Heated Grips V’s Heated Inner Gloves?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MikeyBobBlack, Feb 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    I’ve got the New Bobber Black on order and still have some time to add to the spec list of needs be.

I’ve never had heated grips before and because I only ever tend to ride when the weather is lovely, (twice per year then :p) I’ve never really thought of them as necessary.

Today I went for a couple of hours ride, (early for me) in some summer gloves and when I stopped for fuel I realised my hands were seriously fooking cold.

So to avoid a repeat experience figured either heated grips or heated inner gloves would be worth the investment...or possibly both!

What’s people’s experience of both of the options. Keeping in mind I never ride in the winter months... are they really worth having?

Cheers,

Mike.

2. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Oven gloves :joy:

I bet they work great but I reckon I’ll get beaten up if cought sporting them on a new Bobber o_O

To be fair I don’t ever intend to use it during the winter. It’s just for summer day ride outs so I don’t need to rely on it for commuting in all weathers etc.

But I wondered if adding heated grips to the spec of the bike on order is worth it for the fair weather day riding I have planned. Maybe it would just be nice for those chilly evening ride home moments?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    heated grips work on your palm, your fingertips still get fookin cold and your finger soon stop working. DD's suggestion is good, did the same years ago on my CB750, proper one, SOHC,lol. Trouble is you got a cool lookin bike and the Karma probably aint right. If I was you I would go the heated gloves route but hey Spring aint far off. By the way it isnt always just the cold, the rain can get you kinda cold too
    I for the record have heated grips and hand guards on my old girl

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    :idea:
    That was my suspicion... that the fingers would still be freezing whilst the palms would be sweating! Think I’ll look into heated gloves instead... surely some clever bugger has worked the heating eliments into the fingers area?! :idea:

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Hey I was just lookin back over the posts , lol, SUMMER gloves, jeez you was expectin rather a lot mate. 1 fookin layer at best,mmmmmmm, ya moms marigold kitchen gloves are probably better

• Like Like x 1
  6. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’ve got heated gloves because I suffer from white fingers :tired_face:
    Had heated grips on my Fazer but even in the summer I would still get cold hands :(
    The gloves are much better :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    You need one of these in black! index.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    It was an impromptu ride out and I borrowed a friends bike and gear. Having said that my own gloves are much better but the experience just got me thinking.... should I add heated grips to the new bike?!

10. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    So..... you’re telling me to have a cheeky shot prior to setting off?! :scream: Well if that’s what it takes :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Yeah just finished watching a review of the Oxford one’s.

Can anyone confirm them to be better than the Triumph efforts?

12. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Legend!

13. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    Outlast gloves or, If like me, you don't give a f**k what other people think and want warm hands Golf winter mittens over your gloves. Not sure where you are coming from with the summer gloves in February but it's your choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Hey please don’t take my comments to heart about your mitt warmers. If I rode in the winter I’d do exactly the same... but I don’t so it would be a massive overkill for my needs. Horses for courses!

My post is simply to gauge how good heated grips are and if people think it worth adding them given my specified requirements. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    If you had read more than my first post you would understand how I come to be wearing summer gloves in Feb... it wasn’t a,”choice”... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    To DD,
    Appreciate your comments and I have to tell you how it came about. My mate who has serious grip problems with his fingers even in summer and I were talking about how to get round the problem, I jokingly said why don't you get some mittens maybe in a nice pink colour (forces humour he's ex RN I'm ex Para) then I thought I wonder if Golf winter mittens over your gloves would work? Tried them out and was amazed, 15/20 quid a spray with tent waterproof result. Very cheap solution.
    Personally I would rather have warm hands than bother about fashion! Let's face it all the younger lads are sporting 1940 ,s haircuts right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Totally get what you’re saying but like I’ve explained I have cars and bikes that come out in the summer months only. I have daily drivers/riders for the mundane commute. On the weekend toys there really isn’t a need for the great British Bake Off look :joy:;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Funnily enough I tried a pair of those style gloves on last week and thought how having your fingers together is bound to result in warmer digits!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Iv'e had triumph heated grips,£130 and once you are over 50mph you don't even know they are on,they are shite,oxfords less than £50,iv'e fitted over 10 sets in the last 2 yrs,the oxfords are hotter at 50% than the triumph one's at full on,it's a no brainer,just paid £130 to have yamaha's own on my other bike and they are shite aswell so thay are coming off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Great info cheers