Gmu 2019 Banter

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Aug 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #181 TEZ 217, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    I cant do it Sir honest :confused: how many times you heard that one ;)
    You could still organise it though !!! :p
    I think that's just an excuse, I need a letter from your parents confirming that :D.
    Play the nick on the Fri and Monday have a long weekender Simples :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark Slattery

Mark Slattery Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Ireland
    I'll do whatever UK run and if your thinking off he west of Ireland I'm in and I'd safely say @Havit would join us too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

[QUOTE="TEZ 217, post: 209600, member: 4187"
    You could still organise it though !!! :p
    /QUOTE]

Aye, feckin sure I'm going to do that!!!! :p:joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    My vote. 2019 Late July Bellingham. We know Bellingham works. I wasn't at GMU2016, but if folks were happy with accommodation etc in the Peaks then I'd just as happily go with that.

And let's start planning 2020 now so as not to rush it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Thanks Sir :D:D We all know we can rely on Ron, - Crack On times of the essence.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Have we any other proposals ? Are we just going to Bellingham then?

If so, I'll get in touch with the owners of the bunkhouse and check all clear and which weekend is best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm happy with Bellingham again - the fact that the hotel and bunkhouse were so close worked out well for everyone. It would also be nice to do the ride outs in the sun this time (or at least with it not raining). Please arrange for this Ron! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Whilst I like Bellingham for many reasons and would be happy to go again my concern is the lack of accommodation. With the Bunkhouse only having room for 15 that leaves a further 20+ needing alternative accommodation. The Cheviot Hotel (£248 for 3 nights) only has a few rooms and the only other local hotel is the Riverdale Hotel (£348 for 3 nights) other accommodation is either expensive or a drive away.

There is of course a camp site next to the Bunkhouse, but if we were considering a camping rally then that opens up the possible locations considerably.

That said if nobody can come up with an alternative, it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Dont forget to ask if the cooker now heats oven and rings to hot , at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #190 Dougie D, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    I've been in touch again with several places that would be suitable.. Crianlarich,Callander,Aviemore, Fort William to name just a few, the fact that last year Tyndrum was deemed to be too far for the majority of folk, i think the best venue from the above would be Callander as it is slightly nearer.. EG from Carlisle it's 125 miles (Tyndrum is 154 miles)
    The hostel has been sold recently so a new website is in the process and the owner is going to get back to me with details of prices etc.. Callander is in the Trossachs and within easy striking distance of some great roads. If we were to chose this venue i would organize it for sometime in May and it would be a Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday..like all the hostels in Scotland if we want sole use it would work out too expensive but as it's a mid week it shoudn't be as busy as weekends so theres a good chance there will be space for everyone ( i would avoid weekends up here as the roads are much busier)..there are plenty of hotels and B&Bs so that shoudn't be a problem
    Pic of Hostel..it holds 32
    hostel1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    As I recall Tyndrum was second choice last year. I don’t think is was the distance, it was more that we had just had a northern one and felt it should be Midlands based. So I would keep Tyndrum in the mix.

For those not keen on communal sleeping what are the alternatives in both Tyndrum and Callander.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Callander opens up some fantastic ride out routes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Were there not only 2 options last year? i think thats how Tyndrum was 2nd choice!..however the hostel at Tyndrum has said that it is not suitable to hold dinner for everyone attending the GMU so that means it's out the running..there are plenty of Hotels and B&Bs in Callander i've not checked them out yet as i was waiting on folks opinion first,some have already said they wouldn't attend if it was held too far north

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    @Havit Whats your thought on holding an Ireland one? i know you were pretty keen on the idea previously

15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #195 Sprinter, Aug 23, 2018
    If you look at the results of the poll already conducted then North, ( there in and here after referred to as, Scotland ) won.
    Scotland for the GMU 19.

North
        17 vote(s)
        37.0%

• South
        9 vote(s)
        19.6%

• East
        8 vote(s)
        17.4%

• West
        4 vote(s)
        8.7%

• Ireland
        9 vote(s)
        19.6%
        Central
        15 vote(s)
        32.6%

• Isle of Man
        3 vote(s)
        6.5%
    I am not biased because its close to me.
    I am totally biased cos, its the best ride out roads in the UK with the least traffic and the best scenery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Going to be an impossible task pleasing everybody I think IMHO, some prefer camping, or Hostels others hotels and B&B's etc but bearing in mind these need to be fairly close to each other if we all intend getting together for a few drinks and food. Not much good when you need to organise taxi's at the end of an evening just to get to bed. :confused: Just saying :D

Seems the debate continues

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Yes and this thread seems quite lively this morning. It's a bit like being a kid in a sweet shop. First I want to go to Bellingham, oh hang on, Scotlands over there, I want that one !

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    If the hostel is all booked with us lot and also the available hotels are booked as well as the local B& B's then If you want to attend you have to camp, SIMPLE'S

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #199 Sprinter, Aug 23, 2018
    Its a bit like a compass, not so much where as which way.

20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#200 MrOrange, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
    As I said before, that poll is not worth the pixels it is written. Something like this needs to be decided by those folk willing to step up and take the job on.

You will never please everybody, and even trying to please most will not work. You can poll and decide it will be in Buxton again, but if no one steps up to organise the bunkhouse & routes - then it ain't happening. If the GMU is in Callander in May, I won't be there, as I don't get to choose my holidays. So that is not an option for me. But, if that becomes a solid proposal and chosen, that's it, majority decide. It would be impossible to keep everyone happy.

No place is going to be 'PERFECT', lack of hotels in Bellingham, hotels/shops too far away in Llanididloes, distance to Tyndrum/Callander, no place for the meal at Tyndrum, etc, etc, etc......

So the only way I see to do this is - if you want it to be held somewhere - you put a solid proposal up on the proposal thread. Then we open a poll to decide which one.

IMHO this needs to happen asap, to ensure we get in first to any bunkhouse/hotels/B&B/etc

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1