765 Getting Skin In The Game

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by GrahamC, Aug 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Hi all, Triumph Nooob here,

I’m looking at getting a 2017 765 RS with about 5k miles. So, a couple of questions for those who’ve gone before.

Firstly, anything particular to look out for when looking the bike over and test riding it? I’ve read this forum through and nothing particular seems to stand out as being a problem area.

Secondly, what , if any margins, do the dealers have? I'm looking at bikes listed for about £8.5k. Is there much room for negotiation?

Graham

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome Graham

hi.gif

3. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Hi and thank you!

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, Graham and welcome.
    Thought you might have got a few answers by now but someone more knowledgeable than me will no doubt be along soon enough. Just don't hold yer breath!!:)

5. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Please read my thread on a clutch issue I have with my 2018 765R. I bought mine with 2k miles.

My bike is in the shop for the 2nd time. Triumph has just approved my case and the dealership is just waiting for parts. Triumph has a 2 year warranty so I’m still thankful that this issue is not costing me money at this time. But I’ll have to figure out before warranty expires next fall whether or not I keep the bike. If the clutch issue doesn’t come back, it will be an easy decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Thank you Topdec. Read your thread. That’s definitely something I’ll be looking out for on any test ride.

7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi mate, had mine about 15 months & did 5,800 miles without issue, PX against an RC8 recently, the shop it went to had mine up for £8495 & it’s already sold, but it had Arrow & evotec tail tidy, rad guard bobbins etc so worth it I guess.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Thank you Bad Billy. I also read your thread about the RS and the one about the new bike!

What sort of margin did the dealer get when he sold on your RS?

9. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Well, I took the plunge today! Picking up my new-to-me RS on Wednesday. A year old with 1500 miles on the clock.

Track day at Donny on Thursday so that we can get to know each other. I think I’ll ask to be in the novice group!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    There’ll still be some dickheads who think they are Marquez so leave your mirrors open and use them. If by Donny you mean Donington just remember there are two types of rider who go through craner curves, those who have crashed there and those who are going to crash there. (Famous Whitham quote)
    Be safe and have fun on your new bike.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Good advice Yorkshireman. Did a Ron Haslam day at Donny a couple of weeks ago. The Craner curves are most definitely a trap waiting to be sprung on the unwary.

Getting the power on too early coming out of Melbourne was what the school was most worried about.

I’ve never understood that received wisdom about not using mirrors. Maybe yes, if you’re riding to 100% of your ability. Me, I prefer to ride to 70% and keep a sharp lookout for the dickheads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum! I really wouldn't worry about the dealer margin. Depending on what they pay for the trade and the retail value of the bike, the margin could vary quite a bit (%-wise). If you like the bike and are willing to take a chance on losing it, go in with a low offer, negotiate with the dealer, and then walk out with a positive attitude. On the way out, let them know you are really interested at the right price. Maybe add that you'll have your service work done by them - that's what they really want. Most likely, they will call you back in before you leave the lot. If not, you will probably get a call from them in a few days. If not, the bike was worth that much to someone else, or the dealer paid too much for it - for some unknown reason. There will almost always be another bike at a better price.

I've literally walked in dealerships (cars and bikes) 5 times to negotiate. My record session was 6 hours haggling over the price of a truck, and I got it for my price. :) Here in the US, dealers have incentives to get rid of vehicles 1) at the end of the month (sales quotas), 2) when the new models come in to make room, 3) at the end of the year for inventory tax reasons, and 4) when they have so many vehicles, that the interest on their bank loans are killing them. I would imagine it's the same in the UK. Sometimes (rarely), they will even take a loss for one of the above reasons. Take advantage of those times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #13 topdec, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    If you're running either in the intermediate or fast group, the 'fast' guys usually gauge your speed and know when to pass you, as long as you are being consistent and predictable. So you shouldn't really have to worry about them. Focus on what's in front :)

In the novice group, I don't think many riders will pass you. Based on your avatar, it looks like you've had track experience before.

14. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It depends who turns up on the day. I’ve only done a few track days but in two of them guys put themselves in the novice group deliberately to go faster than anyone else. Fortunately it only lasted two sessions before the organisers moved them up to the intermediate class based on their lap times.

15. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    One more sleep to go!

16. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Well, first track day done without throwing it down the track. But I was so stressed about the possibility that I quit at lunchtime!! Also, the Street is, not surprisingly, a VERY different biking experience from an RT, so it all felt a bit strange and disconcerting.

What an utterly amazing bike the Striple is. I have never experienced such a good gearbox, it knocks my RT into a cocked hat. And that screen is amazing.

In fact, everything about the bike is amazing. The handling is perfect, the build quality is top notch, the service from the dealers is great, and the performance is phenomenal. But of course you guys already know that!

• Like Like x 5
  17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hmmmm ... methinks I should blag a test ride on one of those Street Triple thingies, even if I'll most likely never own one. SIGH!

18. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Glad it went well for you Graham you obviously had your thinking head on too, quitting at lunchtime is no bad thing. Seen too many track days end badly in the last session.:confused: Enjoy the bike, it sounds like you already are. :cool:

19. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Gloucester
    Thank you, I am ejoying it. Very, very much.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  20. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Graham
    Sorry for late reply, haven’t been about much lately. glad you’re enjoying the bike. Never did a track day on mine which is a shame, but did get to fully test it on the brilliant & mostly empty roads in Northern Spain. Actually thought clutch was slipping at one point but it was the clutch assist gizmo giving it a hand getting out of the corners.