Getting The Right Insurance

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by DH88UK, Mar 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Try Carole Nash. I use them for my bike.
    Joe.

2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Most definitely a t100 865
    Joe.

3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rev clock was an option but not fitted.
    Joe

4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    May well have been released early.
    Joe.

5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DH88UK
    Welcome to the Family. Carole Nash are usually good. When you get your renewals ask them to cancel and start a new policy as they have a habit of adding a couple hundred pounds on the policy. Triumph also do their own version of the insurance if you receive grief in the future. But for now enjoy.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Changed out the tyres on my 2007 Speedmaster when I bought it last year.

Date code showed tyres were made in 2005!
    New Avon's made an immediate improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    Front tyre is 1806 rear is 3506 so I'm guessing they are the original metzelers.

They look in good condition, a few very tiny cracks on the sidewall. They feel fine to ride if a little twitchy. Although they do feel very hard to touch compared to some other bikes I've had.

8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    It would be a trip to the tyre dealers for me.

9. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Jesus; people bitch about oil being 2 yrs/600mls old and then justify not buying a safety item like tyres "a bit hard and few cracks"
    Throw them feckers in the bin and buy new ones NOW!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    Yes sir!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Well Done;
    you now need to start a Tyre thread;)

12. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    You're on :yum

13. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    We could call it a Tyre Tread Thread.:D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    New tyres done today.

Went for the cheap and cheerful Avon Roadriders, much nice and spongier :yum

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    #35 Rudeboy, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Looks like a T100 865 EFI mines the same lookalike carb bodys and with later side panels

16. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Im running those AM Roadriders quite liking them fort the price

17. DH88UK

DH88UK Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Hampshire
    Spend a while during lockdown trying to get this insurance thingy sorted (yes another pain in the ass time of year).

Managed to speak to another triumph dealer who confirmed based on chassis and and engine number that

• It is not a T100
    • It is an 865
    • It is 2007
    So after a bit of back and forth between insurers I managed to find out who is running the insurance database and sent them an email with my findings over engine sizes and years.

A couple of hours later I get a response saying they have updated it to show the 865 was from 2007 not 2008

:p:D:party:

• Like Like x 3
  18. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#40 MartyWilson, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
    Interesting saga. Based on my own research online and a very good book on Bonneville's by a Motorcycle historian called Ian Falloon, I am sure your bike is indeed a 2007 Bonneville in Goodwood Green.

Just a wee note on the history of the Bonneville.... The T100 labelling was originally created specifically for the Lucifer Orange and Silver 100th anniversary model issued in 2002 (that's what the hundred means in the name) but, after that it was used to denote a 'premium edition' which amounted to, as previously mentioned, added Tachometer, Knee pads and polished casings. The two tone paint doesn't necessarily denote a T100 as the first year Standard Bonneville came in Green and Silver and Red and Silver and, in 2002 there was a Sky blue and Silver Bonneville. The bike that was only known as a Bonneville was upgraded to the 865 engine in 2007 and discontinued (I think, though it's not entirely clear) in 2008. The T100 models went to the 865cc engine in 2005 but, otherwise apart from the aforementioned Tacho, Casings and knee pads were essentially still all the same bike. Of course, just to confuse matters, you could add these 'extras' to any Bonneville as well. I have two 2001 Bonnie's that both sport Tacho's and kneepads and one of them has the polished and lacquered engine casings where the other had them, but a previous owner had the lacquer stripped as it wasn't aging well.

Both T100's and Bonneville's were carburetted until 2008 when fuel injection was added. Fuel injection was added to meet Euro III emissions regulations rather than for any performance advantage. It appears that, in 2008, While the UK and European market models got EFI where American and Australian market models were still carburetted as they didn't need to comply with the same regulations but they also got EFI shortly afterwards.
    Both the T100 and 'original' Bonneville always had the 19" Front wheel and 17" Rear wheel although, later on in 2016(?) the T100 moved to an 18" front and 17" rear wire wheel although I think they are also tubeless after that date.

The SE(Special Edition) models are a different creature as the chassis was modified for this model to give it more modern handling where the Original Hinckley Bonneville and T100 were based on the steering geometry, dimensions and wheel sizes of the original 1959 Bonneville. Among the changes were the move to 17" alloy wheels front and rear, shorter shock absorbers, upswept megaphone exhausts instead of the peashooters, steeper steering head angle and shorter wheelbase, Tacho and kneepads. I am sure there are more differences but that should do for now.

All this info and a lot more about all the variants of the Bonneville from it's birth in 1959 to the present day can be found in the book 'Triumph Bonneville 60 Years' by Ian Falloon.

• Like Like x 2