Has Anyone Got A New Speed Twin Yet

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Pottsy, Sep 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Just trying to get some thoughts and views on the new one. Picking up mine but having some spray work done so not having it until work complete, hopefully for beginning of November

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Capone_BR

Capone_BR Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Texas
    I traded in a 2006 HD Sportster Custom for a 2022 Speed Twin this past weekend. Still new to Triumph but glad to answer any questions.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Glad to get your first impression and what colour did you go for.?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Capone_BR

Capone_BR Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Texas
    I have not personally ridden too many different bikes but here are a few impressions that jumped out at me, especially compared to the Sportster:
    - engine is torquey and I have not gone past 4000 rpm due to break in period. Looking forward to revving it out
    - it is light and easy to push around. Major difference from the Sportster that felt like it would topple over if inclined too much
    - brakes are great but squeaky. Will have it checked out at first service
    - I am ~5ft 6in (166cm) and cannot flat foot but the bike being so light I can easily incline the it and flat foot with one leg. Riding position is comfortable for me but will feel cramped for taller riders.

Let me know if you have any other questions

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

If they're anything like the earlier model brakes the squeaking goes away after a couple thousand miles or so. I'm at 3400 and one day over the past few months I just noticed it was gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Ah no just traded my speed twin in at 4300 miles and the good old squeak was still there, was hoping on the new one they would have sorted but clearly not.
    It is a Brembo issue not Triumph, my other bike is a Ccm Spitfire with full Brembo set up front and rear, and within 200 miles the rear was squeaking.
    That said it has not put me off the speed twin as I've traded the old for a new, they are a great bit of kit and great fun. Hopefully should have mine for around the middle of November after having spray job, will post some pictures when I have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#7 Golgotha, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2021
    YMMV… mine went away, and I've seen more than a couple accounts of the squeaking going away after a few months/couple thousand on the odo. The first thing I did after the brakes still squeaked at a few hundred miles is do discovery. ST's have been somewhat infamous for front brake squeak since their reintroduction. I have '19 I bought new in NOV20. Squeak was gone by mid-summer this year. I ride a bit hard though.

The only thing I can say about new bike that squeaks is give it time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I have a friend who has one on order, but he's not picking up until next Spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Sorry about the delay guys, but here are some pics, hopefully have some fun when it stops raining

20220212_101710.jpg

20220212_101516.jpg

20220212_101641.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Pottsy
    Cool bike.
    Joe

11. Zach G.

Zach G. New Member

Mar 1, 2022
    Pennsylvania, US
    #11 Zach G., Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    I got my 2022 Speed Twin in September. First bike. I've always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. I rode my brother in laws HD Iron 1200 over the summer when he wasn't using it and absolutely fell in love. I took his odometer from 400mi to 1800mi in like three weeks haha so I knew I had to get my own.

I went with black frankly because I just think it goes with more clothing and accessories. I was tempted by the matte grey, but the hi vis-like yellow accent stripe turned me off. Had that stripe been gloss black or white to match the Triumph logo, I'd probably have gone with it. I liked the red (although I have yet to see it in person), but the black fit me better.

Again, I'm new to riding, so my feedback is based on riding two bikes. But I love it. I have 2500mi on it already. I love the torque. I have a 2015 Jetta TDI and the Speed Twin reminds me of it. Quick and agile. I've gotten it to like 95 mph. I don't really care about top speed. I wanted quick and agile and that's exactly what I got. The burst to go from like 45mph to 80mph is q u i c k. Not much lag. A lot of reviews I've seen have said it's on the heavy side, but I haven't had any issues throwing the weight around through winding sections of road. The brakes squeal, but I read that's a common new bike/brembo issue. They have great stopping power. I would like the front forks to be adjustable but that's only because I would like that to be an option. The Metzeler Racetec RRs that come factory are great in dry conditions. I've ridden them wet and haven't had issues, but the tread on them doesn't exactly scream "I wick water well" haha they are damn near racing slicks. I'll probably go with Michelin Road 6s when I wear out this pair of shoes; that's the consensus I've seen in the forums.

Customizations I've done:
    -The Ducati throttle spacers are a must. Takes all the extra shake out of the throttle. Huge thank you to TheMissendenFlyer on YouTube for that.
    -I put a tail tidy on from British Customs. The OEM tail is a monstrosity of reflectors.
    -I originally put a Rizoma 57mm Spy-R end mounted mirror on, and I loved the clarity. For how small it was, you could see a lot. But they were expensive and they didn't quite fit the gap between the end of the grip to the end of the bar. So I grabbed two CRG Hindsight LS mirrors for the price of one Rizoma. I love them. They sit where the OEM mirrors sat, and they fold in.
    -Rizoma Sport billet grips, but honestly I'd just save the money and stick with the OEM grips or put that towards the heated grips.
    -I also swapped the gauges to the Arton Works ones. Another TMF recommendation. Gives it a more classic look. And I like the way the numbers are displayed vs OEM orientation.
    -Oh and I added a oil temp gauge cap thing from A&J cycles. I didn't like that it was plastic from factory, a complaint that I also share with the brake fluid reservoir, but that's minor.

Long review, I know, but I had thoughts that I felt like sharing. Hope that helps someone out there. First post, btw. I love the community Triumph has.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Congratulations on your new bike.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zach G.

Zach G. New Member

Mar 1, 2022
    Pennsylvania, US
    Many thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Welcome in Zach G
    I traded the first speed twin in for the one I have now and one difference you may have overlooked is the absence of a radiator guard on the new one, which was on the first. Bad cost save from Triumph as new rad is over £ 450.00, if you happen to have stone fly up and hit it.
    I got a motone one but later found Beuerwolf do one for about half the cost, you might want to check it out.
    Oh yes put up some picture's if you can , always good to see.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Zach G.

Zach G. New Member

Mar 1, 2022
    Pennsylvania, US
    Thanks Pottsy!

I wasn't aware they previously included a radiator guard from factory. Damn. Thanks for the heads up on the Beowulf guard. I was looking at a couple that were much more. I like the look of the Motone you have with the Union Jack. I actually just found one from Evotech on A&J Cycles that is $100USD that I like the look of. Still double the price of the Beowulf, but I would imagine after shipping to the US, it's likely close to a wash in price. I'll include the link at the bottom.

But now I'm adding that to my wish list. I've been looking at various sump guards. That's pretty high on my list.

As far as photos, I'll have to grab a couple of the customizations I've done next time I give it a proper wash. But this one is from the ride back from the dealership the day I got it.

Evotech Radiator Guard:
    https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/...nneville-t100-t120-street-twin-cup-scrambler/

IMG_2778 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zach G.

Zach G. New Member

Mar 1, 2022
    Pennsylvania, US
    Cleaned it up and actually remembered to take some photos. I ended up swapping back to factory grips since I posted last.

IMG-3377.jpg

IMG-3379.jpg

IMG-3380.jpg

IMG-3382.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Zach G.

Zach G. New Member

Mar 1, 2022
    Pennsylvania, US
    Just installed the Evotech radiator guard and engine guard. I prefer the look of the bike without the engine guard, but I like the protection it affords.

IMG-3403.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Capone_BR

Capone_BR Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Texas
    I have the same set up as you with the Evotech radiator guard and engine guard as well as the British Customs tail tidy.
    For the oil filler cap, I went with the Triumph Clear Billet Oil Filler Cap.

unnamed.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Capone_BR

Capone_BR Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Texas
    Love the Arton Works gauges!

• Like Like x 1