Gmu 2019 Proposals

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#1 MrOrange, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2018
    We are now actively looking for proposals for next years Grand Meet Up. Been enough weeks to have savoured and basked in the glory of what was GMU 2018 Wales.

As anybody that has been to the last 2 events, you will have witnessed the excellent provisions of food and accomodation laid on by all concerned, along with plenty of good miles to ride on.

For a proposal, we are looking for a range of acommodation to suit a range of pockets, from camping, bunkhouse, B&B, hotels, house rents, etc. The most important of these is a 15+ bed bunkhouse with self catering facilities to host our annual grand feast.

We would also be looking for 2 excellent ride-outs (150-180 miles) to entertain all abilities, including somewhere soft for a certain someone to drop themselves and their bikes at ;):p.

Amenities - shop / pub / takeaway are real bonus but not essential as proven by the team this year. Also a big scary off-road death ride up to the bunkhouse will also be accepted.:p

So get your thinking caps on, and during the month of august we are looking for these proposals to come in, ready to get booked for early September (we did last year). As we come to the end of the month, and we have some VIABLE proposals come in, we will close this thread and start up a poll, just to let the majority decide where were going next year. If previous enterants wish to resubmit and do the same again, please feel free to do so as both were excellent venues and roads.

I am sure Ade, Roooster and myself will be able to help you out with any advice or a look over before you launch it to all. I will happily help anybody that is looking to step up and take the helm next year. Spreading the workload around would help with the continued survival of our little jolly.

I have locked this thread, anyone wishing to submit a proposal, get in touch and I will unlock it for you to post. Otherwise the would get lost in the pages of drivel.:kissing_heart::p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

July 2017 - (provisionally 18th - 21st)

My proposal that this years event be based in Bellingham, Northumberland just south of the Kielder Reservoir, close to the Scottish Borders. The accomodation available is a bunkhouse at Bellingham, which also offers camping facilities and has a communal area for folk to sit drink, banter and take the piss.

BUNKHOUSE
    [​IMG]
    LINK to WEBSITE

The bunkhouse sleeps up to 15 people, these are divided into 3 rooms of 3, 4 & 8 bed rooms. All bedding is provided, but you have to provide your own teddy bear. The rate is £21 pppn for the bunkhouse.

CAMPING

Camping is also available at the same place, and is only £9.00 pppn.

CHEVIOT HOTEL, Bellingham

[​IMG]

This is for those posh people, who don't want to listen to the plebs snoring and farting through the night ;):D.
    The Cheviot is also a nice place to eat and drink, and could be used as the pub / gathering place for the weekend.

Other Accomodation.

There are houses for rent, B&B's and assorted accomodation in Bellingham, Riverdale Hotel and on a previous visit some of us hired a cottage between us, close to the cheviot hotel. I can get details if required.

In the village

Bellingham is a small village, with a Co-op shop, it has a great wee cafe open for breakfasts, a petrol station (one pump, so don't all go on the morning of the runs !!!!). It is small enough for us to keep together, but not on top of each other. Cooking facilities at the bunkhouse, so can buy and prep food if you want. These are not for campers, but sure nobody will comment if we wanted to use. Co-op has a good selection of beers and wines(for the ladies). Also stock JD, I would ensure they double their stock prior to Dilli turning up and drinking them dry.

Rides

These will be either the same as last time (but in the dry), or some new routes taking you more to the respective coasts - East and West. I will ask what is prefered come the time and offer up a few different routes. Would like to take you over into Dumfries and Galloway, there are some brilliant roads which are totally empty of speed camera's, 40 & 50 mph speed limits and pretty much guarenteed not to meet a single rozzer or scamera van.

Was asked by a few people at GMU2018 if I would run this again and I happily would. Great venue, great village and loads of brilliant roads.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    May 2019

Tuesday 21st ending on Friday 24th ( 3 nights)

For the 2019 GMU I would like to propose Callander as the venue, it's a small town in the Trossachs known as the Gateway to the Highlands with easy access to some great roads.there is a Tesco Extra and a Spar shop at the multi pump Esso fuel station

The Bunkhouse http://www.callanderhostel.co.uk/

P1000803.JPG
    Callander Bunkhouse is a couple of minutes walk from the town centre,all bedding is provided and all beds have plug sockets and USB charging facilities, the price per night is £19.50, there is a BBQ area at the back and they have a BBQ we could use
    P1000805.JPG
    as for accomodation they have..

(6 beds) – Room name “Dochart”

(8 beds) – Room name “Teith”

(8 beds) – Room name “Leny”

Room name “Bracklinn” – Twin/Double sleeps 2 (private room which is £60 a night)

Room name “Ben Ledi” – Twin/Double sleeps 4 (private room which is £100 a night)

The café/lounge area will seat about 25 plus there is a separate hall that they rent out but I don’t think we would need this.there is a large private car park at the rear

Hotels

There are several hotels in Callander, I would recommend The Crown Hotel which is only a few minutes walk from the hostel, http://www.crownhotelcallander.co.uk/
    crown hot.jpg

they have 5 twin rooms, 1 double room and 1 single room,she has agreed to giving us a special price of £80 per room per night (normal price is £90-£100) they don’t have private parking as such but she said we could use the area where she stores the beer barrels and bins (the archway with the wooden gates to the right of the hotel) it would probably hold maybe 6 bikes.

The other hotel I would recommend is the Dalgair House Hotel it has a parking area at the back of the hotel, again it is close to the hostel https://www.dalgair-house-hotel.co.uk/
    dalgair hot.PNG

They have 3 twin rooms and 3 double rooms at £55.00 a night (so sharing a room would only be £27.50 per person)

They also have a family room that has 4 separate beds at £120 a night

There are several other hotels but the majority have double rooms only, I can put links up to other Hotels,B&Bs later if need be

B&Bs

Again several available

The one I would recommend is “Southfork Villa” which is a few minutes walk from the hostel,
    southfork villa.jpg
    It has 2 twin rooms and 2 double rooms and they are £70 per room

It has private parking and the owner was telling me her husband and her son both have bikes

If need be I can put links up to other B&Bs

Camping

There is Keltie Bridge Caravan park on the outskirts of the town its about 1.5miles from the hostel

Routes
    I have two cracking routes in mind, one which would take you North West and the other North East both would be approx 165 miles, but could easily be made shorter or longer....I can put up the routes if need be

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Going to move all yer shite to banter thread :p;)

Get confusing, if we are talking on two threads. :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2