Hello - 2001 Speed Triple Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Gordon MacBean, Nov 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gordon MacBean

Gordon MacBean Active Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Quick update. Done short blats on the dual carriage way. It runs fine, needs a new clutch cable for sure! Very notchy and rough, can see the fraying edges.

The rear hub was greased when the pads/discs were changed 1000 miles ago, so that is very good news. The engine oil was changed with filter in August... Very dark though. I may just drop oil and give it a fresh lot for my peace of mind. New filter as well.

Light, easy to ride, may change pads for SBS ones for a touch more bite, but these ones are okay as they are, but not as progressive as I like. They need a fair bit of pressure to get a good stopping power.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Bought a custom length C Spanner, Headstock socket, new seat pads front and rear and bar risers (not pictured!). And the full Triumph Workshop Manual! Well worth having these bits and will make life a lot easier in maintenance going forward.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Aesthetically this is my favorite Speed Triple (and I have a 2020 RS). I wanted a Nuclear Red Speedy since the first one t saw in 2001 but the stars never aligned.

Congratulations and welcome aboard!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    I've put together a short list of things to be done.

Short term:

Brake Fluids front and rear - Front Done

Replace Brake and clutch levers - Done

Fuses check - change 10A for 30A fuse - Done

Replace Instrument Cluster back box - Done

New engine bolts - stainless steel - Started

Speedo Cable - Waiting for Delivery

Clutch Cable – Waiting to change

LED Bulbs for Headlights - Done

LED Bulbs for Instrument Gauges – Waiting for 286 bulbs

Oil and Filter Change – Waiting to change

Fit Bar Risers – Waiting for Delivery of longer M10 Allan key bolts

Replace Indicators – Waiting for Delivery

Replace Brake reservoir – Waiting for Delivery

Fit Fork Guards – Waiting for Delivery

Fit Spark plugs - Waiting to change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Forks guards now done. Cheap fix off Ebay, £10.

[​IMG]
    LED bulbs are working nicely. Much clearer than before.
    [​IMG]

Have also used TuneEcu (I used to use the Windows version years ago on my Sprint RS) and cleared all error codes, reset TPS and run all tests. Bike is starting on the button and running more smoothly. Warms up quickly enough and it is getting there nicely.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    [​IMG]
    Fuse ratings for my Speed Triple. Just putting it here so that others can find it quickly and easily.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Bar risers fitted. New brake lines on order, going for the single line to each caliper setup, just easier to bleed as well. I had a new brake reservoir on order via Ebay, but Hermes have managed to lose the order, not the first time they have done this, so I've lost a good purchase. At least the seller has refunded the money. Have a nice big 46mm spanner for rear wheel nut. Just need to sort out fitting indicators with bullet connections to the Triumph connections. Will cut and solder the connectors I think, heat shrink etc... Will look neater and just work. But that is work for another warmer day!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I'll be eager to hear how you get on with that 46mm nut...

I can't get one off...so all hints and tips eagerly awaited!

What brake fluid reservoir you going to get (eventually) or just a replacement?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    I'll see how that nut shifts. The spanner is huge, so may well have enough leverage. I'm also a fairly large man at 6ft5 and 19.5 stone in weight, so I can be persuasive....
    Looking to get a normal Triumph reservoir as replacement if I have to. Will see how new brake lines go first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Cool, thanks.

I updated all the brake lines too...

Have been considering a metal reservoir....

Good luck, enjoy your steed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Fuel Connectors in the tank are the old plastic ones. One has gone "crack".

So I have ordered the Viton ones from Tom Parkers. References below. EX VAT and Delivery which is £8.95 per order.

cLCD100040V CPC PIPE THREAD - VALVED - MALE THREAD (THREAD SIZE: 1/4" BSPT - FUEL LINE BODY) £21.53 EACH

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    You sound far more technically proficient than me, but a heads-up on those fuel connectors, just in case.. which I also got and are great...

The seal is not created by tightening the connectors 'home', that will damage the seal. The tightening comes from using ptfe tape and using that to give a fuel tight fixing, but not bottoming out the thread, if that makes sense.

So, plenty of PTFE, and thread about half way in.

I was told this directly by Tom P...after ruining a pair of connectors : unamused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Thanks for that tip. I also have threadlocker which is a sealant in itself, but have lots of PTFE tape laying around (just need to find it).

Always glad to have a voice of experience giving advice and real life information.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    New Clutch line now fitted, the old frayed one is out and "in the bin" to quote Marty from MightyCarMods YouTube fame! Actually, quite a few bits have ended up "in the bin"! But it is worth it in the long run to have a bike with nice components fitted that just work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    New fuel quick release connectors here. Have to get the broken one out now somehow. It is fragmenting. Fortunately I have a tapping set, so may be able to chase it out bit by bit. Patience is the game for this one. Fuel filter will be here in a few days as well. I've got the fuel flange rubber filter arriving later on as well as the old one was a mess. Must be the original one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    ...could you take a few photos of getting to the fuel filter, replacing, and what bits may need replacing at the same time? It's on my list to do...and "real" photos and description of the process is always better than any manual!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    Will do. Just waiting for the bits to arrive. I've done the quick release connectors now. PTFE tape was a better idea than locktite.

Broken on is on the left.
    [​IMG]
    Metal fuel connections. Yay!
    [​IMG]
    Got the bits out and had to clean out the broken bits with a tap and die set.
    [​IMG]
    The debris removed from the thread.
    [​IMG]
    New connectors. Yes one is facing the opposite way. it is the one with longer cable and so easier to release it from that angle.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gordon MacBean

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    I will chronicle the fuel filter change and the new fuel plate gasket install. All straight forward to do to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I plan to do a fuel filter change on my 1998 T595 but don't know whether to replace the short hoses too.

Are you just replacing the fuel filter canister?

• Agree Agree x 1