Gloves

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Clarkey, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Can anybody recommend some good winter glove
    I don't ride everyday but need a glove that will keep my hands toasty for a couple of hours

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  3. Clarkey

Sep 28, 2014
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #4 thebiglad, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Hi Clarkey, the sat-nav charger will only take a tiny amount of juice and the crucial element of this equation is not so much the battery but the charging circuit.If this is in good condition then there will be no issue.

To check this out you need to identify:

1. How much juice your sat-nav takes when charging in amps;

2. What rating has the charging circuit got in amps;

3. How much in amps would be taken by the heated grips (less than 4 amps).

Honestly if everything is working correctly on your bike there should no reason for not using heated grips.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clarkey

Sep 28, 2014
    Thanks again big lad what would you recommend their seems to be 3 major players
    Oxford,R&G and data tool
    I like the idea of the data tool as it has a simple thumb operated switch

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I don't know as much about the others,but I do favour Oxford products in general. Re the Oxford heated grips they have a 5 position setting switch PLUS they have a current-sensing circuit which saves your battery being run-down if you forget to turn of them off, when you park the bike.

With this circuit there is no need to find a switched-live, which makes the installation easier.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I have oxfords on my Sprint. The problem for me with hotgrips is your fingers still get cold, they warm the palms of your hands and the extremities get cold unless you wrap your fingers round the bars all the time and I sure dont. I have fitted bar protectors on my bike now tho and they help to duct the cold air away a little which helps. If I had the cash I would buy heated gloves instead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

+1 on the oxford heated grips. Excellent heated grips. Had them on the GSXR750, wouldn't be without them again, except the America has 1" bars and doubt I'll be taking it out until it is decent weather.

I also have a pair of Alpinestars GTX winter gloves, they are the best gloves I have ever owned, in terms of keeping warm and dry, but they won't keep your hands warm for a couple of hours at this time of year. Was out on the KTM today in the snow and within 1/2 hour fingers were getting nippy.

Word of warning tho', if you use Goretex (GTX) gloves and put on heated grips, they are no longer waterproof! this is because for goretex to work, it has to be warm on the inside and not the outside. Found this out the hard way !!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. baldybiker

baldybiker Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hertford
    I am using these RST gloves at the moment. They have a rechargeable batteries which fit neatly into a sleeve on the underside of the gauntlet part. I find them rather comfy I must say. They have two or three heat settings which are operable from the outside of the glove, you can see the square button in the picture.
    I also find them rather nice without the heating element on when it is not quite cold enough to use. rst-thermotech-heated-gloves.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Three of us were out for about 4 hours on a Saturday morning run. My mate had his RST gloves on and said his fingers were freezing, I had my Goretex winter gloves on, which have two linings, one for cold and one for very cold and was fine. My other mate has heated grips and complained that his hands were warm but his thumbs were cold, which confirms what sprintdave said.

11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    After having heated grips on two bike now I must say I still have cold finger ends so to me it's a fail. I'm now going to try heated gloves as I've a general non motorcycling pair of heated gloves from maplin and well impressed.

12. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
  13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Nancy boys!! When I were a nipper, back in the day when I was despatch riding, didn't have enough time to take gloves off then put em back on so used to ride with fingerless gloves, handlebar muffs and cut off jumper sleeves covering the area around my wrists. Did me all through the winter 10 hrs a day 5 days a week, you ain't had it so good blah blah!
    Can't wait to try out the heated grips on my tiger!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You may? be taking the piss, but it does actually work :););) Especially the freebys.

15. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I've got the Richa glove which are OK up to a point.
    My wife has Reynards,which means her hands get cold a lot quicker,so we've tried just about every combination.
    Best one's seem to be heated gloves or heated grips with hand guards.

16. Clarkey

Sep 28, 2014
    Thanks for all your input lads still unsure which way to go but I think I will be going down the heated grips route with some new gloves
    Know that's another question

17. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Bloody car by the sounds of it!! Snigger snigger

18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Evening standard, and you had to pay for it!

19. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry clarkey hijacked your post.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yorkshire Evening Post - a touch of quality among the morass.