Grumpy Would-be Bike Buyer!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyb57, Mar 12, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I am not going to name the shop at this stage so that's why I'm posting here, just peeved about their lack of interest!

On Wednesday I spotted a new ad for a Triumph Bonnie. There were no pics and only sketchy details so I phoned them to say I am interested and could I see some pics and details please; I was told somebody who was out that day would email me. I also submitted a part ex. inquiry for my Daytona via their website.

I rang again yesterday to repeat my request, and also sent another online request for photos etc. I've had absolutely no response, and no more details have been put online, so maybe somebody has walked in to buy it, or they don't fancy my Daytona and don't want to tell me, or they just can't be bothered talking to buyers. Seems a very odd attitude though, and I would now think very hard about buying anything from them - trying to get an after sales problem sorted could be very frustrating.

Minor rant over. Thanks for the air time :D

• Like Like x 5
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Andy57
    Yes i have had similar myself. Think when a dealer sells or has another interested party they just don't care enough to let other genuine buyers know. Their loss.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

So far I've never met someone working a dealer floor that I liked, in any dept.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    The other possibility I guess is that I would stretch the boundaries of their 'delivery anywhere' claim :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    They should still be able to talk to you, even to say “no thanks”

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    This. I can't stand it when you're ignored in the hope you'll vanish rather than being worth a quick conversation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Unfortunately at the moment it seems bikes are following cars, it's a sellers market. On a car forum I frequent there are reports of dealers selling second hand cars at above new retail price, one member had placed a £500 deposit on a car only to find it out being test driven and bought by someone else. My local car dealer that I bought from 2 years ago has contacted me offering to buy back for cash, they can't get product to sell and know buyers are clambering for whatever they can get. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Took my youngest car shopping in the fall of last year, Several dealers - only one or two models in the showrooms. She was at the end of her three year lease. She ended up buying her lease car instead of buying new. But guess what? Because she was working from home due to the COVID lockdown for over eighteen months, the car had such low mileage that it increased its value and she ended up paying more for it had it been at or near the mileage cap on the lease. Can't win!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Sooooo....... I've now had a more positive experience with the shop. They replied to one of my calls, apparently they had just discovered that any enquiries using the form on their website were disappearing into the ether.
    Doesn't explain why my earlier calls via the old feller manning the phones the week I called weren't picked up, but I had a detailed conversation with his son and he's sent plenty of high quality photos and videos. They've come up with a decent p/ex offer on my Daytona and they are asking a reasonable price for their bike.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    That's good @andyb57 - hopefully they'll address their web enquiries issue now and maybe tighten up their follow - up process on phone calls. Take it you're going to go for the Bonnie if you like it when you see it?