Good Day To You All

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by John Stocum, Jul 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Stocum

John Stocum New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    USA
    A little over a month ago I bought a 2017 Triumph Bonneville. It was from a Triumph dealership approx. 50 miles from my home. It had never been registered hence it sold with a New bike with the full factory warranty. When I purchased it, it seemed to me that there was a problem in the drive train. To me it seemed like there was excessive play in the chain drive to the wheel. It felt like if you has the throttle and released it that there was a, I don't know how to explain it but when you went from a coast to the throttle that the excess play inn the chain would jerk the bike when the slack was taken out of the drive chain. it would jerk pretty bad. Mind you this is my first bike so I'm not to familiar as to weather this is normal or not. Bare in mind that I have been an auto mechanic for 45 years. To me if I were to experience this on a car or a truck, I would be looking for a problem in the drive train. Ie. driveshaft, universal joints or differential issues. Not having been a former bike owner I only have my auto repair experience to suggest that there is a problem and doubt that this is a problem. Hence my being here asking if this is normal. Bear in mind I did adjust the slack in the drive chain. And for a short while the problem seemed much better. But 1000 miles later the problem has returned and worse than before. The chain drive has no excessive play in it so I know that is not the issue. I only ask because I know how dealerships work and in a lot of cases they will tell you Oh that's normal. But if this were a car of truck I would know better. If I put the bike in gear with the engine off and rock the bike back and forth it will move 2 to 3 inches back and forth until where ever that slop is coming from has been removed. Am I being overly cautious here or am I correct in assuming that there is a problem here. The problem seems far worse at very slow speeds such as when you are doing low speed maneuvers. U turns figure 8s ect. I just don't want to drive 100 miles round trip to the dealer , only to have them tel;l me Oh that is normal.
    Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You John Stocum 2017 Bonneville T100

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome from a fellow newbie

• Like Like x 1
  3. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    The chain (or cush drive rubbers) are about the only thing that can give an actual mechanical jerk and if you are confident on chain adjustment it is unlikely to be either of those things on a new bike anyway.

It sounds lean - hesitation/surging off low throttle?
    That will give a jerky motion when applying throttle at low rpm especially in a mid-range gear

• Like Like x 2
  4. DenFer

DenFer New Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Quebec Montreal
    #4 DenFer, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    I purchased a T100 2015 2 months ago with few klm on (just got out 1st inspection) Bike was stored 4 years but started, & driven around block to get oil running.
    Got similar problem, It idle very sweet first gear fine but more likely in second, kick or surge, i taught it was my riding skill, so i try shifting lower, quicker in second or higher rpm, But went stopped or got in traffic or parking lot it will surprise me again. So kind of lived with that reaction until lately I swap bike with my son, he just purchased a street twin 2019 and first comment was that weird or small hesitation or surge that make the bike made shifting in second gear. Now i have put 2000 klm. chain measured, (1" loose) next step check filter obstruction.
    Now that i am reading all your comments, seems that most of the bikes are too lean from factory.
    Q. Will an aftermarket air filter help ? Are does those bike fussy, do they prefer a particular brand?
    Q. Will it be worth to remove A.I. or should i wait to make mods update at the same time?

5. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    When bikes like ours went to fuel injection vs carbs, and throttle by wire some have an annoying surge at low speeds. My 2018 Street Cup doesn’t seem so bad, but maybe I’m just used to it. Practice slow speed maneuvering in a parking lot, paying attention to using the friction zone with the clutch. It’s different than a manual trans in an auto. If all else fails, some have reported a booster plug fitted smooths out slow speed throttle by tricking the ECU into richening up the mixture.

• Like Like x 1