Has My St1050 Been Lowered?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by craven2k3, Apr 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. craven2k3

craven2k3 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Blackpool
    Morning all,
    Before I get elbows deep in to a scenario that results in head in hands I wondered if any of you folks may be able to offer a steer.

I have an 09 1050 Sprint with a hyper pro spring and gel seat, all of which were on the bike when I bought it. Both myself and a friend think it's feel a little lower or short in terms of seat to foot peg so looking at the why this may be. Thoughts are seat has been scooped out or there is a small spring fitted. know the hyperpro spring comes in a 30mm shorter option but I can't see how I can determine which is fitted to mine without taking it off. I'm 6ft in height

Would I be right in thinking a 30mm shorter spring will drop the overall height of the backend of the bike at rest and this may be clear by measuring and comparing the the axle to tail height of another bike with standard spring fitted?

The scooping out of the seat I expect would shorten the distance from hip to foot peg and but again I'm not sure how I can check or test this. I've bought a couple of seats on eBay and they don't fit or sit right as I wasn't aware there are different seats for the different model years.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated Cheers all

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. craven2k3

craven2k3 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Blackpool
    :joy:Wow that was swift @Smilinjack - cheers.
    I think it's the std shock but pic attached if that helps might try my hand at whipping it out of the bike as I'm trying my hand with giving my Daytona a good going over so will see how I fair with that before ending up with two bikes in bits :joy:

IMG_4041.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. craven2k3

craven2k3 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Blackpool
    It leans well over on the side stand so that's encouraging . May just be the seat has been hollowed out some. Will see which one I need and keep an eye out for one on eBay.
    Will get the others I've purchased sold too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. craven2k3

craven2k3 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Blackpool
    No problem thanks @Smilinjack. Got some info to be on with there and will see what I can decipher. Great to have access to a Forum with helpful active members

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Not sure if this helps, but I had my seat scooped on my ST. Here is a picture where you may be able to compare the seat hieght/thickness?

DSCF0221.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. craven2k3

craven2k3 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Blackpool
    Cheers @Wessa. Good backdrop there too. where was that taken?

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Pyrenees mate....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Craven2k3
    Welcome to the family. Yes you have a progressive spring on there smooths the bumps out more and bike feels more planted. The seat probably someone was shorter in the leg and just needed that extra inch to get their leg down comfortably Rather than spend cash and time with seats just have your own seat reupholstered if you want it higher then use the foam from one of the seats you have bought.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2