Featured Gmu 2021, Here We Come!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Jul 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, COVID has done a number on 2020's GMU plans so it seems. :( But there's nothing if not hope for the future! :) And hopefully no global catastrophes will interfere with GMU in 2021. Mr. Sandi and I are already anticipating the event and building in some additional travel around the UK and to his ancestral home which according to ancestry.com is Cornwall.

IMG_8840.jpeg

Our wedding anniversary was about a week ago and this map and these books were his gift to me in anticipation of our travels next summer. :) That and six bottles of Turley Zinfandel. :yum So we're looking forward to the opportunity to meet a number of forum members in person a year from now!

• Like Like x 22
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    P.S. I'm thinking we might need to bring a dictionary with us even though English is our common (or not so common sometimes?) language. :joy:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.33.58 AM.png

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just bring money:heart_eyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    That sounds great Sandi. Will you be bringing your own bikes? Hiring? How does that work?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #5 Sandi T, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    That's a terrific question, @Thripster. @joe mc donald has offered to assist in this area, bless his heart. But otherwise I've not done much research into this yet. I don't think we'd be inclined to ship our bikes but instead would be looking to collect/rent bikes when we arrive. A couple of years ago we were looking into booking a trip around Ireland through a company called Edelweiss Bike Travel. But that was before his ancestry.com report when Mr. Sandi was still under the (mistaken) notion that he was Irish. :joy: So to answer your question--I'm not sure how that works! If you or any other members out there have some thoughts, I'm all ears! :):heart:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the suggestion and link, Thripster! :) I just checked out the website. What a terrific selection of bikes! There are several that interest me. I was also happy to see that this company is the UK's Eagle Rider dealer. Whereabouts is Silverstone Race Curcuit?

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No problem Sandi, we can help with translations before you get here - you have at least a year to practice.
    We can also teach you how to swear properly! :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Silverstone is in Northamptonshire - sort of NNW of London by about sixty miles at a guess. Yes, they have a good selection and some have options with panniers etc (eg: Tracer 900 GT).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #10 Sandi T, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Thanks, Steve! Do you think of year will be sufficient?? Regarding the swearing, the key word would be "properly". I definitely already get lots of practice swearing improperly.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I will look for Northamptonshire on the map that is in the photo I posted. :) And the Tracer was one of the bikes that caught my eye. :heart_eyes: One of my best riding buddies has one and he really likes it a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Big deposits needed for hire bikes, methinks.
    Ken.
    Hi Sandy T;
    Friend from MD, one from CO and myself was having discussions about English content in us.
    Chap from CO. Insists he’s 100 % Irish but wouldn’t take the test.
    Friend from MD had a kit sent from Ancestry to me...did it and sent it to their facility in Ireland. From there it went back to USA for testing
    I have about 8% Johnny Foreigner in me.
    Must say, it didn’t sound very conclusive and a bit ambiguous.
    Think it cost my friend $79 which was wasted, in my opinion.
    Seems like there aren’t any thoroughbreds about.
    Hope to have a pint with you both, if you make it. :)
    Cheers, Ken.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Whhhaaaaat??? Oh boy, Smilinjack, I think you're right about that interpreter! :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Sandi, I also looked up bike rentals in the UK, when I crossed the channel for my first GMU.
    The problem for me was, that they require an account of the traffic-penalties you have in the UK to prove you are ‚roadworthy‘. In the UK, you get this from the feds, but us foreigners have other systems if any at all.

Now, if you can not provide this slip, the bikes become really EXPENSIVE. (It was around 190,-£ per day for an average naked bike, like a Street Triple).

I opted for a rental-car then and chased the bunch as they hustled down the road. Not the mostest of fun, but @Dozers Dad and me stayed dry through the local torrential rain-showers... ;)

And hey: I cannot imagine the fun we are going to have if we all should be able to meet up in 2021 :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Winglad:
    Thanks for sharing this information, Daniel. It didn't really even occur to me about proving we're roadworthy and the other considerations of riding in another country. Doh... :rolleyes: It's probably a good thing to be starting to make plans so far in a advance. I've lots to consider and lots to learn! And from the sounds of it, some of that learning will relate to typical weather patterns for the time of the year that GMU is held. I suspect, however, that rain is always a highly likely occurrence. ;)

Do any of you other forum members who have ridden in foreign countries have experiences and recommendations related to renting bikes? I know a number of you from Europe have ridden in the U.S. What were the requirements if you rented bikes?

You are right, Daniel....I cannot imagine the fun we're all going to have if we are able to meet up in 2021! :grinning::grinning::grinning:

• Like Like x 5
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Bikerman, that narrows it down! :joy::joy::joy:

We have done long-ish trips (8-9 days) in the summer where we've experienced everything from snow and temps below freezing in the mountains, rain, wind, and heat around 110ºF. That worked out ok as we had packed for all of those possibilities. It might be a bit more difficult to pack with the travel involved with getting to GMU and the UK but probably well worth it to be ready for a variety of conditions.

And, no, I don't think the UK tourist board is likely to hire you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look at www.a1moto.com Sandi for bike hire. Situated just outside York city walls. Depends on where you end up I guess, but a trip to Yorkshire is ALWAYS a good thing!:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The weather is changeable here Sandi and this will be more noticeable depending on which end of the country you are - the Highlands of Scotland are always going to be colder than the south coast of England for example, but we have a temperate climate so you're not likely to experience extreme temperature changes.
    Average temperatures across the UK for July are usually between 21°C (70 °F) to 12 °C (53 °F) - today's temp in the south is around 19°C (66°F) but hopefully rising to 24°C (75°F) next week just to give you an idea! :cool:
    Just pack your waterproofs!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Be great to see you in the UK @Sandi T. at the 2021 GMU. I'm assuming you will be flying into London. I did a google search and found this bike hire business https://www.superbikerental.co.uk/contact.php in the south east which is close to London (I've not used them, just an example). I'm sure there are many more companies across the country, so a lot will depend on where you intend to start your journey to the GMU from. What ever you decide it will be great to see you guy's :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Sounds great Sandi. Let me know if you need any help with the Cornish investigations. Quite happy to search out places , homes, grave yards for you if needed etc as I live in Cornwall.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1