Guy Martin Ww1 Tank.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Nov 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Just watched Guy's new programme. Was on Sunday night on Channel 4. Well worth a watch. Built a replica of a WW1 mk4 tank. Nice mix of history, Guy doing his stuff and how it was built using modern materials and tech.
    Two hours of decent telly, rather than strictly x celebrity jungle fuck-wits pissing about. Bunch of fannies.

Go find on sky if you missed it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Got it recorded but yet to watch it :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Just watched it, spot on boy, shame it couldn’t have done the drive in Lincoln but without wooden or rubber blocks on the tracks it would have torn the road to bits, never mind the police stepping in.
    Gotta do some of that WW1 stuff in northern France and Belgium tho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Aye was a good interesting program.
    Surprised me that there was so much room inside.
    The fumes were lethal , can’t imagine what it would be like when firing a gun and the fumes from the engine.

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #5 MickEng, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    The Tank Museum in Bovington camp Dorset is well worth a visit.
    T.E. Lawrence was based there virtually up until his death whilst riding his Brough Superior near to the camp.
    So for any T.E.L. fans there are loads of interesting places to visit in and around Bovington camp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You really should do some WW1 & 2 sites Yorky, it really opened my heart when I did. To see absolute destruction in WW1 of places like Ypres and the huge toll of human life - it's it's a real game changer about our understanding of how wrong can humanity get.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The saddest thing is that death and destruction continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    We never seem to learn the lessons from the past just repeat the destruction and killing

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Done most of the stuff in Normandy and until visiting Auschwich we have never had such an emotional experience and the WW1 sites of Belgium and northern France are definitely on my “adventure before dementia” list

• Like Like x 1
  10. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Just watched the programme and will now definently do WW1 battlefields to pay my respects having been to Normandy and realised what they gave for us to live in this freedom we have.

11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    #11 H.O., Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Bovington T.M is a must visit, real tanks with real holes in them, makes you wonder how they could carry on with all that shrapnel wizzing around inside, you can actually get inside one, its a bit misleading with all the modern lighting, I can imagine it with-out.
    156.jpg
    157.jpg
    162.jpg 164.jpg
    A rifles not much good against one of them mate!!
    107.jpg
    This is the exit hole, imagine the noise, sh1t curdling!
    A really well put together museum, complete with a Brough Superior as ridden on that fateful day by TEL, although not the actual one.
    His cottage is preserved not far from the museum too so make a day of it!
    Oh, and make the camera digital, a roll camera is just no good, I took well over 100 pictures on both visits!
    The Chally tank thats been sectioned is something else too, and near by is an absolutely superb model in a glass case!.
    GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Saw it too. Most build credit is due to JCB and The Norfolk Tank Museum but Guy is an engaging front man. Having watched Yankee M109s tracks rip up German cobbles I have some sympathy for Lincoln. Rubber track pads come off for combat and act like sledges in snow.
    I have done a few battlefield tours in the line of professional education and am consistently disappointed at how little understood WWI is and the ‘lions led by donkeys’ myths propagated from the 1960s onwards. In the 20s it was viewed as an appalling but necessary war that wrought huge social change from the role of women to the demise of the aristocracy; many heirs were wiped out.
    I might be tempted to bore folk rigid on a tour! Be careful what you organise!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Typical of this country, not to allow permission for it to end in England, this FREE country has gone to the dogs and will never be great again!

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I didn’t buy the health and safety angle but bare steel tracks and a nudge, never mind a neutral turn, will rip up a paved surface. A thick layer of sand might have provided a slip plane but loads of work to lay and clean up. At Cambrai you could see the tracks from the adjacent unmentioned trial run in the field!

15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    It is interesting to watch the tanks practicing at Bovington and also at Catterick (North Yorks)
    The speed and manoeuvre ability is amazing.