Got Me A New Toy .......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Oct 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20190922-123553.png
    6 down, 10 to go. We're doing ok for our first shot. Stage 3 & 5 were in the forest gravel / mud :p, feckin right laugh :p:p:p

• Like Like x 5
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Drew is my pal, he's the one that's been talking me into it. He's been at it for 15 years, so knows where to go. Stages are identical to last year's, so but of an advantage to regulars.

Just set 4th fastest time through the gravel stage !!! :p

We was flying, literally:cool:

• Like Like x 4
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20190922-165216.png
    We're well chuffed with 17th overall and 12th in class. Was hoping to not be last. :p

Our last runs through were easily our quickest, so made good progress. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#284 MrOrange, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2019

Nothing happens after the end of the stage, just us talking as we go up the road. I could edit, but can't be arsed learning how !!!!:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Again, stop at the end of the section, unless you enjoy' DD's boring dutch guy talk about .... can't rember now:laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

This was a difficult one, until it was learnt. 4;16 first run, 3;06 this run and then a 2;47 for our final run. Didn't get that one, battery was flat:confused:

• Like Like x 3
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Miata's are great on the tar/concrete. They come as standard with an LSD ( Limited Slip Differential), so you can get the tail out and still get good drive. Not so good on the mud/gravel, but they are certainly entertaining to watch and to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

No, not all, but as it was 'standard' on some, therefore any Miata can run one as standard!!!
    As no mini came with an LSD, they can never be standard, so therefore I can't run one. BMW compacts also benefit from this rule, I believe, so they are also popular on the Targa Rallies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    You could bugger up the spider gears or shim them tight for a little locking effect.

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

IMG_20190922_080014.jpg IMG_20190922_151233.jpg
    Looks silly, but it does help. The way we navigate, go left of cone, not going left after the cone, sometimes I do have to look to remind myself :laughing:
    IMG_20190922_182247.jpg IMG_20190922_151248.jpg IMG_20190922_151142.jpg
    One for DD. This one is definitely not for a hairdresser
    IMG_20190922_151641.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I'm trying to improve your image !!! o_O
    And you give me a face-palm ??? :confounded:

:p:cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2019-9-29_18-15-28.png

One from today's grass test.

• Like Like x 6
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

So yesterday's Grass Autotest was a great success, but also a bit of a failure.

Did first three single runs and ended up 5th fastest overall with less than a second to 4th place.
    It was cut short because the wet weather and soft ground was just tearing up something rotten, and the land owner was on site with us.
    Went out for our fourth run (a double loop) and managed to lose 9 seconds to my nearest competition and drop from 5th to 8th place :mad:
    Forgot all my aggression and tried to drive fast and smooth, which just turned out to be slow:confused:
    Good to know I can run at the front, just behind the two really quick boys ( like 5-10% faster than everyone else) and did that for three runs:cool:, but annoying to let it slip at the end. Chalk it down to a learning experience, and just remember it is only my first year and the rest have been at it for years. :blush:
    Still got a 3rd in class, mention at the end of the event ( I like the wee clapping bit for top three in each class:p) and I'm still quicker than my daughter, JUST:p
    Still on for 3rd overall in the club championship

FYI - the picture above is her driving:eek::p

• Like Like x 5
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Not particularly spectacular, as it was so wet and slippy, getting any speed was not easy.

• Like Like x 4
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

That's the grass season over, just a couple of tar tests and then three 12 cars to finish the year off (+ maybe another Targa).

Reasonably pleased with my 6th place finish, on my first full year competing on grass. Considering these guys have been at it for years, and a couple are regular full stage rally drivers (5th place just won the Scottish Rally Chamionship 2WD):p.

upload_2019-10-1_22-8-6.png

:cool:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well done Mr O, great watching your progress through the year, even if it was on four wheels. Only kidding enjoyed your progress and updates.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well done MrO love the commentary, videos & photos, looks like a right laugh! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Well done. It's been good to see your exploits this year.

Keep it up. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

IMG_20191003_150221.jpg
    Following the targa, I realise I'm a bit crap at tar tests ( handbraking & doughnuts around cones). So I am going to do the 2 tar tests this month with our club.

One of the problems is the handbrake on the mini is shite. I have adjusted it up but still shite. So I'm looking to fabricate a lever extension.

Photo above is just proof of concept. I will be welding the angled part to the sleeve, and replacing the jubilee clips with exhaust type Mikalor clips. Jubilee clips did hold it, but after a couple of off / on, they just stripped the threads.

Could weld it on, but needs to be removed for MOT and 12 Car Rallies later in the year.

Looks a lot closer to gearstick than it really is, but enough room for my fist when car is in 1st gear. Just misses gearstick knob when in 2nd gear. :p

The designing and fabrication is as much fun as driving:blush:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    The only answer is a separate hydraulic handbrake. Not difficult to do, but I hear rumours that they are to be banned on clubman road going vehicles.