Got Me A New Toy .......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Oct 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Nope, rumour has it the reg's are going the other way on Targa's. From next year hydraulic are going to be allowed, but until this is confirmed and full details, I am not going to spend a load of time developing a set-up.

As it's separate lines to rear calipers, I need a twin m/c set-up. So that will need a bit of time and effort, if you have to use the original lever and pivot ( as per current reg's) or maybe a separate device ???

This simple solution for an extension will do until then, and maybe not need a hydraulic set-up. The drift boys use extended levers.

2. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Will you be fabricating a 'fly off' mechanism for it? (one where you have to press the handbrake releaqse to make it actually stay on rather than vise-versa).

Makes autotesting and stage rallying much easier.

3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Already pinned the 'button' down. Pushed in, drilled a 2mm hole all the way through, then inserted bit of wire. Holds it in nicely, and come MOT time, just pull it out and works as required.

• Like Like x 3
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#304 MrOrange, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2019
    Screenshot_20191004-215958.png I ordered a pair of Mikalor clamps off of eBay yesterday afternoon, arrived this afternoon !!!! :p
    All the way from Lincolnshire to Scotland in under 24 hrs :eek:

• Like Like x 5
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20191005-175406.png
    Got it welded up (I've run out of gas), works well, but real test is next Sunday at a Tar Test. :p

• Like Like x 6
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Tar Test today, well actually it was on concrete and gravel, but still involves handbrake turns around cones, so we call this a tar test, as opposed to Grass test. I'm still a bit crap at these, only done 2 before, but I need to get better as there is always this type of test on a Targa rally, so improving my skills is required really. Plus a test of my handbrake extension, which worked a treat, and new set of winter tyres tested on the front (£50 for 4 alloys and 'as new' winter tyres) and the rears were some almost bald tyres I had at 40 psi, helped loads with the handbrake doughnut'ing.

[​IMG]

This is the 'route map' you are given and you get 1/2 hour to wander around the cones to learn the route. Looks impossible, but actually you do learn quite quickly where your going. Quite pleased I didn't get a WD (wrong direction) all day, so that is an improvement. Plus I only hit 2 cones on all 6 of the runs.

[​IMG]

Every run I managed to get something wrong, usually not able to get it in reverse, until I did my last run. So I was averaging 2:15 per run, until the last run where it all went right and I got a 2 Minute dead. You'll see on the video where I couldn't get reverse and then stalled it.:expressionless:

Managed to get 8th out of 12 runners, so was pleased with the final result. Plus I got 9 points towards overall championship, for coming 2nd in class.:cool:

upload_2019-10-13_17-5-12.png

• Like Like x 7
  7. Uncorrugated

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Looks like a lot of fun and I reckon you'll be flying round once you get the feel of that new handbrake.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Last autotest of the year, a tar test and my first class win of the year !!!

upload_2019-10-27_19-49-22.png

But unfortunately I came last and the only reason I got a class win, was I was the only Class 2 car competing !!!
    :p:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I really am a bit shit at tar test, especially on a sealed grippy surface (concrete this event, was a military range and all the roads are concrete, guess for the tanks and other heavy stuff). Last time out on loose/dirty surface I did a lot better. Plus the mini is a fecker to get in reverse, so that messed up a few of my runs. All good practice towards our Targa rally at the same site in December.

IMG_20191027_124640.jpg

But, on the upside, I took 10 points towards the the overall club championship and am now sat in 3rd place overall and looking like I should retain this for the end of the season:D

• Like Like x 8
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

IMG_20191120_214122.jpg
    Oooops :blush:

Out on a 12 Car Navigation Rally tonight and had a wee 'off'. Very slippy left turn, wasn't going to make it, so grabbed some handbrake and went totally sideways:laughing:
    Slid into a banking, sign post into the mirror ( see dent at front of the door) but as I pulled away the sign post went down the side, scuffs and trashed the door handle:joy:

Will give it a wash tomorrow and see extent of damage.

Good job it's a gpos, just another battlescar:cool:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You know you can into trouble for abuse of little things ;);)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    No off's mean not trying hard enough mate! :p
    So nice to see you're trying Ron! :eek::scream:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    One could argue that he is very trying ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

FB_IMG_1575152901660.jpg
    Off for a wee play tomorrow. Our club's first ever Targa Rally, should be a good day out.

Solway Coast is one of two stage rallies we run every year, but this year numbers were just too low, so it got cancelled. Big box of trophies need giving away, so we're having a Targa. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Uncorrugated

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Have a great day Mr Orange.

Good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Nice motor Mr O have a great time and enjoy, DA Auto's know them wel.l

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#316 Cyborgbot, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019
    Nah, they’ve reintroduced it - especially encouraging the less bright spectators to the ‘standing on the outside of a hairpin bend directly after a high speed straight, on gravel, in the wet and fog’ sections of the track.

Apparently the world’s population needs some pruning so the Authorities have a plan to remove the useless 30%...

It will be like playing Skittles - only a bit messier and with slightly more screaming.

Edit: At night!

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck mate...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#318 MrOrange, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019
    IMG_20191201_094943.jpg IMG_20191201_142230.jpg
    IMG_20191201_150534.jpg

Screenshot_20191201-153535.jpg

Successful days rallying, no trophy :confused:, but we beat a few cars in higher class than us (1-4). At lunch we were 3rd in class and 7th overall, but slipped down in the afternoon. 3rd in class has being doing the the proper Solway stage rally for last 15 years, so to finish less than a minute down on him, is alright.
    Finished in 9th of 20 crews and 4th in class in only our second Targa Rally is OK.
    I made a couple of mistakes, but even then I doubt we would have made up the time to catch 3rd:confused:
    Day started at -3.5°, and no heater in the car!!!:p Had two greenhouse heaters in the car overnight to keep the ice off the inside of the windows, but it was bloody cold in the car today. Got one last navigation rally on the 11th, then I'll look at sorting it out over Xmas holiday.
    My handbrake skills are steadily improving and second last stage as was like that Ken Block fella :p, as sliding around giving it opposite lock and all the time going forward, even my teenage daughter was impressed! :eek:
    No video, not allowed in MOD property.

Best bit is spending all day with Grace and having an absolute ball and laughing our socks off. :cool:

• Like Like x 6
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

What I have learnt, is fit your winter tyres in winter :p

Was told it was mostly concrete, but there was loads of loose stuff. Thought about swapping last night, bloody wish I had.
    Hindsights good isn't it:laughing:

• Like Like x 4
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

FB_IMG_1575237570823.jpg
    Just to prove that an MX-5 is definitely a hairdresser's car !!!
    :p:laughing::joy:

@Dozers Dad

• Funny Funny x 5