Speedmaster Harsh Ride-tyre Pressure?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Wishbone, Mar 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Right, fitted a set of Hagons on my Speedmaster as I managed to get the missus to get back on board and thought the OE shocks may not be up to it.

But at the softest setting there is some hard jolts coming through on some of the shiiiite surfaces we have down here on the A13/A12?

I am running 36/42 PSI on my tyres is anyone using different pressures?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    What kind of adjustment do you have?
    Pre-load?
    Compression?
    Rebound?
    Or which combination?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Pressures sound ok
    Did to tell Hagon the usage and weights as they are usually pretty good.
    Go back to stock and send the Hagons back

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Cheers Guys,
    They have got preload and rebound,
    got them off ebay; maybe previous owner felt same?

Yeah was thinking about putting old ones back on

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wishbone.
    Talk to Hagon. They will adjust or modify for you. I took a set of my Harley and they resprung and adjusted them to fit the 1200 Bonnie I had. That's the problem of buying second hand. You only have the sellers word as to how they were used or weights and style of riding.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Did you get instructions? What is the default settings? What are they set at the moment?

7. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Just 3 preload settings and 10 rebound, but I would think with both of us up setting 3 preload would be appropriate,
    but at 2 both our spines feel the jolt thinking of going to 38PSI in tyre if OE shocks dont improve the ride.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Bloody hell 36 and 42psi ....no wonder its harsh....not saying its not supposed to be that pressure but it may be worth trying reducing the rear by
    a few lbs, its not the same i know but i only run 15psi in my Avon SM...mind you its the only rear suspension i have with a hard tail.;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I would set the shocks and forks to standard then work from there. You might want to try the tires first.

10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    #10 Rocker, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019

Are they too soft and bottoming out ? I found this with mine with the settings on minimum they were bottoming out causing a really poor ride I have since set the preload to 2 and compression/rebound damping to 6 and the ride is much better

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Thanks will give it a try out have set to middle pre load and 3 clicks from minimum on rebound for single rider to try it.

12. AndyB67Explorer

AndyB67Explorer New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Wakefield Yorkshire
    It doesnt matter what setting you have if the the spring is built to take someone heavier The preload only raises the back end to keep the sag correct whilst riding and rebound determines how fast the shock recovers from being compressed. I bought an Ohlins but i found that the spring was too soft for fast riding around bends but great for absorbing bumps so went to a spring that gave more stability but was a bit harsh on bumpy roads. Plus a spring that may be great for two up riding may be hard when solo..

13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    But fast solo and steady two up maybe similar settings.
    Start off with determining what the spring is and seek their advice. An incorrect, for your use, spring rate will never be good despite what the damper settings are.