Hard Front Suspension On 1050 Speed Triple

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by sti5300, May 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sti5300

sti5300 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2020
    Swansea
    I recently changed the fork oil in my 2009 Speed Triple. I removed the forks, took off the top nut and pumped them upside down until they appeared empty then refilled. Then now seam hard despite compressing so have I overfilled them as I only measured the oil in a jug or is there an internal issue with a dirty valve or something.

2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Oil viscosity ? The air gap only takes effect as you compress the air if hard or stiff at top of stroke oil may be more viscous. To sort you could try adjustment or swapping for thinner oil. Or.. maybe your old oil was past it and this is better ? See how it feels .

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What grade of oil did you put back in? How much did you put in? There is a specific measurement that is usually taken from the top of the fork to where the oil is, sometimes it’s measured with the spring in and the fork stanchion extended, sometimes without the spring, you need to know which method it is for those forks. This is much more important than actual amounts of oil in each leg.

4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    definitely use the measurement way just to allow for any oil that got left in there

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    How did you solve this at the end?

6. sti5300

Jan 22, 2020
    Swansea
    I ended up stripping the forks and giving them a really good clean. There was loads of sludg in the bottom which I presume was causing the problem. So a thorough clean and fresh oil and happy days.

• Like Like x 3
  7. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Great, thanks for the feedback. Will prob be doing the same thing then.

8. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    Just seen this. I'll be changing the fork oil in my 2015 Striple non-R, what is the air gap you use? I assume measured with the springs removed and fork compressed?

9. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Not sure what you mean by air gap.

I have done the dump and run lately, just filled in what i poured out.
    And if you dismantle the whole thing, just follow the instructions and pour in the correct amount.

10. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Changed oil on my 2016 S, the fork moves a lot more and is slightly better, but still miles of my 2013 Speed triple in comfort and quality.

Not sure what the problem is to be honest, maybe the 2016 requires more tweaking that the old one.

11. sti5300

Jan 22, 2020
    Swansea
    Does anyone know if the internal dampers are identical or handed. On the parts diagram they have different numbers, just wondering if someone has fitted 2 the same to my bike