Featured Glad It's Back

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by FarkyNell, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chiari1

chiari1 Elite Member

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    Sorry if i have missed it as due to work i have just sat down and read through all of this , Has the Gentleman had a lifetime ban or will he allowed to state his case at sometime in the future

• Like Like x 1
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    That would be up to Rob.

3. chiari1

chiari1 Elite Member

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    Ah well at least thats cleared that up

4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Please excuse a non-relevant message! @Sandi T. pm sent! ;)

Right, lads - back on yer 'eads!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    :D Favourite joke that. Always cited when coming off a break.

• Like Like x 2
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Whilst I did not follow every post/thread etc that DD (Jez) was involved in, he came across as someone who would always stand his ground and say what he thought. He'd make an excellent Yorkshireman - blunt, stubborn, forthright etc., saying it like it was. No harm in that then.

He was also one of the leading lights herein with a willingness to help wherever he could. Look back at the GMUs to see his input - and I didn't even attend one! He cottoned on to the fact that SWMBO was having health problems and became an excellent shoulder for me to lean on when I was feeling pretty low and helpless. And that is the spirit and attraction of this forum. Support is always there if needed.

I've never been offended by anything he has said on the forum, although he could easily be misunderstood. We have all probably written something which, if spoken face to face, would just be a bit of banter - body language, facial expressions etc. - and taken as such. Therein I believe is the problem eg, "You bloody shithead!", when written as is, can easily be deemed offensive, but said in the right tone of voice or face to face and a whole new meaning can be realised. Your average 'snowflake' will never understand that though.

Personally, I would never set out to be abusive or offensive but it's easy to see how it can happen. Mr.O didn't like it when I called Nicola Sturgeon "Wee Jimmy Crankie" in a post many years ago and said as much on open forum. I decided that was an a**e and just left it at that, as a reply would just be my precious time wasted. He must have thought that he was still in school and I was one of his pupils!

I believe that there was a post on this thread which claimed that DD was banned without any reason being given to him at the time. I may be mistaken and it was on another thread, but then again it may just have mysteriously disappeared.

I do remember elsewhere that Jez was trying to right some perceived wrongs, including asking for a line to be drawn under the whole situation and to move on. Can't remember the details or who he fell out with but I assume that he was unsuccessful.

On the surface it seems that it was a storm (albeit a big one) in a teacup that got out of hand and should have been sorted out amicably. Surely we are big enough, old enough, ugly enough, wise enough and intelligent enough to sort out any squabbles that occur herein. Just because they seem to shout the loudest, and remember that empty vessels make the most noise, that is no reason why the easily offended (snowflakes if you prefer) should win all the time. The pc brigade are a sad minority in this country and need to 'grow a pair'. I would hate to have to rely on them in a real crisis!!

I have tried to keep this post as general as possible as, like almost everyone else, we can only comment on what have seen or have been told by those who know, and they're not saying much (probably the best way really, to be fair). I can't help thinking that this whole sorry affair has been badly handled, but lack of detail may lead to wrong conclusions. But shutting the site down without notice was not a very clever idea IMHO. I left school over 50 years ago, so please don't treat me like a child, and have some respect for your members herein.

Now, I wonder if Jez would come back if invited. Hmmmmmm ......!

Just to be helpful .... would a yellow card/sin bin system be of any value if things get a bit too feisty?
    Just a thought.

Please excuse the ramblings of a self professed old fart.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Havit,
    I understand that, but, is there a valid reason members can’t have their name removed?
    Thanking you,Ken.

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Valid or not I imagine Rob can command a better revenue (indirectly helping the active membership) by maintaining a longer list of users.

While jotting, having just read the Goolie’s thoughtful and fair minded piece, I wonder whether there is any scope to rehabilitate DD in return for suitable display of sackcloth and ashes? I can’t think any offence taken is that deep rooted.

There is clearly no great appetite amongst the inmates to make his departure terminal and he seemed to enjoy being in the stocks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I thought DD had had his name removed. I can’t find it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It’s spelt VOLDEMORT o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    His name has been removed and replaced with a 'deleteduser' entry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield

This.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield

And, this. My twopenn'orth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    As far as I know you can . I'm sure Rob can do that. I think they are left on so that your post are left up as they may be useful to other forum members. Like bike info or rides ect and of course I case you decide to return at some point .

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I can’t remember when I joined, probably 3 or 4 years ago when I got my bike. But I always found this place to be a wealth of useful information, full of predominantly knowledgeable biking people. I’ve had help here from total strangers, who through their advice have helped me sort issues with my bike that otherwise would’ve required me to take it to and pay a mechanic. I’ve also met up with members and had help working on the bike that again meant I didn’t have to pay for a mechanic. Isn’t that in itself great about this place?!

Admittedly I’ve always sort of stuck to my area of the forum and haven’t really got involved much but that’s just life circumstances for me at the moment. 2 young children means I just can’t dedicate as much time to plodding around on my bike as I would like. I’ve gone months at times without posting or even logging on but I was sad to see the forum down the other day.

I’ve always known that when I do have the time this is the place I would come if I wanted to get involved in a ride out or to see what’s going on locally. And if there was a biking problem I wanted help with, I’d be asking for advice on here.

I’ve no idea what the falling out was over and don’t really care to know. But Forums like these are made great by all the different people on them, no (or very few) members = a dull forum and that would be a great shame.

Cheers,
    Sean :)

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good to hear from you again James :cool:

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016