Goretex Pro Laminated Jackets, Worth The Cost?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Cooky Boy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    My Mrs bought an Oxford Mondail jacket, very reasonably priced.
    I bought the trousers but I haven't tried them yet

• Like Like x 2
  2. splodge

splodge New Member

Aug 21, 2017
    York
    #22 splodge, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
  4. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

I have a Klim suit (my second) and they’re totally waterproof,providing you remember to close all the air vents.
    I’ve been through various shit storms without leakage,they’re heavy (like Rukka) but reliable.
    If you’re hoping to do a long distance tour,then try and get the best that you can afford.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. odie

odie New Member

Sep 15, 2020
    west mids
    #25 odie, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    I have had a couple of halvarssons oer the years they are good waterproof and last well but not laminated. Bought a second hand rukka as an impulse to see if they are any good (and it was a bargain) have not worn anythingelse since except warm days. The rukka pro shell is ace never cold even in heavy storms (dragon rally weekend last year). I know its a clique about rukka but worth the extra In my humble opinion bought trousers for me and full set for the missus (she rides without a fairing in the winter) I like them that much. There are lots of deals out there dont be scared by the RRP.

• Like Like x 4
  6. MotoDruid

MotoDruid Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Indianapolis, IN
    In my quest for the ideal waterproof jacket I tried lots of items form Dainese, Rev-It, Alpinestars and Rukka ( I currently own a non Goretex Rukka). I've always thought the liner idea to be a dumb way to achieve dryness because the outer layer is always going to be soaked through and not be magically dry when it stops raining.
    Even though it was more expensive than some of the others with liners I finally settled on a Klim Gore-Tex jacket. It has no liners and plenty of vents for the summer heat. I wear my own base and mid layers for adaptability, sometimes resorting to a heated liner when it's really cold.
    Overall, I'm impressed with the windblocking and waterproofing and more importantly, feel the fit is just right being a bit chinkier in the mid section whereas the European jackets felt a bit tight fitting around the belly and had skinnier arms.
    Being from Devon I know what it's like to arrive home for Christmas soaked through or with a 1/4" of ice on the outside of your jacket.
    Good luck with your search.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Having read all the sage advice from members I have taken the plunge and purchased some goretex laminate kit at no small expense.
    I finally settled on Dainese sport master jacket and matching trousers.
    Purchased from Fowlers of Bristol who price matched the best uk prices.
    Although European prices are at lot less, Brexit has made importing anything from the EU subject to unseen added costs.
    Luckily, Fowlers had both jacket and trousers in stock.
    Looking forward to getting wet in them now!
    Thanks to one and all for your advice!
    Cooky.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Glad you are sorted. Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. odie

odie New Member

Sep 15, 2020
    west mids
    Hope the advice helped.
    Glad you managed to find the right kit.

10. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    04DB4B66-C082-41F5-8441-B372BAD63E75.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    That’s why I’ve got a scooter

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    In have a laminated jacket, its Gortex but being honest not sure if its Gortex Pro.

Another big factor on laminates is when they do get wet, outside or in they dry out MUCH faster.

Touring in a 3 layer Gotex jacket (outer fabric, inner gortex membrane, inner padded quilt) for years and if got wet would hang up in the hotel room and in the morning it was dri(er) but always damp and took a few days to dry out fully.

Laminated, well than can feel dry to wear in a few hours in a warm room and I have NEVER had it feel wet in the morning. Just dont soak the water up like a sponge.

Yes they are expensive, are they worth it, depends on how much riding you do but I would say yes BUT the design of the jacket is important, no point having the best material in the world if it comes in through seams, zips etc.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    For anyone else like me that struggles to justify paying for laminated kit then the Richa Rain Warrior jacket and trousers are really an excellent option to consider at £30 and £20 respectively. Really sturdily made, very effective at keeping you dry underneath, they quickly dry out after use and are easy to pull on and off over boots.

Obviously not all of the benefits of laminated, but they cheaply convert regular jackets, jeans etc. into fully waterproof kit for wet days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    Proper Goretex Laminate still seems quite expensive, however the own-brand laminates seem to work really well and are significantly cheaper. Very happy with my Dainese D-Dry XT gear.

• Like Like x 1
  15. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I toured through Europe in heavy torrential rain. I stayed completely dry with the following gear....

Plus warm in the mountains

Richa Cyclone Jacket + Held waterproof over jacket

Alpinestars Durban Laminated Gortex Trousers

Richa Atlantic GTX gloves

Sidi ST Gortex Boots

Forcefield Technical Base Layer

When not raining.....removed the top waterproof jacket and the jacket was cool enough in hot weather with vents open.

If funds are no objection then I would go Laminated Gortex all the way.

All the best
    H

• Like Like x 1