Givi Engine Bar Installation Chronicle

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Name, Jun 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Right, so I successfully installed my engine bars today. I ordered GIVI TN6410 engine bars for t100 and t120 2016-2019 from Revzilla for about 100 bucks. They arrived and i thought cool, four bolts in and out Bob's your fkn uncle. Wrong, but i took some pictures along the journey in case anyone else decides to undertake this without paying somebody else to do it. So first of all these are fixed to the frame via the engine mounting bolts which have a 17 mm lock nut on the back side. They are designed to re use the same bolts although they send replacement washers. These lock nuts are in a difficult position to reach as you will see particularly the top ones.

20190611_192755.jpg

20190611_234615.jpg

2. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Now necessary or not i decided in the interest of safety to never have more than one of these bolts removed at a time. The best way to accomplish this was to remove the lower bolt from the left side first. There are a few ways to get ahold of the nut on the back, but i ultimately chose a friend and some socket extensions when possible although the right wrenches could certainly get the job done.

20190611_192811.jpg

3. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Once i had loosened the bottom i left it in place and proceeded to loosen the top bolt both on the same side leaving myself at least 6 other engine mounts firmly in place. To reach the top one seemed impossible initially and i ended up using a wrench which I padded with a rag and let brace against the frame work. Rag not pictured to maintain what im attempting to show. Note that this wrench is not fully seated on the nut due to the angle and later when it came time to torque these back in place i switched to a flex end wrench which only just fit in and needed to be stabilized from the other side

20190611_185134.jpg

20190611_235551.jpg

4. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Once these bolts were loosened the next step was to first remove the bottom bolt and not and discard the stock washer. Then mount the bar with the bolt pushing through in this order the bar mount, washer, frame, engine mount and finally back to lock nut. I then did the sane for the top mount with the exception that the top mount on the left side was assembled different and appeared greased and maybe somebody can shed light on what or why this is the way it is, but for my purposes long story short i kept the oem washer here, but otherwise assembled the same. Once both snugged into place a proceeded to torque both bolts to 78 pound foot (105nm). This was easier written than accomplished and likely would be easiest with the help of a friend and a high quality long handle torque wrench. It is very important to use a torque wrench and i found out exactly why.

20190611_191643.jpg

15603170341725122555775287582027.jpg

5. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    So all that rinse and repeat on the right side. To torque bolts i used a wrench on the lock nut braced against a breaker bar which i placed against the frame with padded tags between the metal. However upon torquing the fourth and final bolt on the lower right side despite using the torque wrench and all the care in the world the oem lock nut stripped in fantastic fashion. I felt from the experience of the first three that it was just about at tightness and it gave way. I knew immediately it was stripped, but was amazed at how the threads came out in one piece like a spring. Not sure if this was a poorly machined nut or if the triumph dealer over torqued when assembling, but either way i had to get a replacement nut ands somehow the bolt remained undamaged.

20190611_203516.jpg

20190611_203531.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    That bolt doesn’t look undamaged to me, looks like the end of the thread has picked up :confused:

7. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    I did see that, but that bit is beyond the lock nut and didn't affect initial threading. It torqued to spec ‍♂️

• Like Like x 1
  8. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Have you ever seen the threads come out of a nut like that tho? My mind was blown when that perfect little spring came out of there

9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Good posting and a nice little walk through for other owners thinking of doing this, (also a chance to show off your snap on gear :cool:) well done that member :D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Wish i could say those were my tools lol. Most belong to my friend. He has everything we needed not surprisingly since he's rebuilding a supra.8)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Name

Name Member

May 23, 2019
    Omaha Nebraska
    Probably should have added this sooner. Shots of the finished product. Pretty tickled about it ands excited for tec bone parts to get back from vaca and send me new levers

Snapchat-1080884764.jpg

20190612_103324.jpg

20190612_103308.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. perfectsonnet52

perfectsonnet52 New Member

Nov 22, 2023
    Detroit
    Thank you sir for showing the 17mm flex wrench. This saved me so so so much pain and suffering. You can get it off Amazon for 10 bucks. Worth it.

13. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    Nice job! Do you think the bars might go down far enough to accommodate some foot pegs? My old legs need to stretch out a bit from time to time.

14. John Bentall

John Bentall Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Enfield, North London
    Not a chance! I would have a look at the Renntec bars that come lower.

I wish someone would lay the finished bike on its left side and let us know whether the Givi bars protect the vulnerable gear shift lever from a direct hit.

I have the Fehling bars on my T120 and use them to mount auxiliary driving lights. They might even be good for footrest mounts.

15. Steve T.

Steve T. Active Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Northern British Columbia
    Think of "crash bars" as simply protecting somewhat against a side stand topple over... sliding down the road is something else!
    I fitted the Givi bars to my T120 no problem ... and mounted my ancient (3 bikes) Twisted Throttle / Denali lights on them.