Groeten Uit België

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Ludodg, Aug 4, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ludodg

Ludodg New Member

Hello all.
    I’m Ludo, Flemish and living in the region of Brussels.
    I speak Flemish (duh), which is 99% comparable to Dutch, but also fluent in French and do get around in English too.

In my younger times I drove a 125cc Vespa but always dreamed of owning a motorbike.
    In 2009 my SO, or should I say not-so-SO, left me and my boys. That wwas the moment I decided it was time to improve my me-time.
    I allready had a motorbike-licence, but took lessons anyway, to learn to drive a motorbike the correct way from the start.
    My first bike was a gentle Honda Deauville, which brought me to many places. I also started motorbike-camping: the bike, some stuff in the paniers (a Deauville has integrated side bags), a tent on the back, … and off I went, wherever the wind pushed me, during my hollidays (when not having the boys around, to flee the so empty house).
    A couple of years later I made a 10-day-trip through Marokko, the desert, on a Suzuki Drz400.
    I also had taken several offroad- and trial-courses to prepare and improve my offroad-skills.

That bike was sold after that voyage. And shortly after, my Deau was replaced by a Tiger 800 in 2011.
    i made an offroad-trip trough the Pyrenees with the Tiger … which was a bit too much for the Tiger. Luckely I had prepared her beforehand but she had some damage anyway, which was repaired.
    All that offroad-driving sure left some marks on the Tiger.

and a month ago I decided to a switch.
    The dealer took over my beaten-up 2011 Tiger and I signed for a brand neww Tiger 900 GT Pro.

I had her equiped with “roll-bars” and the necessary racks for my side-boxes and the top-box, … but no longer the steel motor-protection on the bottom. I surely will not hesitate to drive through some offroad-roads or -paths, … but do no longer plan on taking on heavy offroad-challenges.

5 days now … and 650km on the ….display (wanted to write “clock” or “dials”).

My findings so far:
    A completely different engine!
    The 800 had the typical 3 cilinder-feeling: some bottom-power but also still a bit racy…
    The new 900 almost drives like a 2cilinder-bike!?!.
    Very smooth on the low revs … which is fantastic for offroading … but still some grunt when you open the throttle, like a bear waking up.
    … a tiny bear, that is, for the moment because the automatic system on the bike keeps me in the low revs for those first 1000km.

I like the many information on the display … but too much is too much. I think I’ll quickly retune the configuration and de-select a lot of those screens that one barely ever really needs.
    Also, the bluetooth-functionality does not really function smooth and on the dot.
    I tested the satnav-function via my phone … but experienced too much delay between the spoken instructions and the moment I had the turn, 10 meters ago…

I’ll be looking into a solution for mounting my trusted Tomtom drive satnav above the tft-display.

so far, so good … looking forward to the comming kilometers ….

and oh yeah, little detail.
    One of the arguments for buying the new bike now was to be fully prepared for next summer when I plan on doing one of the items on my bucket-list: visit Scotland on the Tiger!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
  3. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings Ludodg from Lincolnshire. Brilliant introduction. Enjoy your Tiger, and the forum too.

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hallo Ludodg :cool:

5. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome - only 350km until the big bear wakes up!!

6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Ludo and welcome to the forum :cool: good introduction, your English is easy to understand :p

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome......