a spare set.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Just goes to show that you really do need to do the annual strip and grease maintenance or it will come to bite you very hard indeed! Everyone likes playing with grease and spanners right??

• Agree Agree x 1