Got Me A New Toy .......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Oct 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looking good mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Good work MrO, I bet those guys that finished 2nd this year will be on suicide watch when they find out you kicked their arses with the brakes jammed on :eek::p:cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    This is a great thread, Im enjoying this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I actually laughed out loud at that, thanks pal :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

As you asked to live vicariously through my mis-adventures, I am only happy to provide the content.

(Don't tell anyone else, but I post this stuff up specially for you :kissing_heart:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I actually think it looks pretty smart at that ride height.
    Make it 4wd and it would be a right tool for the AWDC comp safari's.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

(I knew it!)

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

A FB friend of mine, lives in Costa Rica, he does 'proper' stage rallies in his R50 (2001-2006) Cooper. He's about to build AWD Mini, using Subaru running gear! This is it in current spec.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2019-1-3_17-56-25.png

• Like Like x 3
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

He's just informed me he's spent 30,000 dollars on building and running that car !!!

That's why I'm just playing at it, navigational rallies and autotesting, etc.
    No way can I afford to do stage rallies. Be about £1500 (tyres, enterance fee, fuel, support) just for a days rally, and your lucky to get much over an hour worth of competitive driving.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #90 Eldon, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Yes Mr O the costs soon add up.
    A £1000 a weekend was easily possible and wasn't unheard of back in the 90's! I used to do some comp safaris with a friend in an old Range Rover, we were forever breaking diffs and bang ourselves about but it was good fun. On one event we pushed it too hard into a left hander, drifted wide then straightened up when a jump was inevitable, picture "Dukes of Hazzard style" :dizzy: o_O:worried:, down one level at a quarry site about a 10 foot drop. The landing wasn't the best but at least we stayed sunny side up. When we pulled up all laughing and giggling at our luck, the smiles soon disappeared :(when we saw the wing to door gaps tapering massively and noticed the doors had moved somewhat!!!!

That was an epic bit of chassis straightening over a few nights I can tell you but at least the cage wasn't bent and we managed it :p:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Mate all racing, is mental in the cost of a weekend, bikes club racing 500 on two sets of tyres 50 on bike fuel 100 on entry fees for a few races..
    That’s without any damage

Fucking lucky we all love what we do:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Autotest - £10 each driver & £10 fuel, 6 runs, takes about 5 hrs

12 Cars Rallies - £10 for 2 & £20 fuel - 2hrs driving and free sandwiches after in the pub:p

Targa Rallies - £100 & £40 fuel (estimate), full day event.

This is as cheap as Motorsport gets, that's why I can afford it. :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes Mr O when other commitments dictate then something has to give.
    That's one of the reasons why I now ride Trials instead of Enduro ..... oh plus the bodies knackered especially the knees.
    Trials club annual membership £10
    ACU annual licence £10
    Event £15
    Fuel £5 day
    Tyre ..... err pair every year £150

• Like Like x 3
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Toyed with the idea of doing enduro's. Went along to one and realised I was way out of my depth :p, so I'll just play up the woods on the KTM. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

When they read the results out after a 12 car, me n' Grace are all polite and give little rounds of applause as the results are given, then when we've won we are all modest grins. :blush:

As we get out of the pub, the pair of us are punching the air and whooping !!! :p

I'm ridiculously competitive, just can't help myself. :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

We only won 4 of the 6 events! :blush:

Wasn't bloody happy about the other 2 :mad:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    All motorsport is expensive. Another friend of mine used to grass track a classic mini. That gets very competitive to the point where inner wings etc. are all trimmed out save weight.
    I went along to support him and loved the top class, "open" I think it was called. Basically anything allowed and dominated by rear bike engined go carts. There was a placid retired old guy that I got talking to as his car was his life and pride and joy.
    He put his helmet on and wow, this mild mannered pensioner suddenly became Lewis Hamilton
    He could certainly drive!

• Like Like x 3
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#96 MrOrange, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2019
    As recommended by someone on here at some point in time, but can't be arsed to find it, so thanks @...................., it is a bloody good buy.:p:cool:

Geekam, £34.90 on Amazon, 32Gb card at £5.05, so under £40 for a cracin wee bit of kit.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  20. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    And so... do you notice the difference in the Mini then?

21. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Yeah, much better without the handbrake on. As I'm on the long straight on the video, i'm doing about 80 (on the speedo), and she's cruising along nicely. Always felt like she was dragging her arse, not now tho:D

Plus my pathetic handbrake turn at the end, both rear wheels were locked. Couldn't give it the full beans, it was a junction and I was trying to see if anyone else was around. I'll do better next time:p

Brakes need bled now, don't they always :tired_face:

• Like Like x 3
  22. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The reviews are saying about 1.5 hrs on a battery, which is plenty, plus you get 2 batteries with it. Get 2 'helmet' sticker bases, a wee tripod and a handlebar clamp, plus a remote control! Which actually works!

The wi-fi doesn't seem the best, tried to connect to the app on my phone but not behaving itself. Not that that's a deal breaker for me, can't see me needing that. When filming it will be on the KTM or the Mini, so won't be playing with my phone. Will try again, once I've learned how to do everything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  23. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

• Like Like x 1