Glowing exhaust can - not header! Please help!?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by olliechapman_2, Feb 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. olliechapman_2

olliechapman_2 New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    London
    Hello

I own a triumph scrambler 2007 carb model.

Stupidly, I let the the bike sit for far too long without being started, possibly around 6 months! I took her out and then managed to run her dry before getting fresh fuel.

Once fuelled she started playing up and misfiring. Upon stopping I noticed that my top rear can was glowing red. Not the header pipes, but the can itself. This is the right hand cylinder.

I have had the carbs off and given them a good clean, thinking that the thick fuel could have blocked something in the carb. Unfortunately she still seemed to be running too hot.

The previous owner had drilled the baffles out of the exhaust and so I assumed that it could be a problem with the can. I have fitted stock cans temporarily, and the pipes are still getting very hot, too fast. I have not yet seen them glow.

There looks to be a number of threads and comments about hot header pipes and cylinders running at different temps, but has anyone seen anything as above?

Any thoughts chaps?

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Remove the cans and see if it runs ok, if so your cans are scrap.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Sounds to me like the engine is running far too lean.

• Like Like x 1
  4. olliechapman_2

Aug 13, 2015
    London
    #4 olliechapman_2, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    I have tried two sets of cans on the bike. First set were drilled and glowed. Second set got hot very quickly. I am presuming lean running. Could it be an air leak somewhere?

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Have you checked the plugs yet?

6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    So one can gets hot. Have you run it with the cans off ?
    And what about the spark plug colour ?

7. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^^Spark plug color, great call guys. Also if you have or can borrow one of those thermal imaging meters you can check variance in temperature at various parts of the engine, might help localize it.

8. olliechapman_2

Aug 13, 2015
    London
    Hi,

The bike runs fine with the pipes off. But please bear in mind that we have run two different sets of scrambler cans on her.

Spark plugs are normal colour, poss a little black but not white!

9. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I admit I don't know scramblers that well but is there a cat (not puss type) in the pipe. Remember having daytona 600 on the dyno and a few mins after stopping it was still glowing red hot down the pipe where the cat is.