Harley Move Into 20th Century!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Jul 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#1 MrOrange, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2018
    Screenshot_20180730-191711.jpg

Only twenty years behind Triumph and Aprilia, Ducati,etc, but HARLEY enter the big naked class!!!
    Looks like it could be fun, but you know it weighs 300kg and produces 75bhp :laughing::joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20180730-193054.jpg

Mmmmmmmmm! Looks a bit like the original multistrada. It was a pig too!

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Looks OK, but that V-twin engine weighs the same as your whole bike! Aluminum alloys are new fangled tech at Hardly, that'll be solid cast pig iron block :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    They are sad.

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    ... but will it still run on coal or wood? :laughing::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I've yet to read anything good about the new Harley Streetvendor.

7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    If it was that or nothing, I'd take nothing!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2018-7-31_15-58-58.png

upload_2018-7-31_15-59-40.png

SNAP ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    USA!USA!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Now we know where HD got their inspiration from!
    Benderfuturama.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Do you know what. If Harley ever do produce that big naked, I for one will be going for a test ride, just to give it a go.

I do honestly hope they can produce a decent bike for decent money to rival a Speed triple. They need to. Can't see their business surving past the date all of their current riders shuffle off their mortoil coils. Ever seen a young guy ride a Harley? Don't see many young guys on bikes anyways, but Harley riders are even older than BMW riders. (No offence Dougie and Winglad, our 2 resisdent HD owners) Even in the US it looks the same, with a very aging demographic.

So even tho that adventure bike is a total pig, I hope they can drag themselves into this millenium and maybe they will survive. Good for all of us if they do, variety being the spice of life.

Except the HD 883 Iron, that should die, painfully die a horrible slow rusting death. Worst bike I ever rode. Fatboy was fun, in a very loud way, actually felt like a bike, not a 2 wheeled shopping trolley with the handling, brakes and looks to match.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    What would the other 2 be then?

Do I take it that you may tempted to the Harley brand?

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The main reason joe public knows Harley is because of product placement for the last 100 years from Hollywood & TV, but yes the brand is good, but the product not what is going to sell long term. They know it too, that's why they are looking at bike brands doing well - Triumph & Ducati range, I would say are the most forward looking at present, with adventure, naked and classic bikes, and presumably HD trying to get in there, before it's too late. Looks like it from these two new models being put forward.

Top three bike brands known in UK - Harley - Triumph - Honda, in that order, doubt many (non-biking) joe public could name yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki or even Ducati and no chance Aprilia !!!( (What make is it then? I get asked after telling them it's an Aprilia Tuono:joy:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Honestly why would you? Ok to some people it looks great & its f******* noisy. But it's soooo heavy & so down on power. Certainly absolutely no fun on our roads in my opinion & that's the only one that counts :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #14 Dartplayer, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Designed for big lanes on long highways, I did have a Dynaglide for a time while saving for my speedy. 1450 produces a lot of low end torque, but not a patch on my Triumph. I even looked at the military styled 1800, but was like sitting on a toy

B91B7B48-F154-468B-9585-8129EE14A480.jpeg

9955DAB1-C2FE-42E1-94EC-105F70E52BFB.jpeg

17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
  18. Dartplayer

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    We have a learners class in NZ, with bike approved (LAMS) on power, so HD have a market with street 500 to entice them to the dark side :D

5073A4CB-7217-4876-B9B4-B1C86AE5671C.png

19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Not so long ago Harley we’re making more profit from their merchandising than their bikes - a bit like food profits underpinning pubs rather than their beer!

I think the people Harley also need to look at are BMW. Time was when BMW meant boxer twin. From the mid 80s they vastly modernised the boxer while diversifying with range with multiple new engine layouts and sports bikes. The big potato potato V Twin limits Harley’s market and Indian can claim the same heritage while the Japanese make them in many more shapes and sizes.

Bluntly, you could see the development potential of ‘their style’ of big V twin hitting the buffers when Cal Rayborn was competing them and BSA/Triumph has already added a third cylinder. Watching Harley bikes, it is as if they cannot escape the speedway formula of 500 singles. It is just oddly self limiting and change is dangerously late in the day.

I also just remembered their flirtation with smaller machines through Aermacchi and how lack of investment (as I recall) saw that quickly fold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dartplayer

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Many of our Triumph dealers also have BMW dealerships and their range is attractive to daily riders who also want to do track days. Seems they are ranged on price point.