Tiger 1050 Gearbox problems when engine hot - stuck on first or second

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Bastien, Mar 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bastien

Bastien New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Edinburgh
    Hi,

I just picked up a second-hand 2011 Tiger 1050 SE, 20,000 miles on the clock. About 45 minutes after I picked it up, I started noticing issues with the gearbox. After a bit more time on the bike, here is my best shot at an accurate description:

Note: These only happen when the engine is hot.
    • When coming to a stop, I cannot switch from second to first without reving the engine.
    • When stopped, I cannot move the gear lever away from first, it won't go into neutral or second. It just won't move. When I turn the engine off, it switches to neutral or second no problem. If I restart the engine, I can go from neutral to first but then same problem: cannot go back to neutral.
    I tried:
    • Checking the oil level: it is fine, about 3 quarters full. The dealer I picked it up from just changed it (or so they say).
    • Playing around with clutch cable tension: Adjusted at the engine and lever. I tried both tightening up and slackening; no change.
    When the bike is past second gear, there is no issue with gear change at all. I'm not sure what else to try. Should I change the oil anyway? The fact it only happens when the engine is hot points to oil or pressure-related issues in my opinion.

Any suggestion welcome.

Many thanks,

Bastien

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hello, welcome to the forum. Your description gives all the signs that the clutch is dragging, i.e. not disengaging properly thus not allowing the gears to shift cleanly. Don't suppose you got any warranty in the deal, can the dealer sort this for you?

3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I would definitely reject that, even if a private sale, take it back and get your money.
    Seller very unlucky or is trying to screw you.

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Sounds like you bought from a dealer so I would agree with Mr O. and take it back.
    Don't attempt any repairs or oil change or anything or it may void any warranty.
    Good luck mate and stay resolute in sorting it out.

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Had exactly this problem myself, and so did Jody.
    I changed the fiber clutch plates and change of oil and it is now fine

Cost me about 80 including plates and gaskets to do myself, a dealer would double that with an hour labour, so as said already, return and ask them to sort it, or a full refund.

"Goods are not suitable for the purpose it was intended for"
    "Known fault or one that would easily have been detected"

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bastien

Bastien New Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Edinburgh
    Thank you all for your input.

It was indeed bought from a dealer, in High Wycombe. I live in Scotland so, cannot bring it back easily but they have been very helpful so far; they paid for a fault diagnosis from a local shop.

The shop I took it to checked all the basics (cooling system, oil, cables) and flushed the engine. This has made a major difference and I no longer get mis-shifts from first to second or get stuck in second. However, I still get the Neutral/stuck in 1st issue.

I am taking it to Triumph in a week and will definitely tell them to check the clutch plates (thanks for the suggestion, Red Thunder!).

The dealer is being very helpful so I cannot complain. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1